Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 10:47 PM

100 posts, read 253,527 times

Advertisements

1. Which city do you like more?? DULUTH
2. Which city has a brighter future?? ROCHESTER
3. What are some major differences between the two cities??
* Duluth is more blue collar. Very divided between the richer East end and the lower middle class and middle class of West end. Old Money town where old money is more respected than new money. More character than Rochester and has a bigger city feel. Lake is amazing.
* Rochester is growing so much. 20 years ago, it wouldn't be envisoned that Duluth would be passed by Rochester. It is slighly more family friendly than Duluth and has a brighter future due to Health care.
4. Which city has better neighborhoods??
Depends. Duluth's best neighborhoods beat Rochester's best but Rochester's worst beat Duluth's worst.
5. Which city has a better downtown?? DULUTH
6. Which city is prettier? (Nature and man made) DULUTH (Rochester is a boring city)
7. Which is more recognizable on a regional (midwest) and national scale? DULUTH. Yes, many may disagree but Duluth and the lift bridge are much better known on the national stage than Rochester. Rochester has Mayo, but that's it. Obviously, this is very arguable but the reality is, Duluth is a metro of 270,000 people, Rochester is 100,000.

I have never been to Rochester, MN. (Well, drove through it once a few years ago, but haven't ''experienced'' it)

Rochester, Minnesota really interests me. It seems like a really cool city, and seems like it has a chance to become MN's next large metro (currently behind Duluth-Superior and St. Cloud)

Duluth, Minnesota obviously has had it's past [agreed]. Once was a really glamourous city, trying to rebound now, still has tons going on there. To me, Duluth, Minnesota is the worlds smallest 'big city'. Seriously, a town of 90,000 people sometimes feels like a town of 5,000 with recognizable faces, etc.

Rochester and Duluth could not represent any different geography of MN than they do now. Duluth is located in the NE Arrowhead. With pine trees, hills, and bluffs, not to mention Lake Superior. Rochester is in corn country, ligh rolling hills.

In 1970 Duluth, Minnesota had about 105,000 people and Rochester, Minnesota had about 55,000. 40 years later and Rochester sits at about 100,000 and Duluth is at about 90,000. Is this a representation of the future for the respective cities?

Yes. Duluth has few good jobs so any smart student would get the heck out of the area. There's just not a lot of good opportunities because there aren't very many companies.

Let's hear it from C-D users?

Rochester, Minnesota
About 100,000 people
Founded 1854
14 Buildings over 10 stories
IBM and Mayo Clinic as Major Employers
Century, Mayo and John Marshall + Lourdes High Schools
University of Minnesota-Rochester

Duluth, Minnesota
About 90,000 people
Founded 1857
16 Buildings over 10 stories
SMDC and Cirrus Design as Major Employers
Denfeld, East and Central + Marshall High Schools
University of Minnesota-Duluth
---------------------------------------
I wish somebody would take Duluth out of its present location and plop Minneapolis on the lake. That would be a great city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2010, 09:32 AM

47 posts, read 150,517 times
1. Which city do you like more??
Duluth
2. Which city has a brighter future??
Rochester with the Mayo Clinic and all, but Duluth is turning it around but it won't ever match the growth of Rochester.
3. What are some major differences between the two cities??
Aside from the obvious economic differences, I think Duluth has the character that makes it a special place. A lot of similar sized cities don't have the charm, or the grit, or the views that make Duluth what it is.
4. Which city has better neighborhoods??
Up to personal opinion, but Duluth's Congdon neighborhood is beautiful, and there are great stories about Morgan Park and Morley Heights neighborhoods.
5. Which city has a better downtown??
Better meaning newer, Rochester wins this one. Duluth's is turning into the entertainment district with restaurants in restored buildings and some day, Old Downtown will merge with Fitgers and will be the place to go besides Canal Park.
6. Which city is prettier? (Nature and man made)
Nature: Duluth, Man Made: Rochester.
7. Which is more recognizable on a regional (midwest) and national scale?
I would say pretty much even. Rochester has the Mayo Clinic and IBM, while Duluth is more well known for the Lake, Cold, and the wilderness.

Old 07-05-2010, 02:09 PM

1,833 posts, read 3,351,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MINresident View Post
Obviously, this is very arguable but the reality is, Duluth is a metro of 270,000 people, Rochester is 100,000.
that's not reality. Rochester itself has over 100,000 people, not to mention the metro area stuff is so ridiculous. For Duluth's to be consider all the way to Canada is lame, and for Rochester, it's not taken into account all the people who come to Rochester from outside the 2 or 3 small counties considered the metro. Therefore, metro size has nothing to do with how well known the cities are on a national basis. I still say it can go either way, but that argument is a poor one for why Duluth is more well known. I personally don't think the lift bridge is as well known either. It's well known in this part of the country, but in general, there are a lot of different lift bridges - not just in Duluth.

Old 07-05-2010, 08:28 PM

1,178 posts, read 2,706,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromupthere View Post
that's not reality. Rochester itself has over 100,000 people, not to mention the metro area stuff is so ridiculous. For Duluth's to be consider all the way to Canada is lame, and for Rochester, it's not taken into account all the people who come to Rochester from outside the 2 or 3 small counties considered the metro. Therefore, metro size has nothing to do with how well known the cities are on a national basis. I still say it can go either way, but that argument is a poor one for why Duluth is more well known. I personally don't think the lift bridge is as well known either. It's well known in this part of the country, but in general, there are a lot of different lift bridges - not just in Duluth.

The Duluth-Superior Metropolitan Area does include St. Louis County, Carlton County and Douglas County (WI). St. Louis County stretches all the way to Canada but only has 32 people per sq mile. The biggest cities in order are Duluth-85,000 Hibbing-17,000 Hermantown-11,000 Chisholm-5,000...that's about it.... Nearly half of the 275,000 residents in Duluth-Superior Metropolitan Area reside in Duluth (85,000) + Hermantown (11,000) + Superior (28,000) + Proctor (3,000).

I think the Lift Bridge is really well known. It's only 1 of 2 in the entire world... Duluth's canal park brings in over 3.5 million visitors a year. I don't really think there's a PR problem...

Your problem with metro areas is just misleading yourself... Duluth much more of a regional center than Rochester, due to Rochester's proximity to the Twin Cities. People as far as International Falls come to Duluth to do their business or depend on Duluth as being 'the big city'.

Old 07-05-2010, 08:39 PM

I continue to disagree with you and am not misleading myself. I know all about the cities in St. Louis County and their populations. I've lived in more than one city there and am well aware of life in places other than Duluth and how things work.

And as far as well known, you do realize people from all over the world come to Mayo - so when some major king or prince or president of another country comes here, it's world-wide news. I still don't think the lift bridge is as big of a draw as others think it is, and I am entitled to that opinion, no matter how rare that particular kind of lift bridge is.

Old 07-05-2010, 08:42 PM

2,105 posts, read 4,600,736 times
I dont think Rochester is as big of a draw for things to do or see, or even known as that much of a tourist town, however I do like Rochester, but Duluth has more of a draw.

Old 07-05-2010, 08:46 PM

No it really isn't a tourist town, but there are lots of things to do. You just have to look for them here.

Old 07-05-2010, 08:55 PM

2,105 posts, read 4,600,736 times
Yes There are lots of things to do in Rochester, I really like this town alot, used to bike ride on the trails to here from another towns in Southern Minnesota, just to hang out. The river has great history and many wildlife viewing areas, Id never say nothing bad about the town, no reason to.
I just simply say that there is more to do in Duluth area is all, but there is plenty to do in Rochester also.

Old 07-05-2010, 09:02 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,583,545 times
I prefer Duluth. The Zumbro River can't hold a candle to Lake Superior, and Rochester is a very bland looking city to me. Duluth is a much more interesting place to visit. Rochester undoubtably has a brighter future, though. Duluth's glory days are long past, Rochester's are in the future.

Old 07-06-2010, 10:22 AM

1,178 posts, read 2,706,921 times
Pretty sure the 'Mayo' doesn't draw 3.5 million people a year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota