Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 08:01 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,433,993 times

Advertisements

There is nothing wrong with wanting to meet with other black professionals. I don't know why some people get so offended when black people want to socialize with other black people. This is normal. A lot of white people exclusively hang out with other whites (even in diverse areas) all of the time. Somehow it only becomes a problem when non-whites, specifically black folks; don’t want to socialize with whites all of the time.

Old 06-18-2007, 08:20 AM

37 posts, read 209,237 times
whew....
I am new to the area as well...coming from the DC/Maryland area (truely a diverse area)...it is very hard to come to a place where there does not seem to be a lot of diversity. I have been brought up to respect and love all people...but reality is...that no matter how many friends of other races/nationalities you make over the years...you still want to have friends from your own race/nationality....I mean why not? I also work in an office where I am the ONLY black woman. My friends here are great. Everyone is very nice to me. I find it very interesting hearing about the different things that we all do on weekends...and Happy hours are great!!! But...not one of my co-workers know of a good place to get "Soul Food"...or where I can find a Beauty salon to do my hair, or anything like that....I just think that a person is not wrong because they don't want to feel totally isolated from their own race....for the sake of mingling with others....

Old 06-18-2007, 09:59 AM

297 posts, read 839,511 times
Default I agree...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mspryce View Post
whew....
I am new to the area as well...coming from the DC/Maryland area (truely a diverse area)...it is very hard to come to a place where there does not seem to be a lot of diversity. I have been brought up to respect and love all people...but reality is...that no matter how many friends of other races/nationalities you make over the years...you still want to have friends from your own race/nationality....I mean why not? I also work in an office where I am the ONLY black woman. My friends here are great. Everyone is very nice to me. I find it very interesting hearing about the different things that we all do on weekends...and Happy hours are great!!! But...not one of my co-workers know of a good place to get "Soul Food"...or where I can find a Beauty salon to do my hair, or anything like that....I just think that a person is not wrong because they don't want to feel totally isolated from their own race....for the sake of mingling with others....

I think some people just like causing a stir...

Old 06-18-2007, 12:05 PM

37 posts, read 209,237 times
Yeah...but to try and help out with your original post...You can maybe try this place:

The Spot !!!
720 Central Ave SE, Minneapolis, MN

I've not had the chance to go there yet...but I ran across the advertisment when I was online at Blackplanet.com. I posted a resume on the job networking portion of the site some time ago. However, it does seem to be group oriented. But I thought that when we (my husband and I) could wrangle some time...we might fall through...who knows??

Old 06-18-2007, 12:14 PM

297 posts, read 839,511 times
Thanks for the recommendation!

ps - I posted on your forum topic re: hair salons...

Old 06-18-2007, 09:31 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,299,128 times
Hey golf gal, sorry for giving you a hard time, I'm probably just jealous that you can afford a nice house, a sports utility vehicle and a golf membership and I'm renting out a room in my buddy's house and ride my circa 1972 Schwinn 10 speed to work every day.

Old 06-19-2007, 05:05 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,124,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
Hey golf gal, sorry for giving you a hard time, I'm probably just jealous that you can afford a nice house, a sports utility vehicle and a golf membership and I'm renting out a room in my buddy's house and ride my circa 1972 Schwinn 10 speed to work every day.
Well, I am probably a lot older then you and when we were first starting out we bought a house that cost $40,000, drove a Toyota corolla and my hubby walked to work. We don't own a $500,000 house, my SUV is a Chevy Blazer, not a Trailblazer even, that I HATE--I want my minivan back. Our golf membership cost us $1500 for the year. I don't know where you got the idea I was some high brow suburbanite but that's ok. If you could have heard me laugh at your assumptions you would have known you gave me a good laugh for the day.

Old 06-19-2007, 09:28 PM

638 posts, read 3,116,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
Slig, I've been frustrated by some of your more negative posts in other threads; but I actually rated this post positively because it's both funny and sounds very honest to me.

Thanks for giving me a good chuckle too!

Old 06-20-2007, 05:45 AM

201 posts, read 725,276 times
Default hey now - can't anyone just answer his question

Hey now let's help not judge!!

If I were a young professional I'd look into churches, and volunteer groups. Habitat for Humanity is an awesome nonprofit and is very diverse - I'd highly recommend it. Also what about cool night clubs? Used to live in Detroit area where there was a large group of black professionals which would be easy to tell you where to go. Someone out here must know w/o being so hyper sensative. Since I'm a white mother of 2 preschoolers (ex working professional and had kids late in life) I have found many friends through volunteer organizations and my kids schools. I don't really fit into the typical "mom" w/ preschoolers because of my age and professional background so I have had to find other avenues to meet people also. This of course has nothing to do w/ your situation but hopefully someone out there can help. It took me almost 2 years after our relocation to start to feel at home - so give yourself some time. Sorry I can't be specific for you just thought I'd let you know that not every white person out there agrees with some of the previous bloggers.

Last edited by J&A'sMOM; 06-20-2007 at 06:38 AM..

Old 06-20-2007, 07:24 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,299,128 times
my negativity in these threads was 90% based upon my frustration with trying to find an affordable house in a decent area. My experiences looking for houses on the northside have been nothing less than disastrous and my research on the crime in the area has only given me a more negative perspective of the area. However, alot of my angry posts were made while I was working a job I hated and living with my parents, and I apologize for those posts. I'm alot happier now with my new living and working situation, although slightly poorer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul