Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 01:26 PM

558 posts, read 1,315,749 times

Advertisements

I know that the economy and population in the Iron Range area have been on the slide for that last few decades. Even the state demographers office has it still declining in their 2006 estimates. Is there any indication that the economy is turning around and people are moving back. I dont plan on moving there but Ive always been curious about that area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2007, 05:20 PM

130 posts, read 526,256 times
My mom and dad are from the Range area and to be honest there isnt much to offer there for work unless your a doctor or want to work in the mines.

Old 06-22-2007, 05:49 PM

Default Hibbing, MN and Iron Range economies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaysos View Post
I know that the economy and population in the Iron Range area have been on the slide for that last few decades. Even the state demographers office has it still declining in their 2006 estimates. Is there any indication that the economy is turning around and people are moving back. I dont plan on moving there but Ive always been curious about that area.

Im writting Hibbing, MN on my post so hopefully it will show up on the Hibbing forum.

Old 06-28-2007, 08:38 PM

Well, with the fact that the population went from 21,000 in 1980 to 16,500 today and hearing that the mining industry, which I believe is a major employeer in Hibbing was in decline, indicated that there is some kind of decline going on in the past decades, but may not necessarily be the case now. If this is not the case, could you please explain why there is such a dip? Is it just commercial activity thats expanding or is the basic sector also expanding?

Old 07-03-2007, 11:31 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,530,612 times
I know the economy on the Range has been hurting, and I do not claim to know how badly. The opening of a Lowe's however, does not indicate economic gorwth let alone sustainability. Lowe's and Walgreens will open when enough people are located in one place, weather it is Beverly Hills or Pine Ridge. An interested party would actually ask Northwest why they took millions in state dollars in the promise that they would create new jobs there, and turn around a few years later in bankruptcy and gave Doug Steeland "[a] salary, reported at $516,384 dollars ... a total compensation package of more than $26.6 million in stock. ...$5.8 million in stock options and $20.8 million worth of restricted stocks that will vest over the next four years....after a 1.4billion dollar cut in labor expenses" talk about economics

Old 07-04-2007, 12:41 PM

Yes, according to the U.S. census bureau, the population of Hibbing a few decades ago was over 21,000. The newest 2006 estimates put it at 16,200 now, which continues to indicate population decline. Estimates are estimates however. There are many towns that continue to lose populaiton, but get big box stores to open. Perhaps, it does indicate things are turning around though. I was just hoping someone more familiar with the area could give some insight, but Im glad to hear that the commercial sector of town is expanding.

Old 04-25-2012, 12:41 AM

11 posts, read 19,692 times
When you have a town that has only Wal-Mart and Lowes, smart people will move away from that area in search of higher paying jobs for a more decent way of living instead of irking out their existence making minimum wage from a corporation. The mines may be in decline, but family owned businesses that could offer a decent wage are dead, deader and dying. Take the simple idea that Hibbing could build it's own economy and not have to rely on a corporation, remember when it was that simple? It wasn't that long ago that family owned businesses made Hibbing and the Iron Range.

Old 04-25-2012, 08:41 AM

5,509 posts, read 11,818,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaysos View Post
Well, with the fact that the population went from 21,000 in 1980 to 16,500 today and hearing that the mining industry, which I believe is a major employeer in Hibbing was in decline, indicated that there is some kind of decline going on in the past decades, but may not necessarily be the case now. If this is not the case, could you please explain why there is such a dip? Is it just commercial activity thats expanding or is the basic sector also expanding?
Why was there a dip in economic activity in the Iron Range during the past several decades? Is that the question? If so, I believe the mass exodus of working class jobs (specifically in steel-intensive industries such as the Auto Industry) to foreign countries (who can produce cheaper) was the primary culprit.

Today, this region is seeing a bit of a reniassance as there has been a few MAJOR ($billion) projects either proposed, approved, or underway to create more efficient plants that can strip taconite from the scraps leftover from the previous era of mining. This is what I have heard, anyways.

Old 04-28-2012, 10:55 PM

434 posts, read 548,776 times
There isn't much going on anywhere in northern Minnesota.

Old 04-29-2012, 03:38 PM

5,833 posts, read 7,655,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElGringoLoco View Post
It wasn't that long ago that family owned businesses made Hibbing and the Iron Range.
Iron mining os what made the Iron Range. That's why it's called the Iron Range. Then, as the iron ore was depleted, it was taconite mining. As west336 points out, as new mining technology has been developed, mines that were once considered depleted can be mined a little more. But that's kind of the way it is in mining, whether it's gold in California, silver in Nevada, coal in Pennsylvania, copper in Michigan, or iron in Minnesota, eventually you see a decline in productivity. The thing is that these mines were never small, family owned businesses, but big operations. There might have been some smaller, owner-operated stores and things, but the wealth in which they traded came from the mines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota