Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2010, 02:43 PM

2,105 posts, read 4,601,386 times

Advertisements

it causes me pause. Being in that special place near a lake in a city, or wilderness, is always special.

Hearing the call in the afternoon while reading a book, suddenly beautiful, expressions, or late at night near the dock, campfire, or in the tent. The mournful cry in the dark, followed by other calls from nearby, going on for several cries, ten fifteen minutes, such sound such a privilage.

I love hearing the loons call, to us its one of the most beautiful sounds to hear. Nothing can match it on a wilderness lake, late on a black, star filled night, its haunting echo through the stillness, then another and another.

This is special place, ten, maybe fifteen hours of distance seperates you from your pickup truck, the sky black as ink, covered with all the stars overhead.

In front of where you are, in the dark water swims past an beaver, perhaps muskrat, otter. The gentle lapping of the waves, the quietness of the night, when the smallest sound can be heard. Just sitting on some rock time enjoying what has been given us, this day, tomorrow, and back home.

No need for talking, seems much too loud, so we find ourselves whispering to each other, as if the slightest noise will be heard. It seems this lake in front of us has several pairs each on the shores, but seperate, calling in the still night, unseen voices following all ranges of tone, expression, and of life.

Too be a part of such things, timeless is special to us.

I hope to be always able to hear the loons call.
May it never go away in its seasons.

A reason I love Minnesota especially up north.

In a few short months, many of these loons will be flying into the Gulf Region, many will not survive, it causes me pause to give thanks with a gratefull heart, for what we have.

Last edited by demtion35; 07-14-2010 at 02:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2010, 03:53 PM

256 posts, read 664,583 times
To me there is nothing better than being able to hear the call of a loon and a wolf howling in the distance. I love it up north and being by the lake. I couldn't imagine living anywhere else in the summer time.
What you said about the loons going to the Gulf region made my heart sink. I hadn't even thought of that. Great post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota