Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 08:14 AM

9 posts, read 15,224 times

Advertisements

Lots of apartment buildings in Eden Prairie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2010, 08:32 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,739,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I saw the one place, with it's typical home price >400k and just shrugged. Basically, most people can't afford to live in these communities and it's not terribly shocking that higher income areas are going to have low(er) crime and given the incomes will likely be educated and put a value on education and so on and so forth. Do these places have any apartments or lower cost housing or is it all mostly suburban with higher home prices?

Two of the other high-ranking places (east coast I think) had average home prices of 800k-1million. Really, that's just super but frankly shouldn't cost of living factor into the rankings?
Actually, I'd say that's one of the benefits that these suburbs have over some others in both the metro area and in other cities; places like Eden Prairie appeal to people looking for upscale modern suburbia, but they do have some apartment buildings and some more affordable options for people who don't want to or can't buy the single family homes.

As far as the rest of the country, I used to live in an area where the median home price was $930k; what that didn't show was that there were also many very nice and much more affordable rentals. I agree that cost of living is a big issue, but high average home price doesn't necessarily mean out of reach for all but the wealthy.

All that said, I generally do agree with you, and think that these lists are pretty skewed towards favoring wealthier suburbs. There are some actual free-standing cities on there, but most of them seem to be part of bigger metro areas, where some of the benefits for these "cities" comes from the inevitable economic segregation that comes along with that.

I also think that lists like this leave out so many variables that it's essentially useless for anyone seeking to use it as a resource for actually considering relocating. Skimming the national list I see some places I like, some I don't; I would be miserable living in Eden Prairie, even if it is a safe place with good schools. Top quality of life indicators for me, personally, don't appear on this list -- sense of history, walkability, number of independent businesses, presence of a real downtown, etc. As a result, I'd absolutely hate living in some places (Eden Prairie, Woodbury, Eagan), while would love some of the others (Alexandria, VA), and could be happy in still others (mostly the free-standing towns or older inner-ring suburbs, and not the modern suburbs).

Old 07-13-2010, 10:05 AM

1,807 posts, read 3,095,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical_Car View Post
Kinda funny how you say this after your last post which talked about how this is all very, very subjective.
I know, exactly--- that's why I said "I still don't understand..." and "it seems pretty generic *to me*". What about that makes you think I was trying to express it objectively?

Old 07-13-2010, 10:31 AM

5,984 posts, read 13,417,021 times
Even the apartments in Eden Prairie are expensive. A studio goes for around $850 per month. I could get a house in Northfield for less than that, and be in a real town and not just generic suburbia.

Old 07-13-2010, 10:38 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,375,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwriter View Post
Even the apartments in Eden Prairie are expensive. A studio goes for around $850 per month. I could get a house in Northfield for less than that, and be in a real town and not just generic suburbia.
Does that really surprise you? If you wanted to you could get a house in International Falls and make house payments in the $350-400 range....but why would you want to? The place is in the middle of nowhere and it reaks like B.O. 24/7. In most circumstances there are good reasons housing prices are the way they are. Northfield is cheaper because it's 45 miles from DT Minneapolis. Meanwhile, Eden Prairie is only about 18 miles away, and it's pretty close to Lake Minnetonka in a popular and desirable part of town.

Old 07-13-2010, 11:29 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,089,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srsmn View Post
I grew up with many "sons-of" and "sons-of-the-sons-of" the Jewish exodus off of the Northside that would probably disagree with you
Maybe, and I didn't mean to imply that I didn't think some level of flight from the city happened, but I think such people are a fraction of the folks living in the suburbs in general.

Old 07-13-2010, 02:40 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,095,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Maybe, and I didn't mean to imply that I didn't think some level of flight from the city happened, but I think such people are a fraction of the folks living in the suburbs in general.
There might be something to be said for that....certainly, the "white flight" was not *as* big of a phenomenon here as in Chicago or Detroit, and the "rural flight" was definately a bigger phenomenon here than either of those two places....

Old 07-13-2010, 03:21 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,660,042 times
I think its kind of funny how on the CNN money link, there are alot of comments about Minnesota being too cold etc. from people around the country, as if Minnesota is the only place in the world that experiences Winter. Granted the temp does get cold here for a few months, with the mosture in the air out east it feels the same to me.
I say, let them keep thinking its too cold up here, it will keep us from being over run by sprawl like the sun belt.

Old 07-13-2010, 04:31 PM

1,178 posts, read 2,707,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota Spring View Post
I think its kind of funny how on the CNN money link, there are alot of comments about Minnesota being too cold etc. from people around the country, as if Minnesota is the only place in the world that experiences Winter. Granted the temp does get cold here for a few months, with the mosture in the air out east it feels the same to me.
I say, let them keep thinking its too cold up here, it will keep us from being over run by sprawl like the sun belt.
I know, it blows my mind. It's sad and actually embarassing for others...

Minnesota gets cold, yes. But it just gets a little colder in the winter months than other places... But summers are actually warmer than some places.

Ex. In California last summer, a pool guy came to clean the pool at the house we were staying at and he actually asked us "Does Minnesota even get summers?" and "Is it even possible to have inground pools in Minnesota?"

Ironically, the 2 week temps while I was in SoCal were 10 degrees COOLER than Minnneapolis...

Just a world full of idiots.

Old 07-13-2010, 05:33 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,660,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Cann View Post
I know, it blows my mind. It's sad and actually embarassing for others...

Minnesota gets cold, yes. But it just gets a little colder in the winter months than other places... But summers are actually warmer than some places.

Ex. In California last summer, a pool guy came to clean the pool at the house we were staying at and he actually asked us "Does Minnesota even get summers?" and "Is it even possible to have inground pools in Minnesota?"

Ironically, the 2 week temps while I was in SoCal were 10 degrees COOLER than Minnneapolis...

Just a world full of idiots.
To put it all into prospective, the 45th parallel is the halfway mark between the north pole and the equator. The 45th parallel runs along Broadway Street in Minneapolis, so the southern 1/3 of the state (anything south of Minneapolis, the part where I live) is actually closer to the equator than the north pole. So obviously we can't be the only place in the world that has Winter weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota