Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 08:09 AM

336 posts, read 927,706 times

Advertisements

I know in Delano my son had to take 6 IQ/standardized tests & if you don't reach a certain score on even one test you are not admitted to the program although you will be pulled into certain advanced classes if you preform highly in those subjects. Be sure to bring all test scores as well as report cards with you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2010, 09:58 AM

46 posts, read 133,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Another thing to keep in mind is that when you move into a district, getting into the gifted and talented programs is much more difficult then growing up in a district. Since kids that start kindergarten in a district have their school history in that district the schools know what curriculum they have had and can compare that way vs moving in from one district where the standards might not be as high but on paper a child looks like a top student. With all the various post secondary options available to high school kids in MN there really isn't a chance of any student not getting the challenges they need as long as they take advantage of what is available.
Golfgal, I met with the administrators from three school districts and am pretty confident he will get into the G&T in all of them. You are right about the awesome post secondary options in MN.

Off topic, pardon my ignorance but I read somewhere on this forum that MN has 1 golf course per 1000 people? How is that even possible? How many months of the year can you even play outdoors? I wonder...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmhl View Post
I know in Delano my son had to take 6 IQ/standardized tests & if you don't reach a certain score on even one test you are not admitted to the program although you will be pulled into certain advanced classes if you preform highly in those subjects. Be sure to bring all test scores as well as report cards with you.

mmhl, when I met with the school folks, I brought all his IQ/standardized tests that he had to take to get into a very specialized program for highly gifted in our current school district. Further to that, he was also tested again on the standardized tests acceptable to the districts we are looking at in MN and he hit the ceiling on all of them (this is in addition to his being grade skipped). So I am pretty confident of his getting into any of the programs.

Yeah having this kind of high performing (and highly sensitive and highly perfectionist and ...I can go on and on) child brings its own set of problems.

Old 05-27-2010, 12:48 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,086,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suparbh View Post
Off topic, pardon my ignorance but I read somewhere on this forum that MN has 1 golf course per 1000 people? How is that even possible? How many months of the year can you even play outdoors? I wonder...
I've read that, "...In fact, Minnesota has the fifth most golf courses per capita in the country."

Source: http://www.freedomfoundationofminnesota.com/documents/FFM-MuniGolf4.29.2009.pdf (broken link)

Some related reading:

Minnesota Golf - Golf.com - Courses & Travel - Golf.com

Play Golf Minnesota (see trivia bits)

Old 05-27-2010, 01:20 PM

812 posts, read 2,172,928 times
Quote:

Yeah having this kind of high performing (and highly sensitive and highly perfectionist and ...I can go on and on) child brings its own set of problems.
The Minnesota Council for the Gifted and Talented (MCGT) is a support and advocacy group here. They also have parent groups in different areas, not sure if Minnetonka is one.

Old 05-27-2010, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kebinminn View Post
The Minnesota Council for the Gifted and Talented (MCGT) is a support and advocacy group here. They also have parent groups in different areas, not sure if Minnetonka is one.

Minnetonka doesn't have a parent group but Eden Prairie does and I emailed the person in charge. He was very helpful. MCGT itself is a great resource.

Thanks

Old 05-27-2010, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post

Play Golf Minnesota (see trivia bits)

Whoa! Those trivia are amazing. I don't play golf myself but have lots of friends who do and was wondering if that would be an enticement to have them come and visit us once we move Plus I was curious because of golfgal's name

Old 05-27-2010, 05:06 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,308,820 times
Quote:
Golfgal, I met with the administrators from three school districts and am pretty confident he will get into the G&T in all of them. You are right about the awesome post secondary options in MN.

mmhl, when I met with the school folks, I brought all his IQ/standardized tests that he had to take to get into a very specialized program for highly gifted in our current school district. Further to that, he was also tested again on the standardized tests acceptable to the districts we are looking at in MN and he hit the ceiling on all of them (this is in addition to his being grade skipped). So I am pretty confident of his getting into any of the programs.

The not as nice courses usually open up end of March/Early April, the nicer courses open 2nd week in April or so. Now, this year, pretty much everything was open by the 2nd weekend in March-it's been a great golf season. In the fall, courses close mid-Nov on average but I have golfed in every month in MN over the years (not typical in Dec/Jan/Feb though).

Old 05-27-2010, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
The not as nice courses usually open up end of March/Early April, the nicer courses open 2nd week in April or so. Now, this year, pretty much everything was open by the 2nd weekend in March-it's been a great golf season. In the fall, courses close mid-Nov on average but I have golfed in every month in MN over the years (not typical in Dec/Jan/Feb though).
That's at least 8 months. Wow! Maybe I should learn to play

Old 06-17-2011, 01:19 PM

1 posts, read 1,315 times
I am Latin mom of a 6 years old, divorce, sharing 50/50 custody and living in a different District school from my child's father. In a few weeks going to court to appeal my case, so my child can attend a Spanish Immersion School in the father's district school "not mine". My interest to pursue this education is that I want my son to be fully literate in his second language (Spanish). The father is native American. The school I am proposing has a bus rout for the kid but my "ex" is not agreed with it because our child will spend long time on the bus. I compromise to ride my son to/from school during my parenting time, due to be living out of the school district. The most important aspect for me is to find someone reliable and responsible to commute my son while on his father's parenting time, approximately 15 miles, 5 days out of 10. Area Hopkins, MN
I will rather to be contact directly to my e-mail address linamh21@gmail.com

Old 06-17-2011, 01:49 PM

1,635 posts, read 2,657,482 times
But now we've got a handle on the important criterion for school choice in this country - tee time availability...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul