Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 06:35 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,747,999 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosemarie87 View Post
oh yeah, not to mention the gangs there, my grandma in law got gang graffiti all over her garage!
Like Motley Crue said: "Girl don't go away mad...girl just go away"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2011, 10:09 PM

60 posts, read 68,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Lurk View Post
I lived in St. Paul for almost 10 years, and I've been gone for 7. I miss living close to Grand Avenue, the bike lanes/trails, the Walker and the Guthrie, the Sculpture Garden, I could go on. I'd still consider coming back, even if it is very cold!
Elicot city is much nicer life...don't be fool

Old 06-27-2011, 01:43 AM

5,509 posts, read 11,878,949 times
OH MY GOD I miss Minneapolis so much lately!!! After the move to O-H-I-O (Ohio State alum, here) and living in the eastern side of the Cleveland area (Shaker Heights), I am getting pretty home sick. I just got back from a trip to Chi-town and I stopped along the interstate at the exit to Sandusky (where Cedar Point is), and there were many things that made me miss Minnesota/Minneapolis:

1.) the signs on the freeway told me there was a Burger King at the exit, yet when I got off the interstate I saw NOTHING showing me where the BK was. I am used to having arrows pointing to where the sites are.

2.) I settled for some snacks at a Shell Gas station instead. I had to go to the bathroom first though and when I asked where it was, I was told there were Port-O-Potty's "round back", with a southern drawl that some Ohioans refuse to admit they have. The Port-O-Potty's at a gast station were a first for me.

3.) The air smelled kinda musty, and frankly a little stinky.

4.) The clientelle at the Shell were mostly truckers, but OMG were they redneck! I'm NOT against rednecks -- they are fine folks -- but I am just not used to it and I don't want to be.

5.) I was looking for something to drink and I saw MANY malt liquor variations of "Four Loko" smattered amongst the selection case. I was tempted to see what these were like, but I didn't think they would make the drive to Chi-town without getting musty. But why does Ohio have so many malt liquor energy drinks that taste like candy? WTF!!

6.) As I checked out the lady at the register was completely stoic: no smile, no greeting, no questions, no "customer service", and lastly, no response to my politeness. I truly miss how polite (fake or not) Minnesotans are at all levels of employment. In fact, I find the rudest MN's at the highest levels of employment, like Directors or Vice Presidents of large companies (true jerks sometimes).

This made me miss my home so much I became anxietal and panicky about it. I even told my wife about it. I know we aren't moving/moving back anytime soon so I need to get used to Ohio again, but man, even one damn pit-stop had so many things that made me feel uncomfortable I am a little pessimistic about fitting in here (even though I lived in Columbus for 5 years prior to this). I know part of this is that I am "home-grown" and have a bias, but for anyone who HAS lived in many different regions/states/cities, I can tell you that VERY few places compare to Minneapolis. Even Chicago, which is still just too stressful, rude, racist, and impolite. That makes me a little sad too, because I love/loved Chicago so much. But every time I visit I get very disenchanted with it, and so do many of my relatives who live there (always have something negative to say about the city). I don't like the pessimism and lack of community pride here (except the IMMEDIATE area where I live, which has lots of community pride and activities -- a HUGE plus!).

Old 06-27-2011, 07:42 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,657,482 times
Good luck with your Cleveland move. When I was a kid, I lived on Caledonia in Shaker Heights (or Cleveland Hts), down the block from a ravine where my dad & I found dinosaur footprints! I remember going to Sandusky to watch the ore boats unload.

Old 06-27-2011, 10:00 AM

1,816 posts, read 3,028,134 times
Quote:
No I definitely don't miss it, esp the horrendous weather! St. Paul is the most beautiful though but not fond of the lifestyle at all, the hicks, the accents, the weather, the traffic, lack of supply, lack of culture, too many crazy religous cults preaching, esp can't stand all the binge drinking and drug use! I live in LA now and I have to say, Minnesota tops it the worst with that by far and my other family and friends who live there and use to live there agree. I have never met so many alcoholics and drug addicts in my life and so many young people like that who are unemployed! I think it's the weather that makes them have nothing better to do. I also have never met so many people esp young people there who all have mental health issues, depression, schizo, bipolar, anxiety, etc. Alot of young parents who have babies as teens and out of wedlock and go off and do drugs and drink. It must be the lifestyle there that promotes that. Esp those small towns, alot of meth! St. Cloud and Duluth top it with that, esp St. Cloud! That's cause that's where alot of the young druggies drunks are.
A cursory glance at you obviously points to you being a troll, but I just want to point out a few things so that future readers won't get any wrong ideas.

1. What lifestyle are you referring to that is so...bad?
2. There are hicks on the fringe, but I've found the city of Minneapolis itself (and many of the surrounding suburbs) to be a sort of oasis of the non-hick variety.
3. The weather can be bad for some. I'll give you that. I love the seasonal changes, though.
4. The traffic? Really? This coming from someone who lives in LA? You've gotta be pulling our legs.
5. What "supply" are we lacking?
6. There's plenty of culture, so it's pretty obvious you weren't looking for it.
7. What crazy religious cults were preaching to you? My life in northern Minnesota (Duluth) before I moved to Minneapolis wasn't exactly super religious, but I've found religion to be even more of a quiet thing here in the metro.
8. I'm sure plenty of people binge drink, but I think one only needs to look a little east to our brothers in Wisconsin to see what real binge drinking is. Haha. That said, it sounds like you're running with the wrong crowd if excessive drinking and drug use was so prevalent.
9. If you're worried about teenage pregnancy, you might want to leave your beloved California. Nearly 10 percent of pregnancies come from mothers age 15-19, ranking it seventh place among states.

Old 06-27-2011, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
OH MY GOD I miss Minneapolis so much lately!!! After the move to O-H-I-O (Ohio State alum, here) and living in the eastern side of the Cleveland area (Shaker Heights), I am getting pretty home sick. I just got back from a trip to Chi-town and I stopped along the interstate at the exit to Sandusky (where Cedar Point is), and there were many things that made me miss Minnesota/Minneapolis:

1.) the signs on the freeway told me there was a Burger King at the exit, yet when I got off the interstate I saw NOTHING showing me where the BK was. I am used to having arrows pointing to where the sites are.

2.) I settled for some snacks at a Shell Gas station instead. I had to go to the bathroom first though and when I asked where it was, I was told there were Port-O-Potty's "round back", with a southern drawl that some Ohioans refuse to admit they have. The Port-O-Potty's at a gast station were a first for me.

3.) The air smelled kinda musty, and frankly a little stinky.

4.) The clientelle at the Shell were mostly truckers, but OMG were they redneck! I'm NOT against rednecks -- they are fine folks -- but I am just not used to it and I don't want to be.

5.) I was looking for something to drink and I saw MANY malt liquor variations of "Four Loko" smattered amongst the selection case. I was tempted to see what these were like, but I didn't think they would make the drive to Chi-town without getting musty. But why does Ohio have so many malt liquor energy drinks that taste like candy? WTF!!

6.) As I checked out the lady at the register was completely stoic: no smile, no greeting, no questions, no "customer service", and lastly, no response to my politeness. I truly miss how polite (fake or not) Minnesotans are at all levels of employment. In fact, I find the rudest MN's at the highest levels of employment, like Directors or Vice Presidents of large companies (true jerks sometimes).

This made me miss my home so much I became anxietal and panicky about it. I even told my wife about it. I know we aren't moving/moving back anytime soon so I need to get used to Ohio again, but man, even one damn pit-stop had so many things that made me feel uncomfortable I am a little pessimistic about fitting in here (even though I lived in Columbus for 5 years prior to this). I know part of this is that I am "home-grown" and have a bias, but for anyone who HAS lived in many different regions/states/cities, I can tell you that VERY few places compare to Minneapolis. Even Chicago, which is still just too stressful, rude, racist, and impolite. That makes me a little sad too, because I love/loved Chicago so much. But every time I visit I get very disenchanted with it, and so do many of my relatives who live there (always have something negative to say about the city). I don't like the pessimism and lack of community pride here (except the IMMEDIATE area where I live, which has lots of community pride and activities -- a HUGE plus!).
Cleveland is a wonderful city. You have to learn to appreciate your new home. Get to know the people, their lifestyles. You lucky they have a nice lake.

Old 06-27-2011, 11:25 AM

rosemarie87 is right!!!

Old 06-27-2011, 03:28 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,878,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soonmoving1 View Post
Cleveland is a wonderful city. You have to learn to appreciate your new home. Get to know the people, their lifestyles. You lucky they have a nice lake.
I'm obviously trying, but that doesn't mean I don't miss home.

Old 06-28-2011, 10:07 AM

2,330 posts, read 3,812,226 times
Quote:
I live in LA now and I have to say, Minnesota tops it the worst with that by far and my other family and friends who live there and use to live there agree. I have never met so many alcoholics and drug addicts in my life and so many young people like that who are unemployed! I think it's the weather that makes them have nothing better to do. I also have never met so many people esp young people there who all have mental health issues, depression, schizo, bipolar, anxiety, etc.
The weirdos are my favorite part of living in Minneapolis.

If you think there are hicks here then you have never been to a place that has real hicks. You should visit rural Pennslyvania, you will see.

I didn't grow up here but every time I travel somewhere returning to the Twin Cities always makes me happy I live here.

Old 06-28-2011, 12:44 PM

927 posts, read 2,466,766 times
I moved away from Minneapolis a year ago after living there for almost 19 years. While I'm sure I'll move back someday, because that's where all my "real" friends/family are and it's the place I have the most roots, no I don't miss it at all.

The crappy weather, the flakey people, road construction, taxes, doing the same things over and over every year, ugh... It's fine if you like it there, but it's just not for me.

If you are thinking about moving, I encourage you to do it. You’ll have different experience than most people in the Twin Cities because you spread your wings and flew away from the nest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul