Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 04:57 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,734,165 times

Advertisements

I don't personally know anyone living at Blue or Murals, but I've heard from others that people are pleased with both. The location of both is excellent; right in the heart of Lyn-Lake (which depending on your point of view is part of Uptown), and you could walk your dogs on the Midtown Greenway over to the lakes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2010, 09:15 PM

383 posts, read 900,790 times
Uptown stopped being fun when all the weird people were priced out of the housing and apartment market by people from California and Saint Louis Park.

Old 05-30-2010, 10:06 PM

Location: Moved to Gladstone, MO in June 2022 and back to Minnesota in September 2022
2,072 posts, read 5,062,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swmrbird View Post
I would suggest aparment websites (apartments.com or apartmentfinder.com) - gives you an idea of price, ammenities, and ususally pet rent. That said, not ALL apartments are listed there, but it is a start.
If you are in the area picking up a forrent magazine or apartment finder magazine is better and has more a lot more complexes listed, though there will be just about no privately owned places or small duplexes or triplexes, but it gives you a great idea. They have them everywhere, retail stores gas stations mall of america has stands of them too. You can order them off their websites but they charge you for shipping...

Old 05-30-2010, 10:07 PM

Location: Moved to Gladstone, MO in June 2022 and back to Minnesota in September 2022
2,072 posts, read 5,062,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdRedRain View Post
Uptown stopped being fun when all the weird people were priced out of the housing and apartment market by people from California and Saint Louis Park.
Watch this video and check out the a lot comments if you want opinions on uptown, a lot of people seem to agree with ColdRedRain that Uptown used to be so much better I also noticed Wikipedia said the same thing ColdRedRain did "The neighborhoods surrounding Uptown have seen a recent surge in gentrification. This has caused an increase in property value and in property taxes.[10]"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uptown,_Minneapolis

YouTube - Uptown Minneapolis

Old 05-30-2010, 10:47 PM

People have been saying that for years. Unless you lived in Uptown pre-Calhoun Square I don't really buy the "it was so much cooler then" argument. Otherwise when is this mythical golden age of "so much better"? I don't know about ColdRedRain specifically, but in general I seem to hear that most from relatively young people, i.e. those whose earliest Uptown memories seem to be of the '90s. (and the people on that video overall seem to be mostly pretty young, too, which doesn't fully represent Uptown.) And frankly, I don't think there's all that much of a difference between Uptown then and Uptown now, at least not in the sense they're talking about. Uptown's "gentriciation" is nothing new, unless by "recent" they're talking 1980s. I think it's just the trendy thing to bash Uptown because it doesn't live up to some hipster ideal.

Admittedly the area around Lyn-Lake has been more gentrified in recent years since the upscale buildings went in, but there are still plenty of weirdos around, as well as plenty of artists. There are still relatively affordable housing options, just now there is a greater range, especially in the rental market. The crime rates in all of these areas are lower than in years past; I remember several of my friends leaving Lyndale in the '80s and '90s because they were tired of the crack houses and higher crime rates (Whittier and Lyndale had some real problems for awhile there); if gentrificatition means safer streets and neighborhoods then I'll take it. (the parts of Uptown farther west haven't really had room to gentrify all that much, at least not post-Calhoun Square, so I don't know what people are talking about when they complain about recent gentfrication of that area)

I think Uptown is quieter during the daytime than it used to be (used to be a lot more daytime businesses and schools in the area), but I don't think that's what most people are complaining about.

And this whole idea that Uptown is a neighborhood that somehow is just for "young professionals" (which seems to be the thrust of the video) is silly, too. It's a great neighborhood for young people, but also a great neighborhood for old people or people of any ages.

And no one has brought this up, but I'll comment on it anyway, since it usually goes hand-in-hand with the "Uptown sold out" argument: there are still many, many independent places in Uptown. There are some larger corporate chains, but many of them have been there for years and also aren't anything new. Many of the independent places have also been around for years. Don't like the chains? Don't shop there. Shop local. It's certainly easy to do in Uptown.

That's the end of my rant for now, but I think a lot of people don't know what they're talking about when it comes to Uptown. Everyone's entitled to their opinion, but I wish they'd clarify a bit more about what exactly was better about the past and what specific time period they're talking about.

And as far as economic diversity in Lyn-Lake, I'm all for that, too. The people who can afford to live at Blue or Murals can afford to spend money in the neighborhood and help support local businesses that make this a more interesting and vibrant neighborhood. I don't want to see people pushed out, but for the most part that hasn't really been the case. There has been concern with specifically how to support local small businesses, especially those just starting out, and I think that will continue to be an issue in both Uptown and Lyn-Lake. And I do think there needs to be more daytime business use.

Old 05-31-2010, 07:42 AM

21 posts, read 40,190 times
Default Well--I'm one of them, so...

Yeah. Well, I don't mind if there are a lot of business people from all over the country--rather than the weird people (not that I have any problems with weird people). I mean, while I used to be a hippie wannabe in highschool, I have to face it: I'm a professional now Makes me happy that that's what I'll be. And I'm not a Minnesotan, so I think that it would make me feel good that people are from all over and I'm not the odd ball out.
I just want to live in a place where I can meet people that I'd like to hang out with. I'd probably have more in common with "young professionals" anyway.

Thanks a bunch.

Old 05-31-2010, 08:07 AM

21 posts, read 40,190 times
Another Question. Do people drive a lot in Minneapolis?

Old 05-31-2010, 04:44 PM

^ Some do, some don't. My family doesn't; others will drive even for the shortest walk.

Old 05-31-2010, 07:59 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,715,272 times
I think Uptown is a great fit for you. You'll probably meet a lot of people just walking your dog around Lake Calhoun. With your budget, you could probably afford something very close to the lake too. Uptown has fun bars but there are also a lot of galleries, attractions, cafes, restaurants, and just really good people watching. One apartment I'd like to look at is The Calhoun because I hear they have a rooftop pool - LUCKY!!!

Old 06-03-2010, 08:19 AM

2 posts, read 4,123 times
hey! i would check out blue for pet friendly places! i just moved here this week from down South. I ended up renting near Lording Park (kind of between downtown and uptown area). shoot me an email if you want more help or wanna meet up and grab coffee when you are in town! tac3h9@mail.missouri.edu
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul