Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 12:50 PM

786 posts, read 4,733,123 times

Advertisements

I really get spooked when I visit beautiful Lake Harriet in South Minneapolis. It is a great place to walk around if you are White. There is no people of color at Lake Harriet. Why? Minneapolis is a diverse City but no one of color is at Lake Harriet. Most everyone is blonde.

Old 06-11-2007, 02:20 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,034,466 times
There are more blonde people here than I've seen anywhere else. I believe this area was settled by Scandinavian people who liked this climate. Minnesota ia also very welcoming to diverse populations. If there were no AA people around, I'm sure you just missed them.

But it's also true, Minnesota is still mostly white.

Old 06-12-2007, 11:26 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,086,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
There are more blonde people here than I've seen anywhere else. I believe this area was settled by Scandinavian people who liked this climate.
The Minnesota NFL team is called the "Vikings" for a reason. :-) Although I suspect there are more folks of German descent in MN than Scandinavian.

This site is interesting reading:

Immigration in Minnesota Fact Sheet (http://www.energyofanation.org/cf8369d9-dcd2-4156-9007-cfd63a61de21.html - broken link)

Old 06-12-2007, 12:15 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,585,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post
I really get spooked when I visit beautiful Lake Harriet in South Minneapolis. It is a great place to walk around if you are White. There is no people of color at Lake Harriet. Why? Minneapolis is a diverse City but no one of color is at Lake Harriet. Most everyone is blonde.
It's just a reflection of the neighborhood. Walking around the lake is a middle-upper-middle class form of recreation. Minneapolis now has a good size black population, but it for the most part it is recent arrivals with low incomes. Guess what social class lives around Lake Harriet?

Wait a couple generations. That neigborhood is not likely to change in class, but will become more racially diverse as the socio-economic status of local blacks rise. Then you'll see your lake-walking black people, Dingler.

Old 06-12-2007, 02:03 PM

5,341 posts, read 14,140,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post

Spooked?? That seems awful strange. Why?

It is a beautiful day...WHO CARES WHAT RACES OF PEOPLE ARE WALKING AROUND THE LAKE?? Just enjoy the day.

We are a mostly white city in a mostly white state. It is nothing to be "spooked" about. And for those of you reading this post from other states...we do have a fair amount of blondes, BUT it is far from "most".

Old 07-05-2007, 05:53 PM

116 posts, read 343,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimtheGuy View Post

It is a beautiful day...WHO CARES WHAT RACES OF PEOPLE ARE WALKING AROUND THE LAKE?? Just enjoy the day.

We are a mostly white city in a mostly white state. It is nothing to be "spooked" about. And for those of you reading this post from other states...we do have a fair amount of blondes, BUT it is far from "most".

I agree with this. Who cares? I don't get spooked if I ride my bike thru an 'all black' area. This racism **** is starting to bug me.

Old 07-05-2007, 08:47 PM

937 posts, read 2,834,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimtheGuy View Post

Well said.

Old 07-05-2007, 09:49 PM

22 posts, read 253,690 times
I have noticed from running around the chain of Lakes that Lake Calhoun has a higher proportion of black people than Lake Harriet.

The most diverse major lake in the Twin Cities is probably Lake Phalen, one of my favorite lakes in the area. Lake Phalen is on the east side of St. Paul and is about and it is about 3.1 miles around the lake on the trails.

Lake Phalen has free and convenient parking, biking and running/walking trails, pavillions, open areas, a golf course, and is located near the Bruce Vento Trail and the Gateway Trail.

Old 07-06-2007, 05:58 AM

370 posts, read 903,367 times
Yesterday I was in Miami FL, and you wouldn't believe how many hispanic people I saw...

It reminded me of a time a couple of years ago when I was in Wuhan in southern China. It was very big metro area, but what struck me was all of the Chinese people there... I was shocked that I didn't see any hispanics there. What's that all about? And you know, I didn't see even one black professional there either. Hm. Conspiracy?

Sorry folks, but I gotta wonder what the heck the original post was for.

Old 07-06-2007, 09:45 AM

116 posts, read 343,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatever View Post
Yesterday I was in Miami FL, and you wouldn't believe how many hispanic people I saw...

It reminded me of a time a couple of years ago when I was in Wuhan in southern China. It was very big metro area, but what struck me was all of the Chinese people there... I was shocked that I didn't see any hispanics there. What's that all about? And you know, I didn't see even one black professional there either. Hm. Conspiracy?

Sorry folks, but I gotta wonder what the heck the original post was for.
I thought you were serious until I read the second paragraph. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul