Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 08:19 PM

15 posts, read 98,655 times

Advertisements

My husband grew up in Minneapolis. I have lived my whole life in CA and AZ, but have moved about 30 times and feel like I could live anywhere. We have been married for 12 years and come back to the Twin Cities twice a year, so I have been there in winter often, albeit only visiting. My husband is the youngest of 14 kids, my kids are grandchildren #39 and 40, and almost everyone in the family lives in the Twin Cities and gets along great.

I don't have a very good relationship with my family, and here in CA we don't live by either of our families and don't have a huge group of friends (everyone is way too busy for that!). Every time we come back there, I have the greatest time with family -- I also love going to Twins games and Gopher sporting events, love the numerous yoga studios and downtown shopping. Our schools here in CA stink and right now we are paying $20K a year for private school because there is no open school plan and our neighborhood school stinks.

My husband is about to get a job offer back there. He is afraid I will hate it there when I'm actually living there and want to move back to CA. We love the weather here, for sure, but I'm not really an outdoorsy person anyway - I'd rather sit by the fire and read a book any day.

I say what is important to me is family, close relationships and good schools. Could weather really override all of these very important things???

Lisa...

Old 05-16-2010, 08:51 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,739,553 times
No, you're not crazy. You'll find lots of former Californians and lots of former Minnesotans-turned-Californians-returned Minnesotans in Minneapolis. I can certainly understand; I love California, but given the economy in CA, the shape of the schools, the budget crisis, and the overall cost of living it's not an easy place to live right now. With all your savings that come from having a lower cost of living in Minneapolis, plus saved vacation time from not having to use it to come visit family, you can always go back and visit CA. You can always move back to CA down the road (or at least that's what we tell ourselves; this is coming from someone who feels pretty strongly connected to both CA and MN, but has decided that at this point in life MN is the right choice.) Weather isn't everything.

Old 05-16-2010, 09:19 PM

8 posts, read 18,780 times
Not crazy at all. I'm actually in the opposite situation because I'll be moving to San Diego later this summer. At first you will have a definite culture shock, because almost everything is different than CA. Weather, weekend getaways, stores, etc. CA is beautiful, but MN is beautiful in its own way.

Old 05-16-2010, 10:14 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,417,021 times
I think you would have to be crazy to want to live in California! Minnesota is awesome! Beautiful lakes, trees, rolling hills, and prairie. Even the weather is better here than in CA (we get four seasons, snow, and gorgeous fall foliage, and NO earthquakes or mudslides). With your husbands family all being from here, it sounds like you guys would love it here. Also, Minnesota isn't as cold as most people think.

Old 05-16-2010, 10:49 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,762,576 times
I have two friends here who are CA transplants. One from LA, and one from the Inland Empire. Both of them really like it.

Cost of living is a lot less here, which is a plus.

Old 05-16-2010, 11:49 PM

Location: Moved to Gladstone, MO in June 2022 and back to Minnesota in September 2022
2,072 posts, read 5,064,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychomamma View Post
My husband is about to get a job offer back there.
No you're not crazy at all, especially if he is getting a job offer. Getting a job is one of the hardest obstacles to face when moving long distance especially in this economy, so since you have that, you would be crazy to NOT move.

Old 05-17-2010, 07:36 AM

336 posts, read 927,786 times
The schools alone are a great reason to move, and it sounds like the reasons you want to come here are good ones, your kids will love being by grandparents and their many cousins! And there is nothing like reading by the fire during a snowstorm

Old 05-17-2010, 09:48 AM

2,031 posts, read 2,988,918 times
Not state-to-state preference is crazy - it's just a matter of personal preferences.

Anyone who thinks any state is universally "better" really needs to understand that their tastes are subjective.

It all depends on you. You may well be happier in Minnesota over California.

Old 05-17-2010, 10:51 AM

3,971 posts, read 9,680,002 times
::: Another misconception of how bad the weather is in Minnesota :::

Only November, December, January and February are cold and only Jan. and Feb. being extremely cold. Other than that, it's pretty much like California.

If you can get your mind over the thought of it being Siberia part deux here, than you'll have no problem. The Twin Cities are a top-ten city in MHO.

Old 05-17-2010, 05:55 PM

4 posts, read 16,194 times
I will be moving to the Twin Cities area in the fall for school. Coming from central CA, I know my way around my area from what is good and what isn't. However, I have been told Twin Cities area is pretty much same as central CA. I will be living half a hour from the UMN St. Paul University. I only know the street and the zipcode is 55130. I googled the address on google map and the place doesn't seem to be too "metro"... someone please explain to me what area zipcode 55130 and how is it there?

I meant to post this on another thread about safe/unsafe areas in the twin cities area, but that thread is closed.

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul