U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 11:57 PM

383 posts, read 849,635 times

Advertisements

My Taekwondo school is closing for the summer and I have nowhere to train for the next 3 months. I've been practicing TKD for the past 5 years and I don't want my skills to deteriorate again. I've taken time off from TKD before and it's been a pain in the rear end to get back to where I was skillwise. I don't want to go through the process of getting back into good TKD shape again.

Here are my preferences for TKD schools.

1. I prefer an International Taekwondo Federation (ITF) school because I'm currently studying ITF Taekwondo. In a pinch, I could switch back over to an Olympic style school which teaches World Taekwondo Federation style. Even though I have a black belt in WTF, I'd still prefer to do ITF because ITF is better suited for self defense. Also, I kind of like having the challenge of climbing up the ranks from whitebelt to black belt again and relearning the art from another perspective. I also want to avoid teaching as much as possible, and if I go back to a WTF school, I'll probably be pushed to teach instead of learn.

2. Price range would be anywhere from 25-40 dollars a month.

3. Is not a chain dojo nor advertises itself as a "Karate School" that teaches "Americanized Taekwondo" (Which means National Karate, ATA and, PKS and USA Karate are no gos). My only exception is if the chain dojo is affiliated with a major organization (WTF, ITF, ITA). I've heard too many nightmare stories about those chain dojos, including black belts not being recognized anywhere except that school or the styles being impractical for anything other than their chain's sparring tournaments.

4. Is sensitive to people with learning disabilities. My former school wasn't too sensitive about my LD, that's why I left.

5. I prefer that the school teaches Hapkido, but I can probably get separate Hapkido classes somewhere else or take a Judo class in a community ed class somewhere.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2010, 05:49 AM

20,793 posts, read 58,036,908 times
Check out Phil Tobey' studio, Northwest Martial Arts, in Rosemount. He fits all your needs, including the LD-he has a lot of classed for special ed students as well. I know you said in Minneapolis but since you live in Apple Valley it is close.

Old 05-15-2010, 08:49 AM

Heh, I haven't lived in Apple Valley in 4 months. But I checked out the school's website and it looks very sparse so it's. Also, the teacher's wearing a black uniform, which unless he also teaches hapkido, is highly unusual for a taekwondo school. But I'll try to ask around and maybe look in a good old fashioned Yellow Pages.

Old 05-16-2010, 04:50 AM

2,053 posts, read 4,693,814 times
I have an older sister who has been in Tae Kwon Do for, oh man since early 2000s, but her school is in St. Cloud and its an excellent school and not some McDojo place like National Karate. Sorry I can't help you out with schools in the Cities.

Im just wondering, have you ever gone to tournaments anywhere? Back when my sister was in middle school and high school every year in February I believe, we would go to the torunament in Bemidji and stay in a hotel for a weekend. It was always a blast. Sadly shes graduated and moved out.

I also remember going to nationals when it was in Minnesota at the metrodome. Don't remember what year though.

Old 05-16-2010, 05:59 AM

20,793 posts, read 58,036,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical_Car View Post
I have an older sister who has been in Tae Kwon Do for, oh man since early 2000s, but her school is in St. Cloud and its an excellent school and not some McDojo place like National Karate. Sorry I can't help you out with schools in the Cities.

Im just wondering, have you ever gone to tournaments anywhere? Back when my sister was in middle school and high school every year in February I believe, we would go to the torunament in Bemidji and stay in a hotel for a weekend. It was always a blast. Sadly shes graduated and moved out.

I also remember going to nationals when it was in Minnesota at the metrodome. Don't remember what year though.
Our kids were all in TKD and we usually went to the Bemidji tournament. They completed their black belts and haven't really done much with it since (we have since moved from the town where they did their training).

Old 05-16-2010, 09:16 AM

10,629 posts, read 25,176,827 times
I know nothing about Taekwondo, so don't know if this school fits what you want or not. But I do know the World Martial Arts Center on Lyndale and 29th or so (not in your immediate target area, but not too far away) offers Hapkido. They're the oldest in MN.

Old 05-16-2010, 07:39 PM

2,053 posts, read 4,693,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Our kids were all in TKD and we usually went to the Bemidji tournament. They completed their black belts and haven't really done much with it since (we have since moved from the town where they did their training).
Atleast they completed their black belts, thats a really great accomplishment and something to be proud of.

Old 05-18-2010, 12:20 AM

I've actually called up the Boltz TKD school before and I've passed by it a few times on the 446 route. It's a good school from what I saw from what I saw outside, but the Mendota Heights school is a bit far from me since I'm on my bike and I feel weary about crossing the Mendota Heights bridge to get to school. Also, I've ridden around Mendota Heights. It's not that friendly to cyclists, so that's a major factor in my decision to go there or not. The black uniforms aren't as big of a turnoff. Many reputable schools have teachers with black uniforms, it's just unusual for them to wear a black uniform since the white uniform is standard in TKD and mostly McDojos stray from the uniform color standard. I personally like black uniforms (Black's my favorite color), but if I were to start my own school, I'd avoid wearing black uniforms just because it might give the impression that I'm running a McDojo to prospective students.

I checked out the website some more too. It looks like they're officially accredited, unlike any storefront school. He's a 5th degree black belt, so I guess he can get away with wearing a black uniform. Master B, it looks like you are the real deal and if my situation was different, I'd probably be in class by next week training my heart out. However, your price range and location is a bit out of my league but I will keep your school in mind if I do move over to the South Metro. I'm considering a move to Eagan so my GF can be closer to where she grew up and I may set down roots in Eagan. If I do go to your school though in the future (And by the time I do decide to go to your school or not, I will probably also be a first dan in ITF), would I get a chance to teach since I'm a first dan and I have experience in ITF style sparring, forms/tuls, and attacks? (Again, I'm avoiding teaching until I get my first dan in ITF)

Hope to hear from you more soon. Gahnzahmidah! Sincerely, Mr. L(Won't reveal last name), First Dan/5th guep.

Old 05-18-2010, 12:49 AM

2,983 posts, read 5,571,850 times
Its not Taekwondo but check out the Minnesota Kali group at 4532 Chicago Avenue. Rick Faye is one of the best martial arts instructors in the country and a senior student of Dan Inosanto. This is a high level school with instruction in several diferent martial arts. They also offer a free week trial.

Rick Faye's Minnesota Kali Group

Old 05-18-2010, 01:25 AM

I've also looked into the Kali group. Another good school that's beyond my budget. My neighbor trains there though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul