Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 04:36 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,095,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Wow, I've never seen houses packed that tightly together. Ugh...
What about rowhouses?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2010, 05:02 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,308,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camden Northsider View Post
picture of distance from my side porch window to neighbors house in Minneapolis.
Still closer then any of our neighbors houses but about 10 feet or more.

Random Minneapolis neighborhood-zoom in and click on the satellite view

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=&q=Mi...ed=0CBwQ8gEwAA

Old 06-03-2010, 07:38 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,736,582 times
Not exactly reach-out-and-touch distance, though, and not nearly as close together as the homes in the earlier photo. although personally, I have no problem with close houses if designed well and within an urban context, and would prefer to be closer to my neighbors rather than farther; higher density -- when done right -- also generally translates into a more walkable neighborhood, as there's a higher population to support the local businesses, not to mention more people out walking around.

Most houses in Minneapolis are fairly far apart from each other. There are some rowhouses, but not many. In that sense it's what many people in other cities would think of as "suburban," not in the sense of modern sprawling suburbs, but what you find in inner streetcar suburbs in older cities. The houses in most Minneapolis neighborhoods sit on fairly spacious lots (by many city standards) and are certainly not within (or even near) touching distance of the adjacent properties.

Obviously different people have different tastes; nothing wrong with that. A huge sprawling lot far from neighbors is not my cup of tea, so clearly I will not be buying in those neighborhoods that have that lifestyle. Others obviously feel differently.

Old 06-04-2010, 11:35 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,086,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srsmn View Post
What about rowhouses?
Yeah, okay. And some of the newer developments here in Atlanta do seem to pack them in. At least we have almost half an acre (though only 1/4 acre is grass ... the rest is wooded).

Old 06-04-2010, 02:04 PM

701 posts, read 1,709,199 times
The picture posted of Markham (which I believe is actually a computer-generated image, not a photo) reminds me of some of the new developments in Savage, Eden Prairie and Woodbury--and I'm sure there are others in various suburbs. They are those neighborhoods where you pick from house model A, B or C and then everyone has tiny changes but really the whole neighborhood looks monotonous and piled on top of each other. I have a friend that lives in one and every time I visit I think of that episode of the X Files where a monster attacks anyone whose house doesn't fit the neighborhood association's expectations.

Old 06-04-2010, 02:10 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,660,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraMN View Post
The picture posted of Markham (which I believe is actually a computer-generated image, not a photo) reminds me of some of the new developments in Savage, Eden Prairie and Woodbury--and I'm sure there are others in various suburbs. They are those neighborhoods where you pick from house model A, B or C and then everyone has tiny changes but really the whole neighborhood looks monotonous and piled on top of each other. I have a friend that lives in one and every time I visit I think of that episode of the X Files where a monster attacks anyone whose house doesn't fit the neighborhood association's expectations.
Believe it or not, that picture is real and characteristic of many Canadian suburban neighborhoods. Canada has much more strict growth and development policies when compared to the untied states so new neighborhoods in canada are usually much more compact and sprawl less than their U.S. counterparts. Thust smaller lots and leaving more space open for farming and forest etc. Also, Canadian cities seem to be able to annex neighboring suburbs easier and do it more often than in the U.S. ex. Winnipeg, Calgary, Edmonton, Toronto.

Old 06-04-2010, 03:15 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,415,339 times
So, that's where "density" and "smart growth" gets you? I'll take my sprawl, thanks.

Old 06-04-2010, 07:07 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,308,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota Spring View Post
Believe it or not, that picture is real and characteristic of many Canadian suburban neighborhoods. Canada has much more strict growth and development policies when compared to the untied states so new neighborhoods in canada are usually much more compact and sprawl less than their U.S. counterparts. Thust smaller lots and leaving more space open for farming and forest etc. Also, Canadian cities seem to be able to annex neighboring suburbs easier and do it more often than in the U.S. ex. Winnipeg, Calgary, Edmonton, Toronto.
I was going to say that the photo looked a lot like Calgary when we flew into Calgary several years ago but it was winter so we just thought that the absence of leaves made it look that way, guess not.

Old 06-13-2010, 02:54 PM

5 posts, read 8,783 times
I used to live in Buffalo, NY, and I ahve spent ALOT of time in the GTA. Minneapolis suburbs look nothing like Markham. Due to those housing restrictions, it seems in Ontario they build up instead of out. There are townhomes and condos that are similarly close together. Traffic is not as bad as it is on the 401. We have MNPass which is similar to the 407. There is lightrail, but unlike the subway system. The area is not as big as the GTA. It is fairly clean like most of the GTA. You will like it here.

Old 06-13-2010, 07:04 PM

75 posts, read 575,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter-40c View Post
Which Suburb in/or outside Minneapolis is comparable to Markham or Richmond Hill, North of Toronto.
I have lived in both cities. The picture you showed does not resemble the Markham or Richmond hill that I know from the ground. Markham and Richmond hill are upper middle class neigborhoods of Toronto ands its comparable to Edina, Woodbury, Eden Prairie and Lakeville in the twin cities. Not as affluent as Minnetonka and not as rich in character like Minneapolis or St Paul.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul