Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 12:00 AM

1,207 posts, read 2,422,661 times

Advertisements

Last I checked there were no "orange people" - that one just gets me. It would be silly nonsense for a white single person in Minnesota to ask where he/she can go to connect with others who are the same - because they are everywhere in plain sight with no effort necessary to find them.

I don't believe this is truly about what shade a person's skin is but instead about a sense of belonging & kindred experience. Asking such a question is not to say one doesn't wish to associate with others of different ethnic/racial groups - but to find that safe place to fall / sit / rest every now & again.

Personally, when at work, I connect with "professionals period" all day long, every day. When & where I most enjoy (but don't do exclusively) spending my down time is with folks who are as I describe above...

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Just a question, if someone posted here saying "where do all the white singles hang out, I want to connect with white singles" everyone would jump down their throat for being racist, so why is it ok to post about meeting black singles? It is my observation that the only people making a big deal about someone being black, white or orange are the minority groups. Personally I could care less what color your skin is, and same goes with pretty much everyone I know. Why not just try to connect with professionals period?

Old 09-23-2007, 12:39 AM

1,207 posts, read 2,422,661 times
Lightbulb 2 Blessed

Have you picked up either the Minneapolis Spokesman or the Insight News (both newspapers targeted towards African & African American Readers) here in the Twin Cities? There should be some help there. Not to mention, frankly, just calling one of those two newspapers & asking whomever answers the phone for a bit of advice.

We do have a "First Fridays" Chapter here in Minneapolis - although I have not kept up on how active it is at this point. Frankly, several years back it hand gone "down-hill" & was not exactly that image of your typical "First Fridays" elsewhere in the country. But, about 2 years ago I had spoken to the gentleman who reignited it in our area - I heard it was up & doing good. Here's the name & number I found - hope it is still good (
Call Terrence: 612.339-9963 or 612.338-6250).

I really think the notion of trying out different churches is a good one - if you are the church-going type. That way you plug into where those folks "hang" too. If you need advice about largely AA churches - let me know what your interest is specifically (born-again, catholic, what?).

It has been forever & a day since I have been remotely connected to where ANY ONE hangs out - but I will put out some feelers & get back to you.

Hope some of that helped...

BTW: From my understanding there are rules about hijacking posts & causing discord. If you don't like this person's inquiry then you should either report this thread if it violates the rules (which the OP did not do) or press the back button. This is IMHO...

Last edited by think.reciprocity; 09-23-2007 at 12:49 AM.. Reason: What happened to my paragraphs? Had to fix that mess!

Old 09-24-2007, 03:23 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
How is Mpls-St.Paul for persons under 25 who are recent college graduates(which will be me sometime in late 2008 or spring 2009), single, and not too much into the clubs(i don't do clubs)? I like to look for things that fit my taste. I have never tried a real Finnish sauna before and I would love to do it(the closest I have ever come to doing so is sitting in a hot shower or sitting in a dry sauna at Gold's Gym). There are other vestiges of MN culture I like but have never tried such as ethnic festivals. The only thing I am concerned about is if I will draw stares going to certain festivals because I am black? The reason I ask because if I go to events like that, I am going because I'm there to have a good time, not there to be gawked at. In fact, many of the activities I like to do I am usually the only African-American person there, or one of a few. I don't worry about it because I am enjoying myself. If I am accepted(truly accepted and loved, not just tolerated), then race should never be an issue. That is how I look at it.

Old 09-24-2007, 04:51 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
How is Mpls-St.Paul for persons under 25 who are recent college graduates(which will be me sometime in late 2008 or spring 2009), single, and not too much into the clubs(i don't do clubs)? I like to look for things that fit my taste. I have never tried a real Finnish sauna before and I would love to do it(the closest I have ever come to doing so is sitting in a hot shower or sitting in a dry sauna at Gold's Gym). There are other vestiges of MN culture I like but have never tried such as ethnic festivals. The only thing I am concerned about is if I will draw stares going to certain festivals because I am black? The reason I ask because if I go to events like that, I am going because I'm there to have a good time, not there to be gawked at. In fact, many of the activities I like to do I am usually the only African-American person there, or one of a few. I don't worry about it because I am enjoying myself. If I am accepted(truly accepted and loved, not just tolerated), then race should never be an issue. That is how I look at it.
You are not going to get gawked at because you are black. If you have chains hanging from your nose to your ankle and have purple, pink and orange stripped hair and walk around with your clothing on backwards, yes, you will get gawked at (but that is the point in that isn't it?). You will not be the "only" black any where you go. Minnesota is more diverse then most people think but no, it isn't as diverse as say, LA, Chicago, New York. I think on our block alone we have at least 5 minority groups represented and we are in the suburbs.

Old 09-24-2007, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
You are not going to get gawked at because you are black. If you have chains hanging from your nose to your ankle and have purple, pink and orange stripped hair and walk around with your clothing on backwards, yes, you will get gawked at (but that is the point in that isn't it?). You will not be the "only" black any where you go. Minnesota is more diverse then most people think but no, it isn't as diverse as say, LA, Chicago, New York. I think on our block alone we have at least 5 minority groups represented and we are in the suburbs.
I don't wear big chains or anything like that(I don't own any jewelry). The reason I ask is because there have been posts about blacks living in small MN towns having problems. Every case is diofferent, but I don't know. I haven't seen it in MN. You do have a point about not being the only black person everywhere I go. I know there are blacks all over then state(even in Moorhead and Mankato.), some places have very small numbers. Othe rplaces have large numbers. I plan to see MN for myself.

Old 09-24-2007, 07:17 PM

751 posts, read 1,177,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
I don't wear big chains or anything like that(I don't own any jewelry). The reason I ask is because there have been posts about blacks living in small MN towns having problems. Every case is diofferent, but I don't know. I haven't seen it in MN. You do have a point about not being the only black person everywhere I go. I know there are blacks all over then state(even in Moorhead and Mankato.), some places have very small numbers. Othe rplaces have large numbers. I plan to see MN for myself.
If you live in the Twin Cities, you will not have any problems. Now, living in small town Minnesota is like going into a totally different world. There is even a joke about it. When it is 12 pm in Minneapolis, what time is it in Virginia, MN? The answer is 1954

Old 09-24-2007, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeache View Post
If you live in the Twin Cities, you will not have any problems. Now, living in small town Minnesota is like going into a totally different world. There is even a joke about it. When it is 12 pm in Minneapolis, what time is it in Virginia, MN? The answer is 1954
What about places like New Ulm, etc.?

Old 09-24-2007, 10:15 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,559,693 times
I would date New Ulm to somewhere in the Carter Admin. Late seventies. It is a little larger town, and that helps. Small town Minnesota has different definitions. New Ulm has a population somewhere around 12,000 to 15,000 (I think). There are towns of 50 to 250 in the state, and they are obviously much different. I would imagine you feeling awkward, but if people are staring it is more out of surprise (Its benevolent). No one has a problem with you unless you have a problem with them. (with the exception being any particulary ghettoized style of dress, then they will hate you.) It isn't Tupelo. Liking the 1954 quote luckache.

Old 09-26-2007, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnehahapolitan View Post
I would date New Ulm to somewhere in the Carter Admin. Late seventies. It is a little larger town, and that helps. Small town Minnesota has different definitions. New Ulm has a population somewhere around 12,000 to 15,000 (I think). There are towns of 50 to 250 in the state, and they are obviously much different. I would imagine you feeling awkward, but if people are staring it is more out of surprise (Its benevolent). No one has a problem with you unless you have a problem with them. (with the exception being any particulary ghettoized style of dress, then they will hate you.) It isn't Tupelo. Liking the 1954 quote luckache.
I hope so. I have been to Minneapolis(I have family there). I don't know about the other places. I know St. Cloud is a bad place(and from what I have heard Brainerd to a certain extent). I know there are alot of towns with a majority "ethnic" population such as Swiss, Finnish, Czech, Polish, Danish, etc. I also know there are some cultural vestiges that I like(sauna, kringle, kolacz,etc.) and some festivals that I would enjoy.

Old 10-11-2007, 10:47 AM

41 posts, read 177,075 times
I'm sure a white person who were new to say, Hong Kong, and asked where the American or British community was, I think y'all would understand that. It's just that white people don't know how it feels for minorities to feel lonely in that way

This hits the nail on the head.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul