U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 01:44 AM

1,080 posts, read 2,177,015 times

Advertisements

1. Which city do you like more??
Duluth by far. It's a cooler city (in both ways) and I'm just much more fond of Northern MN. Anything south or west of the Mississippi in this state is kind of bland and unappealing to me.
2. Which city has a brighter future??
I think Rochester is much more stable; it will always have consistant source of jobs that will prevent it from taking any kind of major hit. That being said, it will always remain the same old place and doesn't have nearly the amount of potential Duluth has. If Duluth could get the right political leadership that can start bringing in businesses then Duluth could more than turn around and become a top-tier place to live. Rochester simply does not have the built in advantages Duluth has in terms of location and scenery.
3. What are some major differences between the two cities??
Duluth's a scenic, touristy city located on a hill hanging over the largest lake in the world. Rochester is located on essentially flat farmland down near Iowa but has a much more stable economy. Duluth is very blue collar that was developed on the steel industry and shipping. Rochester is based on tech and healthcare industries and is as white collar/professional as you can get.
4. Which city has better neighborhoods??
Duluth's top historic neighborhoods blow away anything in Rochester. That being said, Rochester doesn't have nearly as much decaying neighborhoods as Duluth has.
5. Which city has a better downtown??
Duluth. If Canal Park could somehow be better integrated into Downtown then this would not even be close.
6. Which city is prettier? (Nature and man made)
Duluth both ways. Naturally the reason is obvious. For man-made structures, I prefer the old grittiness of Duluth's buildings to Rochester more plain and modern architecture.
7. Which is more recognizable on a regional (midwest) and national scale?
Nationally, they're about the same. In the Upper Midwest, Duluth is much more known seeing how it is just much more of a vaction destination for Minnesotans, Dakotans, Iowans, and Wisconsinites. I think most people would greatly prefer to not have a reason to visit Rochester.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2010, 12:44 AM

1 posts, read 6,238 times
I love Rochester. In fact, I'm thinking about moving there. I have relatives in Duluth and it's a weird city. Half of the city is run down and the other half is just an urban wasteland (lots of shopping malls and outlet centers). Most of Rochester is new or is being updated. They have cultural events going on all the time. They actually get some big bands coming through on tour. The Mayo Clinic is top notch and there are two major universities that offer classes in Rochester plus they have a community college that's pretty great.
Rochester definately has a brighter future. They have the Mayo Clinic that employs hundreds of people. They have IBM and the universities. The percentage of people with college degrees are higher in Rochester. I can't even think of any major employers in Duluth.
Rochester is a very scenic city that offers a lot of culture and nightlife. Duluth is more rundown with old buildings and I don't find the scenery very appealing. They have the lake but Rochester also has some recreation lakes plus it is located on the Zumbro River. Rochester is situated in the hills and the woods - it's very pretty, especially in the fall. It's only an hour from the Mississippi so there are a lot of state parks nearby for outdoor recreation. Duluth stays cool, even cold, for most of the year while Rochester enjoys a nice climate for most of the year.
Rochester has many family friendly neighborhoods and up and coming neighborhoods that are close to downtown. I'm not too familiar with Duluth's neighborhoods but my Aunt that lives in Duluth is in a very crummy neighborhood that has high crime. Rochester has a low crime rate for it's size. Rochester has many parks so every neighborhood is close to outdoor recreation.
Rochester by far. They have better bars, free parking on nights and weekends, it's right on the river and it's gorgeous at night when the buildings are lit up. During the day, they have street fairs with bands and food vendors. It's a lot of fun.
Rochester by a lot. Rochester is located on a river and is nestled into rolling hills. There are lakes located within the city. The city also has a lot of parks. Man made, Rochester again. Rochester has really pretty modern buildings and they have some cool older buildings. The buildings and even homes in Rochester are upkept very well. Duluth has a bunch of run down buildings that are an eyesore. Every time I've been to Duluth, the lake has been pretty ugly (gray with a freezing cold spray blowing in your face - not appealing to me).
I think Rochester is more recognizable. Everyone knows where the Mayo Clinic is located. Most people I know from out state think that Duluth is a city in Georgia. Not many people have heard of Duluth, MN. Some people do mix up Rochester, MN with the city in NY but everyone has heard of the Mayo Clinic. Many celebrities come to Rochester for health care.

I'm editing this to add that Rochester has a very unique and interesting history. The first college in the state was founded in Rochester by Dr. Mayo. Rochester was also a stagecoach stop between St Paul and Dubuque, IA in the 1850's and 60's.

Last edited by AllyG47; 08-17-2010 at 12:53 AM..

Old 08-17-2010, 10:56 AM

1,178 posts, read 2,598,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllyG47 View Post
I love Rochester. In fact, I'm thinking about moving there. I have relatives in Duluth and it's a weird city. Half of the city is run down and the other half is just an urban wasteland (lots of shopping malls and outlet centers). Most of Rochester is new or is being updated. They have cultural events going on all the time. They actually get some big bands coming through on tour. The Mayo Clinic is top notch and there are two major universities that offer classes in Rochester plus they have a community college that's pretty great.
Rochester definately has a brighter future. They have the Mayo Clinic that employs hundreds of people. They have IBM and the universities. The percentage of people with college degrees are higher in Rochester. I can't even think of any major employers in Duluth.
Rochester is a very scenic city that offers a lot of culture and nightlife. Duluth is more rundown with old buildings and I don't find the scenery very appealing. They have the lake but Rochester also has some recreation lakes plus it is located on the Zumbro River. Rochester is situated in the hills and the woods - it's very pretty, especially in the fall. It's only an hour from the Mississippi so there are a lot of state parks nearby for outdoor recreation. Duluth stays cool, even cold, for most of the year while Rochester enjoys a nice climate for most of the year.
Rochester has many family friendly neighborhoods and up and coming neighborhoods that are close to downtown. I'm not too familiar with Duluth's neighborhoods but my Aunt that lives in Duluth is in a very crummy neighborhood that has high crime. Rochester has a low crime rate for it's size. Rochester has many parks so every neighborhood is close to outdoor recreation.
Rochester by far. They have better bars, free parking on nights and weekends, it's right on the river and it's gorgeous at night when the buildings are lit up. During the day, they have street fairs with bands and food vendors. It's a lot of fun.
Rochester by a lot. Rochester is located on a river and is nestled into rolling hills. There are lakes located within the city. The city also has a lot of parks. Man made, Rochester again. Rochester has really pretty modern buildings and they have some cool older buildings. The buildings and even homes in Rochester are upkept very well. Duluth has a bunch of run down buildings that are an eyesore. Every time I've been to Duluth, the lake has been pretty ugly (gray with a freezing cold spray blowing in your face - not appealing to me).
I think Rochester is more recognizable. Everyone knows where the Mayo Clinic is located. Most people I know from out state think that Duluth is a city in Georgia. Not many people have heard of Duluth, MN. Some people do mix up Rochester, MN with the city in NY but everyone has heard of the Mayo Clinic. Many celebrities come to Rochester for health care.

I'm editing this to add that Rochester has a very unique and interesting history. The first college in the state was founded in Rochester by Dr. Mayo. Rochester was also a stagecoach stop between St Paul and Dubuque, IA in the 1850's and 60's.
1. Duluth has St. Luke's and St. Mary's Hospital that are huge medical center's for all of the Arrowhead region (all the way to Canada), Northern WI, and Wester UP of MI. Cirrus is a major employer as well. And... The East Side of Duluth is gorgeous, giant mansion homes that rival anything in MN. Duluth gets huge bands all the time, and there is constantly something going on-Grandma's Marathon, Bayfront, Tall Ships, etc. And, Duluth has UMD, LSC, and CSS and DBU, not to mention UWS across the bay.

2. I think that Duluth actually has a brighter future. That's the only way to go. I've lived in Duluth for 2 years and cannot even begin to explain all the changes. Rochester is already on top and I feel has experienced the biggest growth it will ever have.

3. I have a hard time believing you've ever 'experienced' Duluth. The Lake actually keeps Duluth warmer in the winter. And the summer isn't 'cold' either, it's glorious. And how can you say that Rochester > Duluth when it comes to scenery? I know for a fact Rochester cannot compete with this:
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs550.ash1/32100_679440025141_56000713_38725860_1588210_n.jpg (broken link)
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs043.snc4/34495_687361530381_56000713_39046636_6218413_n.jpg (broken link)
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs054.snc4/35072_687361824791_56000713_39046661_1873360_n.jpg (broken link)
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v342/135/17/56000713/n56000713_34953231_25.jpg (broken link)

4. Duluth has historic neighborhoods. Chester Park, Lincoln Park, Morgan Park, Duluth Heights, Lakeside, Congdon all are excellent neighborhoods. If you like skinny streets linned with 100 yr old Oaks and 1900's mansions, Duluth is the place to be. Not all neighborhoods are 'crummy'.

5. Again, cool, you think Rochester has a great DT. But I still think Duluth has a better one. Better skyline, better skyway system, better highrises. etc.
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs550.ash1/32100_679438213771_56000713_38725772_5467508_n.jpg (broken link)
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs191.snc4/37882_687361590261_56000713_39046639_2736828_n.jpg (broken link)
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs550.ash1/32100_679437944311_56000713_38725740_1877575_n.jpg (broken link)

6. Again, nice troll job, but Rochester isn't 'prettier' than Duluth. Sorry. And, Duluth has more sq miles of Parks than any other city in the USA...Not to mention hiking trails.
And yeah, the lake looks so gray here
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs046.snc4/34673_687360637171_56000713_39046602_3296293_n.jpg (broken link)

7. More recognizable? You could agrue both. Duluth has radio stations that cover the Arrowhead, Southern Ontario, Northern Wisconsin and the UP of Michigan. Duluth was home to the first NFL team and home to more millionairs per capita in the 1920s. Duluth is a GIANT tourist draw. Just this summer I have met people from Maryland, Pennsylvania, and North Carolina and West Virginia here on vacay. Take a 10 minute drive through Canal Park and you'll easily see 10-15 different state license plates.

Sorry to nit pick your post, but it just seems like you love Rochester so much and have had 1 bad experience in Duluth. It's just crazy to say Rochester is more beautiful for scenery and that it has a bigger DT, when Rochester clearly isn't and doesn't

Old 08-17-2010, 11:06 AM

781 posts, read 2,535,183 times
I don't mean to nitpick, and I say these with the best of intentions.

Quote:
Half of the city is run down and the other half is just an urban wasteland (lots of shopping malls and outlet centers).
It's not exactly this cut and dry. Duluth is a very long city with very different neighborhoods throughout the entire length. The urban wasteland that you speak of is essentially on top of the hill and not really all that different from any other suburban shopping center. It also does not make up anywhere near half of Duluth (or at least does not make up half of what Duluthians feel Duluth "represents")

Quote:
I'm not too familiar with Duluth's neighborhoods but my Aunt that lives in Duluth is in a very crummy neighborhood that has high crime.
There are certainly crummy neighborhoods in Duluth, but it sounds like you're passing judgement on only portions of the city. If you've never left West Duluth or the mall area, I can certainly understand how you could feel that way. If you're ever up to Duluth again and have the time, try taking a tour of the easterly neighborhoods. Pretty much anywhere east of 21st Ave East is very nice. Check out the neighborhoods of Woodland, Lakeside, Congdon, Chester Bowl or even Kenwood and I think you'll get a very different feeling.

The length of Duluth makes the distances between neighborhoods very large and introduces interesting dynamics in people's lives; so much so that people who grow up in the far west neighborhoods (Morgan Park, Riverside, etc) may never even see portions of East Duluth (and vice versa).

That said, Duluth is not for everyone and some may never like the older feeling of even the well kept neighborhoods. It is definitely a love/hate thing.

Old 12-11-2010, 07:58 PM

5 posts, read 26,274 times
Rochester:

Duluth:

Which city do i prefer? Rochester

Which has a brighter future? Rochester, it has the clinic which draws over 2 million visitors a year and that list includes many international politicians. plus theres IBM

Neighborhoods? Duluth is more historical. Rochester has Pill Hill where all the doctors live, lots of neat old huge houses there

Downtown? Rochester, its WAY more modern and not shabby looking like the once great Duluth.

Prettier? Duluth.. it has the lake. (but its colder so thats a downer XD)

Midwest position? Duluth.

Last edited by rochesterite; 12-11-2010 at 08:12 PM..

Old 01-10-2011, 05:26 PM

8 posts, read 35,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Cann View Post
[b]

Rochester, Minnesota
About 100,000 people
Founded 1854
14 Buildings over 10 stories
IBM and Mayo Clinic as Major Employers
Century, Mayo and John Marshall + Lourdes High Schools
University of Minnesota-Rochester
Rochester has more high schools and colleges than the one mentioned here.
High Schools: The ones you mentioned plus Schaffer Academy.
Colleges: UMR, Minnesota School of Business, RCTC, Mayo Med School, Cardinal Stritch, and one more that I can't remember the name of. Also, Rochester actually has about 20 building with more than 10 stories, and has the tallest buildings for a US city with a metro of less than 200,000.

Old 01-10-2011, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Cann View Post
I think that Duluth actually has a brighter future. That's the only way to go. I've lived in Duluth for 2 years and cannot even begin to explain all the changes. Rochester is already on top and I feel has experienced the biggest growth it will ever have.
According to the Census, Rochester has always been growing, at an average of over 20%, whereas in recent decades, Duluth has been shrinking.

Old 01-10-2011, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN55 View Post
Duluth's a scenic, touristy city located on a hill hanging over the largest lake in the world. Rochester is located on essentially flat farmland down near Iowa but has a much more stable economy. Duluth is very blue collar that was developed on the steel industry and shipping. Rochester is based on tech and healthcare industries and is as white collar/professional as you can get.
That part about the area around Rochester being flat is a joke, right? It may have as many hills as Duluth, but it has a lot of steep hills.

Old 01-10-2011, 05:53 PM

1,833 posts, read 3,150,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookie6533 View Post
Colleges: UMR, Minnesota School of Business, RCTC, Mayo Med School, Cardinal Stritch, and one more that I can't remember the name of. Also, Rochester actually has about 20 building with more than 10 stories, and has the tallest buildings for a US city with a metro of less than 200,000.
There's a campus for St. Scholastica here as well as one can take classes for Augsburg, Winona State and St. Mary's.

Old 01-11-2011, 07:30 PM

5 posts, read 26,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookie6533 View Post
Schaffer shouldnet even count, it has like 100 students k~12... my elementary school had/has more kids. Lourdes is like 500 for a 9~12 school.. which still isnt that big.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota