U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 08:33 AM

7,451 posts, read 8,817,843 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
That's another thing I've found. Most Mexicans residing in the Twin Cities will say that the best Mexican food they've had in Minnesota is the food they prepare themselves, not what is found at Mexican restaurants, probably for alot of the already mentioned reasons. For example: The tamales at La Loma in Mercado Central (Bloomington Ave and E Lake St) are fresh and very good, but they aren't nearly as good as the tamales my wife's friend and her sister make in their home in Richfield. There are several meals my wife makes that are better than I've been able to find in restaurants, namely her chilaquiles, tinga de pollo, enchiladas verdes and tortas de papa. These meals are all recipes she got from her mother (who has been preparing fresh meals every day for the last 40+ years) Some of the preparation methods and ingredients she uses are definitely unseen in the commercial cooking scene for obvious practicality reasons, yet sometimes those little touches are what makes a meal really special. The thing about Mexico that I love is many restaurants there are just a family making a home-prepared meal in an extension of their house. That helps bring the homestyle meal into the public and it's something that as far as I know is impossible to find in the Twin Cities. It's pretty unfortunate.

Knock it off. You are making me hungry. Dinner's at Sligs home! We are all invited!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2010, 10:20 AM

9,589 posts, read 14,513,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
Knock it off. You are making me hungry. Dinner's at Sligs home! We are all invited!
If we all got along better I'd easily break out the grill and have a taco gathering at the crib with tacos de cecina, carne enchilada and pastor, break out some chips with freshly prepared salsas and guacamole...oh, and coolers with ice cold Corona, Pacifico and Modelo. This actually isn't too shabby of an idea, and it'd be a good opportunity to showcase my neighborhood and maybe get some home improvement tips.

Old 05-12-2010, 10:45 AM

1,840 posts, read 5,347,597 times
Quote:
If we all got along better I'd easily break out the grill and have a taco gathering at the crib with tacos de cecina, carne enchilada and pastor, break out some chips with freshly prepared salsas and guacamole...oh, and coolers with ice cold Corona, Pacifico and Modelo. This actually isn't too shabby of an idea, and it'd be a good opportunity to showcase my neighborhood and maybe get some home improvement tips.
Count me in! (although the chips and salsa would make me seriously question your home dinner's authenticity- haha!!) -We have a "Northsider" social group on FB where each month someone offers to host a get-together at their home, if someone created a "TC City Data Regulars" FB group and DM'ed me the link I'd join- I'm also somewhat skilled with landscape/garden design and have a fair amount of home improvement experience under my belt.

I have been finding this thread and the question of authenticity in ethnic dining in the TC (or other American cities) to be interesting. Has Tex-Mex become the Mexican-American equivalent (if you could call it that) of Chinese-American food? (e.g. Chinese food in America has never really looked like what you'd find in China, but become a cuisine unto itself). Speaking of, I still haven't found a hands-down favorite sit-down Chinese (-American) restaurant that I really like here as well. I've enjoyed Canton Cafe and Ghangzhou in Robbinsdale and they have potential to become a favorite, and I'm quite partial to the "Peanut Butter Chicken" (how's that for Americanized?) at Yuan-Yuan on West Broadway in addition to a couple of local buffets, but I'm surprised that I feel like there were better/higher quality Chinese restaurant options in my hometown of Sioux Falls, SD than I've found here.

Old 05-12-2010, 11:35 AM

Quote:
While I love bottled Pacifico, Modelo takes it to the next level. It's my all time favorite Mexican beer. I'll bring the beer over ice.

Speaking of Tex-Mex, I can smoke a mean Chipotle pork loin over apple wood. It takes about 14 hours to accomplish and it falls apart.

I'm a huge fan of the salsa at Don Pablo (that's the only reason why I go there). Fresh salsa is superior but I like their sauce in a big way.

I'm in. We just won't talk politics.

Old 05-12-2010, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camden Northsider View Post
Count me in! (although the chips and salsa would make me seriously question your home dinner's authenticity- haha!!) -We have a "Northsider" social group on FB where each month someone offers to host a get-together at their home, if someone created a "TC City Data Regulars" FB group and DM'ed me the link I'd join- I'm also somewhat skilled with landscape/garden design and have a fair amount of home improvement experience under my belt.

I have been finding this thread and the question of authenticity in ethnic dining in the TC (or other American cities) to be interesting. Has Tex-Mex become the Mexican-American equivalent (if you could call it that) of Chinese-American food? (e.g. Chinese food in America has never really looked like what you'd find in China, but become a cuisine unto itself). Speaking of, I still haven't found a hands-down favorite sit-down Chinese (-American) restaurant that I really like here as well. I've enjoyed Canton Cafe and Ghangzhou in Robbinsdale and they have potential to become a favorite, and I'm quite partial to the "Peanut Butter Chicken" (how's that for Americanized?) at Yuan-Yuan on West Broadway in addition to a couple of local buffets, but I'm surprised that I feel like there were better/higher quality Chinese restaurant options in my hometown of Sioux Falls, SD than I've found here.

Tex-Mex is a style of its own. I personally think of it as mostly meat and cheese with a serving of Spanish rice. Possibly with even with a smoke flavor.

Speaking of Sioux Falls. I like to visit Minervas Restaurant Sioux Falls Restaurants Sioux Falls South Dakota whenever I am in town.

Old 05-12-2010, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
While I love bottled Pacifico, Modelo takes it to the next level. It's my all time favorite Mexican beer. I'll bring the beer over ice.

Speaking of Tex-Mex, I can smoke a mean Chipotle pork loin over apple wood. It takes about 14 hours to accomplish and it falls apart.

I'm a huge fan of the salsa at Don Pablo (that's the only reason why I go there). Fresh salsa is superior but I like their sauce in a big way.

I'm in. We just won't talk politics.
Now you're speaking my language. Modelo is also my Mexican beer of choice, along with the occasional Victoria (not available in US) and Carta Blanca. I would seriously consider setting up a taco night so let's keep this conversation going.

I agree with the Tex-Mex comment. Tex-Mex is it's own distinct style of cooking and it can be very good. My earlier rant was just voicing my frustration of when restaurants offer Tex-Mex food and try to convince the public that it's Authentic Mexican food.

Old 05-12-2010, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Now you're speaking my language. Modelo is also my Mexican beer of choice, along with the occasional Victoria (not available in US) and Carta Blanca. I would seriously consider setting up a taco night so let's keep this conversation going.

I agree with the Tex-Mex comment. Tex-Mex is it's own distinct style of cooking and it can be very good. My earlier rant was just voicing my frustration of when restaurants offer Tex-Mex food and try to convince the public that it's Authentic Mexican food.
I was introduce to Pacifco while in Mazatlan (it's made there). I was impressed unitl I tried Modelo. When you compare them side-by-side, there is a slightly bitter taste with the Pacifico. Bottles always trump cans.

But my VERY favorite beer is a free beer.

I never tried Victoria or Carta Blanca. I'll have to look for it when I am in Maz next.

Old 05-12-2010, 09:39 PM

3 posts, read 38,571 times
I'm Mexican and I can agree..

El Amanacer on the West Side of St Paul.

Pancho Villa in Minneapolis.

And La Hacienda in Minneapolis or Burnsville.

Old 05-13-2010, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwayLove View Post
I'm Mexican and I can agree..

El Amanacer on the West Side of St Paul.

Pancho Villa in Minneapolis.

And La Hacienda in Minneapolis or Burnsville.

I'll have to check out El Amanacer. We definitely haven't spent enough time on the Westside of St. Paul.

Pancho Villa is an interesting place. Usually when I go there the south room is full of Mexicans singing Ranchero karaoke and the north room is full of gringos. They always seem to have 2 4 1's there which is worth mentioning.

You really can't go wrong with La Hacienda. I also forgot to mention that they have good tortas there. Anyone who wants to try authentic Mexican needs to start eating tortas. Another place to try a Mexican torta is Manny's Tortas. They closed their standalone location on Lake Street but they are still in Mercado Central and the Midtown Global Market.

Old 05-16-2010, 08:48 PM

6,323 posts, read 15,162,622 times
I second El Burrito Mercado in St Paul for authentic. Not much for ambiance (it's a cafeteria in a grocery store, FCOL), but the food is fabulous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul