Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 01:27 PM

23,769 posts, read 28,926,076 times

Advertisements

100% agree with the OP's point that Wayzata's youth take their life for granted and can't appreciate what the lower class people who live in Edina must put up with because their parents can't make the grade.

Secondly, we need 16-year-olds to be more vocal and even if they don't have a lot of life experience to refer to, they are likely less jaundiced than older people and can run away faster from their mistakes when they make them.

Thirdly, to the person (you know who you are) that was complaining about not enough mountains in Minnesota. Try crawling down around in the gutter and look up. From close up, at street level, with a fifth of gin in you...those curbs will look like the Himalayans in no time flat. Remember to keep your legs parallel with the street so they don't get run over by a bus, or trip up a bicyclist.

Old 09-03-2010, 01:34 PM

679 posts, read 1,797,922 times
I grew up on the east coast, I have seen precisely what you are talking about. Since we lived only in Stillwater and Minneapolis proper during our time in MN, I didn't experience any of what you did. I found the Stillwater area has its share of wealthy people, but by and large they don't flaunt it and are very humble. Try to surround yourself with like-minded individuals and enjoy what is great about where you live. I certainly envy your proximity to water!! Personally, I found individual HS sports (X-C, track, swimming, tennis, etc.) to harbor some of the smartest, hardest working kids and a very diverse crowd as well. Some of my very best friends were the ones I ran or swam with and they were from ALL walks of life. Hang in there... College will be here before you know it!

Old 09-03-2010, 02:47 PM

7,641 posts, read 18,076,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
I know exactly what you mean. It's not a rareity to have a mid 20's something reference that her parents pay for her rent/cell phone/car insurace/student loans.

Since I am 100% independent and self sustaining, it boggles my mind that there are 27 yr old women I've met that have their parents still pay some of their bills.

Reps to you. I have been saying this for years. I am so glad that when I turned 15 my parents brought me up to the local gas station and made me fill out an application. I am glad that when I turned 16 I took that savings from said job and financed my own vehicle, with $250/mo. payments. I'm glad the summer after graduating my parents encouraged me to get a 50 hr/week summer job. I'm glad my parents encouraged me to work during college to stay on track. Now, I'm a mid 20s guy that depend on my parents for absolutely nothing. I haven't gotten money from my parents in years. And it's good to know if I called them right now for anything, I could. But I wont. Because they raised me right and I can say I see it all around. I can notice peers my age that are just a little 'babied' and it's probably because mommy and daddy make their insurance payments or pay for that iphone.
Why does even a Minnesotan feel the need to brag how about how hard they worked ? And what's the value in being independent of your parents? My mom (my father died) relies on me for some things, and I rely on my mom for others; I don't like how individualistic American society has become.

Old 09-03-2010, 03:21 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,019,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Why does even a Minnesotan feel the need to brag how about how hard they worked ? And what's the value in being independent of your parents? My mom (my father died) relies on me for some things, and I rely on my mom for others; I don't like how individualistic American society has become.
Has become? The US was built by pioneers striking out on their own.

Old 09-03-2010, 04:00 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,647,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Are you kidding me?
That's the exact reason why this country was founded -By individuals, people who want to express their own individualism... That's why this country is the mecca for people flocking here.

All I'm saying is that I work hard, and anybody can do it, instead of copping out and using mommy and daddy as a crutch.

Not bragging about hard I work, it's just I think a lot of people don't work hard enough, and easily cop out to mom and dad. I have a few friends that still have their mom and dad pay for their cell phone. To me, that's just mind boggling (over the age of 24?)

To me the value of not depending on my parents? i feel self fufilment. Personal gratitude. I feel like thanks, Mom and dad for putting a roof over my head and feeding me, clothing me for 18 yrs. It's no longer neccessary, use that extra income to reap the benefits of being middle aged with extra money. That's why.. I feel like I'd be a burden to my parents. I mean I can vote, fight wars, legally drink, pay taxes, have a mortgage, but... my mom and dad pay my cell phone bill? what a joke.

Old 09-08-2010, 08:41 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,646,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diloon View Post
This thread is merely a warning to people considering moving here about how elitist families are supreme here.
Y'know, elitist families are supreme everywhere. That's why they're called the elite. The 1% 'ers have to live somewhere... and they know all about hard work, from watching their gardeners and pool attendants on hot summer days. They made their money the old fashioned way - they inherited it!

Old 11-09-2010, 05:29 AM

65 posts, read 132,948 times
I usually don't care for the expression (maybe because it is overused) but the angst of seeing/thinking everyone is 'rich' and 'popular' is often merely because (here it comes!) 'No matter where you go, there YOU are.'

I have worked with students in that area, and I have worked with students out of that area. Most of them (students) are VERY well-adjusted, and don't seem to think/view themselves as rich- oh, yes, there are those families who go to France on Spring break (a friend of mine taught such a family) but that same family had a dad who waited eight years for a case to close, to ENABLE him to GIVE this to his family, for his HARD WORK.

Yes, home prices here are OFF THE CHARTS, and one does meet the older person who long ago, 'Achieved Edina,' so I know what you are talking about. But the fact that so many people with so much wealth have 'made it' in Minnesota- as Minnesotans, is a thing to cheer about. Now, if you want to talk SNOBS, let's talk about So Cal and East Coast folks? WHoooo, boy. Minnesota's top 5% have NOTHING in the ego dept., compared to those kids of New Yawkers, or Val Girls from the 'coastal cliques.'

Old 08-09-2011, 05:12 PM

1 posts, read 1,536 times
I grew up on Lake Minnetonka living in Minnetonka Beach! I went to ORONO my entire life and would NEVER trade that for ANYTHING!!! I am 43 now and living in your "real world" you wish you had....Believe me, you're going to WISH you stayed young and IN Wayzata forever!!!!

Old 08-02-2012, 10:48 AM

8 posts, read 19,087 times
Holy cow, there are an awful lot of generalizations in this thread. There are snobs everywhere, just as there are great, down-to-earth people everywhere.

gearedtowardssalad, really, you have that much hatred? Sounds like you need to roll a phatty and chill out.

Old 08-02-2012, 11:42 AM

252 posts, read 589,507 times
OP - this situation will not improve with age. Many people you will meet in your professional life will act the same way as those little rich kids you spoke of. Just a fair warning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota