Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 07:30 PM

539 posts, read 1,917,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
If blacks are so concerned with meeting blacks then WHY DO THEY LIVE IN MINNESOTA? It's like going to a chinese restaurant then whining because they don't have spaghetti.

LOL that was pretty funny.

But no seriously - blacks, like anyone else, tend to move places primarily because of job/career opportunities. So we end up moving to places where we know there might not be a whole lot of "us" but still do it anyway, and staying optimistic that we'll still enjoy the place. And I suspect that for the most part blacks in Minnesota are content being there, it's just understandable that there would be black professionals seeking other black professionals for drinks, entertainment, etc. I did that when I moved to Chicago, a city that has plenty of black professionals.

_

Old 12-23-2007, 11:22 PM

8,358 posts, read 25,155,432 times
Quote:
If blacks are so concerned with meeting blacks then WHY DO THEY LIVE IN MINNESOTA? It's like going to a chinese restaurant then whining because they don't have spaghetti.
Because they are human beings, dude. The state of Minnesota is predominately white, but the Twin Cities themselves are pretty heavily mixed. St. Paul has more black communities, but Minneapolis could care less for such segregation as many of its white citizens encourage, and support racial diversity. The last couple of years that Porter's Bar and Grill was open is testimony to this.

Old 12-25-2007, 10:32 PM

787 posts, read 1,689,685 times
I know this thread is old...but being MN born and raised, and currently living on the East Coast, there are opportunities here for black people too.

You just have to be aware, because folk here are admittedly cliquish. Reading the black press (Minneapolis Spokesman-Recorder, St. Paul Insight will give you info on the pulse...

There are def. some hot spots such as Golden Thyme Coffee Cafe, and West Indies Soul Cafe, major and established black churches (for the religious) in the area provide venues, Dinkytown is a hotspot, Rondo Days and Juneteenth are big here...and of course, the black barbeshop/beauty salon is often the best source to put you on to what's going down...

Hope this helps anybody new to MN.

Old 12-27-2007, 03:56 PM

11,334 posts, read 25,981,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazz Piano View Post
This thread got hijacked.
Welcome to the world of online forums.

Quote:
I see nothing has changed in Minneapolis. Glad I'm in Atlanta now!
We just flew up to the Twin Cities for Christmas (and drove to Duluth), and it's sure a lot snowier up there than it is down here.

Old 12-27-2007, 03:58 PM

11,334 posts, read 25,981,033 times
Quote:
They might be there because of economic necessity. I sure didn't want to leave the Twin Cities, for example, but I had to in order to continue to pay the bills.

There's no problem meeting yankees in the Atlanta metro, though.

Old 12-30-2007, 10:55 PM

550 posts, read 1,630,731 times
I am so disappointed at some of the naive posts by non-minority Minnesotans. My husband moved here from Atlanta in '91 (he claims he lost a bet on the World Series that year). He said he never realized how much he was always trying to "prove himself" and wasn't allow to really be himself, and how uncomfortable he was in his own [black] skin, until we moved into St. Paul proper - which was just last year.

He moved here because I insisted MN was a better place to raise a bi-racial family than Atlanta. How naive I was at the age of 23! MN "nice" only lasts so long, and then the truth is unveiled.

There are places for black professionals to hang out in the Twin Cities. Try listening to B96 radio for events. Shiloh Temple is a large African-American church in North Minneapolis, and numerous small African-American churches exist.

Check out the Spokesman & Insight Newspapers and Minneapolis Urban League.

I have known black suburbanites who drive their children into the city to attend an inner-city public school, because that's the only way their children will be raised in any environment which is not lily-white.

Old 12-30-2007, 11:12 PM

539 posts, read 1,917,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StPaulEastSider View Post
I am so disappointed at some of the naive posts by non-minority Minnesotans. My husband moved here from Atlanta in '91 (he claims he lost a bet on the World Series that year). He said he never realized how much he was always trying to "prove himself" and wasn't allow to really be himself, and how uncomfortable he was in his own [black] skin, until we moved into St. Paul proper - which was just last year.

So are you saying that St. Paul is blacker (for lack of a better term) than Minneapolis?

_

Old 12-31-2007, 03:27 PM

787 posts, read 1,689,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StPaulEastSider View Post

He moved here because I insisted MN was a better place to raise a bi-racial family than Atlanta. How naive I was at the age of 23! MN "nice" only lasts so long, and then the truth is unveiled.

There are places for black professionals to hang out in the Twin Cities. Try listening to B96 radio for events. Shiloh Temple is a large African-American church in North Minneapolis, and numerous small African-American churches exist.

Check out the Spokesman & Insight Newspapers and Minneapolis Urban League.

I have known black suburbanites who drive their children into the city to attend an inner-city public school, because that's the only way their children will be raised in any environment which is not lily-white.

True in the past, but you don't even have to do that anymore....especially in school districts that directly surround Mpls or STP.

Minnesota gets less white every day....there are a variety of cultural events happening in the Twin Cities!

Old 01-02-2008, 09:03 AM

72,816 posts, read 62,127,610 times
Quote:
Why do blacks move to Minnesota? It's a place to work and to have a relatively high quality of life and to make good money.

Old 01-02-2008, 10:47 AM

4 posts, read 38,487 times
Check out NorthStarSoul.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul