Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 08:34 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,125,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
....My plans are to go to the Winter Carnival in St. Paul, visit the Mall of America, St. Paul Cathedral, Hiawatha Park, and Crystal Court Mall.

Sorry for the snip. And this has little to do with the subject. But visiting the Crystal Court is just a portion of the total experience of the Minneapolis Skyway system.

Most of downtown Minneapolis actually exists on the 2nd floor. It truly is a fascinating exploration of a labyrinth. There has to be several hundred retailers in the skyways. But be forewarned: They are active from about 10:00 till about 3:00. Then things quiet down quite a bit. The skyways are technically open until 10:30 PM. But many of the businesses have closed down by then.

At that time, you'd be better served by the night clubs along First Avenue. That's where Minneapolis gets its kicks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2011, 09:05 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,371,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camden Northsider View Post
We really like Yuan Yuan on West Broadway. It's not a formal restaurant or anything (probably kind of similar to the Chinese place on Franklin/Chicago in the amount of tables/feel), but it's great Chinese and we realized a little over a year or so ago that they deliver (since then, us and a bunch of our neighbors have been getting frequent deliveries).

I'm not the biggest fan of Joy Luck Restaurant on Lyndale & Webber Pkwy, but others seem to swear by it. Outside of the above, we ocassionally frequent Robbinsdale's Chinese offerings (a few good sit-down places- Canton Cafe and Guangzhou), and if ever in the mood for a good China Buffet, the best one in the metro IMO is in Brooklyn Center- New King Buffet.
Dang, I wish I would've seen this post sooner. We ended up eating at Pho '79 on Eat Street. The food was decent and cheap but our service was awful. Not kidding it took longer for us to get the check than the time it took us to eat our meal. In addition, the server didn't even ask if we wanted beverages and never re-filled our water....wow, enjoy your $2.00 tip...

Old 01-29-2011, 09:10 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,734,165 times
To build on the Crystal Court thing:

If you're trying to get the downtown indoor skyway experience thing, also check out the nearby Gaviidae http://www.gaviidaecommon.com/; (broken link) it's very attractive in there (there are two buildings), and there are some pretty impressive fountains. Check out the food court on the fourth floor, too. It's just the standard food court fare, but they've livened things up with a State Fair theme. It's kind of interesting in a weird sort of way.

Also try to make a trip to the Wells Fargo building (also connected via skyway, and next door); it's an attractive building, and they have a neat (and free) Wells Fargo mini-museum on the skyway level.

Old 01-30-2011, 12:13 PM

73,011 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astron1000 View Post
Sorry for the snip. And this has little to do with the subject. But visiting the Crystal Court is just a portion of the total experience of the Minneapolis Skyway system.

Most of downtown Minneapolis actually exists on the 2nd floor. It truly is a fascinating exploration of a labyrinth. There has to be several hundred retailers in the skyways. But be forewarned: They are active from about 10:00 till about 3:00. Then things quiet down quite a bit. The skyways are technically open until 10:30 PM. But many of the businesses have closed down by then.

At that time, you'd be better served by the night clubs along First Avenue. That's where Minneapolis gets its kicks.
I might have to cancel the Winter Carnival thing. I had a weird turn of events and for that reason, I have to wait until March to visit the Twin Cities. Still, one of the places I will try is the Crystal Court mall. Never been in a skyway system. Atlanta doesn't have it as far as I know.

I'm not into night clubs.

Old 01-30-2011, 03:05 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,190,713 times
Don't worry! I just went yesterday with the wife and baby and I was surprised to learn they don't build the ice castle anymore! That's 80% of the reason I went in the 1st place! It's still a pretty cool event -- small, but cool -- but I wanted to see the ice castle man!

Old 02-03-2011, 07:37 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,657,093 times
Here's some background:

Old 06-20-2011, 02:53 PM

73,011 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by audadvnc View Post
Here's some background:
Things have been getting better, but still needs work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul