Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 01:14 PM

335 posts, read 672,095 times

Advertisements

im sorry life is so hard and you have so much pain in the state of minnesota. poor you. its got to be such a struggle to live in minnesota being none white. why do so many people move here from mexico when there so much pain and its such a struggle? what are they thinking? somebody should say something to them about how hard it is to make it in this state where you cant walk anywhere without being harassed by whitey.

Old 05-02-2010, 02:24 PM

7,572 posts, read 8,982,177 times
303miles - Since you haven't been welcomed here on this thread, Welcome to MN I hope things get better for you here - this thread doesn't represent all of MN people (t.g.)

Here a few things that might help:

It's more about geography than race here. People are so busy hating on each other here for that, I don't think race is too close to the top. People outside the metro area hate the metro people, especially the Northern MN people.

Then there's a long standing feud between Mpls & St Paul.

Then within Mpls, there are various biases depending on where you live. For example, I'm in Edina, therefore I'm a pie eater, or is it donut eater? or maybe cake eater? Anyway, we all eat some kind of pastry I guess. You get the picture.

Get a good sense of humor and use it - often.

Old 05-02-2010, 03:06 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,631,217 times
the only people who care about race are minorities. So self concious, as if every white person is looking at them with some sort of problem. That couldn't be furrther from the truth. It's 2010, in a sophisticated, educated state. People aren't racist here, and if you see signs of racism you have to ask is this really racism or me being a self concious problem starter.

Old 05-02-2010, 03:10 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,631,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
I'm up way too late, too, but I'd say besides class (or maybe more so than class) the "ism" most likely to be encountered in MN is probably bias against Muslims; that's not in any way to suggest that it's rampant, but it seems to be the one thing that surfaces more than anything else. I'd say that's true in many parts of the United States, though, at least in recent years. And in MN the "Muslims must be terrorist" mentality (the woman who told McCain that Obama was an "A-rab" -- and seemed to equate that with "terrorist" or "out to convert America into a Muslim nation" -- at that town hall meeting was, unfortunately, from Shakopee, for example) also perhaps collides with antagonism towards immigrants with the rapidly increasing Somali population. I still don't think most Minnesotans are racist (or anti-Muslim), but obviously some are. (and most Minnesotans don't care about what church you go or don't go to -- I say that as someone who is not religious)

But back to the original poster, just because some people are rude to you doesn't mean that it's because they're racist. They could just be rude people. Or you could just be overreacting or misunderstanding the situation. Or maybe they are racist -- could be, I suppose. But that certainly doesn't translate to "most" white Minnesotans are racist.
I don't think it has anything do to with race. If you see a person wearing some of that middle eastern clothing, you're going to look twice, irregardless if the person wearing it is white, black, red, yellow, orange, green, blue, purple or pink.

How are people rude? I just got gas in Lino Lakes, at Holiday and had a 3 minute conversation with the cashier. Nice person.

Old 05-02-2010, 03:22 PM

10,629 posts, read 26,630,939 times
Are you asking me about rude people, or the original poster? He (she?) said people were rude and thought it was due to racism. I don't know if they were rude or not, but if they were, it's jumping to conclusions to assume that it's due to race.

I don't think it's racism to "look twice" at someone in a head hijab (although you see it all the time now in the Twin Cities, so I doubt most people feel a need anymore to look twice -- everyone from cashiers at Target to the women behind me in the line at the coffee shop wear them). But I wasn't trying to say that the antagonism that does sometimes surface against Somali and Muslim residents in general is race-based, but is instead religion-based. But I'm sure that some people who look Somali, or maybe are Somali or East African but aren't Muslim, are going to feel the impact of that, too. Then again, I don't think even Somali residents who do wear the hijab or other outwards signs of religion should assume by default that people are going to treat them differently, either.

Old 05-02-2010, 09:46 PM

Location: Moved to Gladstone, MO in June 2022 and back to Minnesota in September 2022
2,072 posts, read 5,038,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
the only people who care about race are minorities. So self concious, as if every white person is looking at them with some sort of problem. That couldn't be furrther from the truth. It's 2010, in a sophisticated, educated state. People aren't racist here, and if you see signs of racism you have to ask is this really racism or me being a self concious problem starter.
^This

Old 05-03-2010, 06:32 AM

9,675 posts, read 11,035,065 times
rac·ism (Show Spelled) [rey-siz-uhm]

1. An idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others.

2. Hatred or intolerance of another race or other races.

3. A policy, system of government, etc., based upon or fostering such a doctrine.

4. A belief in a policy of enforcing the asserted right of control.
__________________________________________________ ___________

I have not come in contact with many people in my life that fit any of these 4 definitions. The word is over used. To the OP's defense, he or she never called Minnesotans "racist".

According to the definitions, it means I'm not racist when I laugh at a Black, Jewish, or Scandinavian or dumb blonde jokes (I’m Scandinavian by the way). I might be insensitive but not racist. I know I'm not "better", I don't hate anybody for their race or sex, and I want anybody to "assert a right of control" on any group of people. Well. Maybe occasionally I need to "assert a right of control" on my under age Children.

Now unfortunately I do jump to conclusions (also known as stereotypes). No matter how hard we try, we all do it. Stereotypes are a form of pre-judging (a.k.a. prejudice). Everybody reading this text is prejudice to a certain level. The only debate is on how quickly and how often you pre-judge someone. In fact, the OP jumped to conclusions about Minnesotans; How ironic.

Last edited by MN-Born-n-Raised; 05-03-2010 at 07:20 AM.. Reason: Clarification

Old 05-03-2010, 07:17 AM

3,769 posts, read 8,760,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
I dont agree with OP (see previous post) - but to claim racism doesnt exist in 2010 is absurd. Of course it does. I speak only from my experience in Minneapolis - and cannot address other areas of the state - which is not very diverse by race - its not pervasive or at least apparently so in the city. To claim only minorities are concerned about race and race relations is both ignorant and offensive.

Old 05-03-2010, 07:28 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,112,116 times
There has been 37 posts since the OP and the original poster hasn't posted since.

Perhaps they are a slow reader or maybe they just wanted to stir the pot.

Old 05-03-2010, 07:33 AM

3,769 posts, read 8,760,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
There has been 37 posts since the OP and the original poster hasn't posted since.

Perhaps they are a slow reader or maybe they just wanted to stir the pot.
Agreed - when I hit the send button on my last post - I thought hmmm troll.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul