Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 07:27 AM

5 posts, read 8,927 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are moving back to MN soon. We really want our daughter to move with us but she is not convinced. We have family there and have visited many times but she has only seen the southern suburbs. We are visiting next week and want to show her that there is so much more to Mpls/St. Paul then she has seen. Do anyone have suggestion as to what we should show her and fun things to do. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2010, 07:35 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,297,575 times
What does she like to do? Why doesn't she want to move?

Old 06-08-2010, 07:49 AM

She likes the outdoors. She likes outdoor concerts, coffee, tye dye, natural stuff. Walkable areas.

She does not want to move beacuse of the MN winters and because she has friends here. Any suggestions would be appreciated!!! I have not lived up there in many years so am out of touch with what is going on. Thanks!

Old 06-08-2010, 09:18 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,731,484 times
Check out downtown around the Stone Arch Bridge -- have dinner somewhere on the St. Anthony side of the river (the other side from downtown), walk over the bridge itself and check out the river, walk around the Mills District, etc.

Have lunch or a snack at the Tin Fish restaurant/snack bar on the shore of Lake Calhoun (where Lake Street runs into the lake), then walk around Lake of the Isles and check out Uptown. Maybe rent a boat (there's a stand right there, too) and canoe through the little canal that links Lake Calhoun with Isles.

Walk up "Eat Street", the part of Nicollet south of downtown, near the MIA; I think it's been about 10 years, maybe more, since it got the Eat Street name in reflection of its many, many restaurants, cafes, coffee houses, markets, etc., many of them started by immigrants from all over the world.

Wander around the Sculpture Garden and check out the iconic spoon and cherry sculpture.

There are probably some outdoor festivals or concerts next week; you could check listings in places like City Pages or online.

Old 06-08-2010, 09:24 AM

Great suggestions, thank you!!!

Old 06-08-2010, 09:44 AM

40 posts, read 156,927 times
Yeah those are some awesome ideas!! I think another cool spot she might like is the Midtown Exchange Building. Lot's of cool vendors and food there. Very cultural. =) Maybe sometime during the weekend bring her to Minnehaha falls too! In the summer time around here there are always TONS of cool festivals too. I good idea would be to check out the City Pages magazine. (They are free and you can find them all around town.) Or have her go to Citypages.com...they have tons of great info on what to do, whats happening in the next few weeks, and the low down on places. I used to hate living here when I was younger but now I have such an appreciation for it and absolutely love the cities.(I am 21 too, so about the same age as her, and enjoy a lot of the same type of stuff.) Of course, I could do without the wretched winters, but if you can get through that few months of cold it is worth it. Good Luck!!

Old 06-08-2010, 10:21 AM

Thanks Nicholemarie!! It is great to get ideas from someone her age!! I know if she sees all the great spots in the cities she will love it!

Old 06-11-2010, 04:49 PM

1,178 posts, read 2,706,475 times
You should come here during the Basillica Block Party, Taste of Minnesota, State Fair, swing by a Twins Game at Target Field and do the Segway tour in NE MPLS, and go rent bikes and visit the greenway. Check out the Cherry and Spoon, Loring Park, Lake Calhoun, Stone Arch Bridge.

When you're exhausted, go to sleep and get up and do it all over again, but in St. Paul. Check out the Cathedral, State Capitol Building, The Bluffs, and Check out a St. Paul Saints game at the Midway, and Summit Avenue!

Old 06-11-2010, 08:09 PM

Location: Moved to Gladstone, MO in June 2022 and back to Minnesota in September 2022
2,072 posts, read 5,062,282 times
Well if your daughter is 20 then she is a legal adult and can make her own choices, though MSP is a great area and try to convince her, but the ultimate decision is still hers

Old 06-25-2010, 07:04 AM

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! We are back from our trip and had a great time! We walked around lake Calhoun, down Lake Street, and had lunch on Stellas roof. It was great! We also went to Antler Park at Lake Marion. She also took the Lightrail downtown with her brother. She loved it all and is planning on moving to MN. Yipee!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul