U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 03:09 PM

108 posts, read 379,415 times

Advertisements

I moved to Minneapolis about 2 years ago. I have found a lot of great places to eat but one thing I can't find is a good authentic Mexican food restaurant. I have read tons or reviews and went to about 20 different places that had great reviews, only to be disappointed with most of them. Please Help..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2010, 03:14 PM

20,793 posts, read 57,512,526 times
Define "authentic". Most people think Mexican food is spicy and full of peppers but authentic Mexican food is actually quite flavorful but not spicy. There is a great place in Marshall, MN that has awesome authentic Mexican food but that is a little bit of a hike. Slig will know some good places-his wife is from Mexico .

Old 05-10-2010, 03:32 PM

166 posts, read 365,183 times
Is Chepottle considered an "authentic Mexican?" kidding. I think there's one in Midtown Global Market on East Lake street.

Old 05-10-2010, 03:38 PM

174 posts, read 436,509 times
People always bring up dominguez family in S Mineapolis and Boca Chica in St Paul. There HAS to be something on Lake St in S Minneapolis.

Old 05-10-2010, 04:13 PM

9,446 posts, read 14,443,100 times
Yeah, we've been in South Minneapolis for 2 years now and honestly we are still searching for a restaurant we can both agree that really hits home with Mexican homestyle cooking. There are a handful of places that are on the right track but we always find the taste of the food to be slightly off. This is especially evident in the meat that you can find here. No matter how good of a cook you are, you can't get the pastor, cecina, carne enchilada, lomo, mole, etc. to taste like it does in Mexico...you just can't. However, there are a few places I could recommend you try and please let me know what you think because thus far we haven't found anything better.

-For tacos and alambres try Taqueria La Hacienda on E Lake St and 4th Ave.

-For other antojitos Mexicanos try Gorditas el Gordo on E Lake St and 2nd Ave. The place is fairly dumpy but my wife actually feels at home with some of their offerings, plus the prices are about as cheap as you can find for Mexican food in the Twin Cities.

-Nice sit-down Mexican = We still haven't found anything passable yet. I've also heard Boca Chica in St. Paul was good but we haven't made it over there yet. If you find a great sit-down authentic Mexican restaurant please let us know! I kind of like the restaurant portion of Nuevo Rodeo. The atmosphere is nice and they usually have good drink specials for beer and Margaritas. I like the food but it's definitely been Americanized to a fair extent. My wife isn't sold on the place but she's found a few dishes to be edible, they have passable chilaquiles and enchiladas and a few decent seafood choices like mojarra and camarones a la diabla, etc.

My take on Mexican restaurants in the area is especially for the nicer places people try too hard to appeal to the American crowd. As a result the food is dumbed down and the menu ends up being filled with Tex-mex offerings. I get turned off any time I'm at a Mexican restaurant and I see the following offerings on the menu:

-burritos
-chimichangas
-fajitas
-nachos
-basically any food that contains ground beef
-any taco served in a hard u-shaped shell
-basically any taco that contains lettuce and cheese
-almost all uses of bell peppers, unless it's on an alambre
-basically anything served with lemons instead of limes
-chips and salsa served at the table
-a complete absence of Valentina salsa picante
-an absence of choices of agua (horchata, jamaica, tamarindo, limon, sandilla, mango, etc.)

all of these things raise red flags for me...to my knowledge none of this crap is Mexican.

Old 05-10-2010, 05:33 PM

34 posts, read 95,782 times
There is another Mexican restaurant 'La Cucaracha' on Dale and Grand in Saint Paul. I don't know how authentic it is ...

Old 05-10-2010, 05:52 PM

129 posts, read 243,120 times
On the Border Mexican grill Catina or Chevy's our very popular but do those places stack up. Allot of people would prefer that kind of food over new Mexican food. I think those places are more like Tex Mex with a California flair. Not the best places to go to, but they do draw allot of people. I have ate at ethnic Mexican restaurants in San Antonio and food is way different then Tex Mex or new Mexican food. If you can find places way from the freeway, you can find better restaurants to eat at.

Old 05-10-2010, 06:05 PM

20,793 posts, read 57,512,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
Yeah, we've been in South Minneapolis for 2 years now and honestly we are still searching for a restaurant we can both agree that really hits home with Mexican homestyle cooking. There are a handful of places that are on the right track but we always find the taste of the food to be slightly off. This is especially evident in the meat that you can find here. No matter how good of a cook you are, you can't get the pastor, cecina, carne enchilada, lomo, mole, etc. to taste like it does in Mexico...you just can't. However, there are a few places I could recommend you try and please let me know what you think because thus far we haven't found anything better.

-For tacos and alambres try Taqueria La Hacienda on E Lake St and 4th Ave.

-For other antojitos Mexicanos try Gorditas el Gordo on E Lake St and 2nd Ave. The place is fairly dumpy but my wife actually feels at home with some of their offerings, plus the prices are about as cheap as you can find for Mexican food in the Twin Cities.

-Nice sit-down Mexican = We still haven't found anything passable yet. I've also heard Boca Chica in St. Paul was good but we haven't made it over there yet. If you find a great sit-down authentic Mexican restaurant please let us know! I kind of like the restaurant portion of Nuevo Rodeo. The atmosphere is nice and they usually have good drink specials for beer and Margaritas. I like the food but it's definitely been Americanized to a fair extent. My wife isn't sold on the place but she's found a few dishes to be edible, they have passable chilaquiles and enchiladas and a few decent seafood choices like mojarra and camarones a la diabla, etc.

My take on Mexican restaurants in the area is especially for the nicer places people try too hard to appeal to the American crowd. As a result the food is dumbed down and the menu ends up being filled with Tex-mex offerings. I get turned off any time I'm at a Mexican restaurant and I see the following offerings on the menu:

-burritos
-chimichangas
-fajitas
-nachos
-basically any food that contains ground beef
-any taco served in a hard u-shaped shell
-basically any taco that contains lettuce and cheese
-almost all uses of bell peppers, unless it's on an alambre
-basically anything served with lemons instead of limes
-chips and salsa served at the table
-a complete absence of Valentina salsa picante
-an absence of choices of agua (horchata, jamaica, tamarindo, limon, sandilla, mango, etc.)

all of these things raise red flags for me...to my knowledge none of this crap is Mexican.
What do you think the difference is? Is it the cooking implements? Isn't most homestyle cooking in Mexico done on/in stone ovens, etc? I think how things are grown makes a huge difference as well, even the type of soil used to grow vegetables can make a big difference with taste.

Old 05-10-2010, 06:19 PM

134 posts, read 317,363 times
Boca Chica- I think this place is way overrated. Go there for margaritas, but not for the authentic food. There may be some good things on the menu, but most things are smothered with cheddar cheese, which is one of the big "red flags" that Slig referred to. this place is always very crowded- but to me, it's just a step up from ChiChi's.

Boca Chica Taco House- is better IMO. No ambience whatsoever, but you get food to go here. Tamales and burritos are pretty good.

La Almanecer on Cesar Chavez (west side of St Paul) is more of an authentic place. Ate there once for dinner and there was some live music. The locals from Mexico frequent these smaller, family-owned type places on the West side and that's always a good sign. Food was meat, rice, beans and not your typical tacos.

El Burrito Mercado (Cesar Chavez- west side) has a great cafeteria counter with some good food.

La Chucaracha on Grand has great ambience. I like the mole sauce and their homemade chips here.

Old 05-10-2010, 06:33 PM

134 posts, read 317,363 times
One more place is Barrio in either downtown St Paul or on Nicollet Mall in Minneapolis. This is one of Tim McKee and Josh Thoma's restaurants. Excellent food and tequila drinks. You won't believe how many different kinds of tequila they have on the menu........ Food is typically served in tapas portions at night. If you go with a group, order lots and share- but be ready for a hefty bill, especially if you order drinks. Better yet, go for lunch (they have great specials). I've had some great soup, guacamole, tacos (authentic style) and tamales here. I would classify this place as more gourmet Mexican- similar to Rick Bayless's places in Chicago but not quite as good.

Can you tell I like Mexican food....?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul