U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2010, 07:54 AM

38 posts, read 91,167 times

Advertisements

I'm considering going to Bemidji State University, I sent in an application last week. Does anybody have any opinions on the town, as I have never been there before. The closest I have been is East Grand Forks, MN. I'm deciding between Bemidji and the university of North Dakota in Grand Forks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2010, 08:08 AM

20,793 posts, read 59,149,383 times
I love Bemidji and the surrounding area. The campus there is very pretty along the lake. It is a very small campus with some unique offerings. If you like to hunt and fish they have areas set up for you to clean your game even. Are you planning on attending this fall or for next fall? My son will be starting at Bemidji next month. He loves the small, small campus. The entire campus is connected through a tunnel system so you don't have to go outside in the cold.

Old 07-22-2010, 04:09 PM

38 posts, read 91,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
I love Bemidji and the surrounding area. The campus there is very pretty along the lake. It is a very small campus with some unique offerings. If you like to hunt and fish they have areas set up for you to clean your game even. Are you planning on attending this fall or for next fall? My son will be starting at Bemidji next month. He loves the small, small campus. The entire campus is connected through a tunnel system so you don't have to go outside in the cold.
I'm planning on attending in the spring of 2011. I do not hunt and fish much, but definitly want to learn how to. The only thing I'm nervous about is finding a part time job in town.

Old 07-22-2010, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vleno87 View Post
I'm planning on attending in the spring of 2011. I do not hunt and fish much, but definitly want to learn how to. The only thing I'm nervous about is finding a part time job in town.
There were a lot of jobs available, both work/study and regular jobs on campus when we visited last spring to sign up for classes this fall. There are quite a few stores and what not for jobs too (grocery stores, K-Mart, Target, Walmart, etc.).

Old 08-06-2010, 02:34 PM

256 posts, read 564,036 times
Bemidji State is a very nice campus, long but narrow, as it goes around the lake. Bemidji is a smaller town than Grand Forks, prettier with a lot of tourism. The campus is in town, downtown is south of the campus. You can walk from campus to downtown, but it might be a bit of a walk. Much of the new development is on the outskirts on the west of town.

The new development has more of a suburban feel, downtown is more of a quaint historic neighborhood. There's a good BBQ restuarant, I think it is called "Backyard BBQ".

Both schools have division I hockey. UND has moved all of their sports to the D-I level, while Bemidji has the rest of their sports at the D-II level. Don't know if that is important you you.

I like Diamond Point park, it juts out into the lake. It's a good place to relax between classes. And you're not far from Itasca State Park, the headwaters of the Mississippi River. A lot of people mistake it for a national park, it's that nice.

Old 08-07-2010, 11:17 AM

1,178 posts, read 2,601,366 times
Bemidji State University!

Welcome to the WCHA, the best college hockey conference in the US baby.

New Hockey Arena, and new conference. Get ready to enjoy the fruits of WCHA hockey! BSU is a decent school, in a decent town

Old 08-08-2010, 07:14 PM

2 posts, read 3,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vleno87 View Post
I'm considering going to Bemidji State University, I sent in an application last week. Does anybody have any opinions on the town, as I have never been there before. The closest I have been is East Grand Forks, MN. I'm deciding between Bemidji and the university of North Dakota in Grand Forks.
I grew up there and spent my first 3 yrs of college at BSU back in the early ninenties. It's OK. It's a small school, with some real small departments. I was a history major, and I think we had like 3 professors in the entire dept.
Bemidji is great area of you like outdoor things, hockey. My wife and I live in Duluth now, and I found Bemidji too small a town for myself. But, I think alot of people move out of their hometowns for the same reason-- I didn't have a choice growing up of where I was living. When we visit my parents who live on a nearby lake to the town, the town seems to be better than what it was-- not quite so backward, socially.

Old 08-10-2010, 04:54 PM

58 posts, read 131,684 times
i'm also considering moving to minnesota for school

i would love to get a job working in hockey in some way

any other input about the school would be welcome

Old 08-10-2010, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robcynd View Post
i'm also considering moving to minnesota for school

i would love to get a job working in hockey in some way

any other input about the school would be welcome
The school campus itself is very small. They are in the process of building a beautiful new hockey arena. What do you want to know? It is like any other university, some really good programs, some ok programs, some not so good programs. Bemidji is a smaller town, about 12,000 people. The campus sits pretty much in the middle of town. Students enjoy free bus service all over town. It gets very cold in Bemidji but the entire campus is connected by a tunnel system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota