Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 12:52 PM

1,178 posts, read 2,707,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Maybe you should listen to your own advice as these are totally contradicting .
Ha, yeah i guess that's what it looks like.. I guess I said that they need stop treating 17 and 18 yr olds like babies and that students need to stop seeing teachers and staff as bullies. As a student, I understood that. But, as an 18 yr old, I also didn't need some dweeb 40 yr old teacher tell me not to swear. Teach me some knowledge buddy, because telling me not to swear does nothing for your credibility as a teacher and isn't increasing my knowledge as a student.

Basically what I was trying to say is that students need to appreciate teachers and what they do, and so do teachers... and not get so worked up over the little things.

Seriously, some of the only things I remember from HS are situations like these, where I was belittled as a human being on many occasions by power tripping egotistical maniacs who are just glorified baby sitters. (see, i'm salty).

I had a teacher in HS that explained one time how students often have a hard time learning from him and his teaching style which he claimed was more 'college-like' and discussion and lecture type... After going to college I realized how great of a teacher he was, and looking back was hands-down the best teacher I ever had. And I don't remember him EVER talking down to students or students disrespecting him. And he taught with overheads in 12 point font, lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2010, 12:13 PM

507 posts, read 879,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Cann View Post
Ha, yeah i guess that's what it looks like.. I guess I said that they need stop treating 17 and 18 yr olds like babies and that students need to stop seeing teachers and staff as bullies. As a student, I understood that. But, as an 18 yr old, I also didn't need some dweeb 40 yr old teacher tell me not to swear. Teach me some knowledge buddy, because telling me not to swear does nothing for your credibility as a teacher and isn't increasing my knowledge as a student.

Basically what I was trying to say is that students need to appreciate teachers and what they do, and so do teachers... and not get so worked up over the little things.

Seriously, some of the only things I remember from HS are situations like these, where I was belittled as a human being on many occasions by power tripping egotistical maniacs who are just glorified baby sitters. (see, i'm salty).

I had a teacher in HS that explained one time how students often have a hard time learning from him and his teaching style which he claimed was more 'college-like' and discussion and lecture type... After going to college I realized how great of a teacher he was, and looking back was hands-down the best teacher I ever had. And I don't remember him EVER talking down to students or students disrespecting him. And he taught with overheads in 12 point font, lol
If you swear in school you ARE a child and a foolish, rude one at that.

You're not "salty" just plain uncouth.

Old 07-30-2010, 04:09 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,417,021 times
If I swear in front of my boss at work, I don't think he'd just let me go. I'd probably be looking for a new job. That's how the world works. Treat school like work: be professional and on your best behavior. It's really not that bad - you get out of it what you put into it.

Old 08-01-2010, 04:09 PM

1,178 posts, read 2,707,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCur View Post

Really?

Old 08-01-2010, 04:29 PM

Location: Moved to Gladstone, MO in June 2022 and back to Minnesota in September 2022
2,072 posts, read 5,064,137 times
Quote:

Nope not really, and this is coming from someone who just about never swears, and someone who has never swore in school before.

Old 08-01-2010, 08:30 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,089,277 times
Quote:
All I know is,fact certain, many people with degrees here are not educated to secondary school levels in Germany.
Yeah, but they can tell you the difference between PBR and Blatz while blindfolded, and some of them are beer bong Black Belts.

Old 11-09-2010, 05:46 AM

65 posts, read 133,524 times
Leaving aside the question of younger students (which really is a completely different topic altogether) I think the fact that there are so many ADULTS with degrees in this state is interesting, except for the fact that so many of them truly cannot THINK independently.

I mean, the consumerist culture, (Starbucks, Land's End, McMansions) and the lockstep ideological mentality that makes MN a 'blue state' consistently, (in everything, not just politics) hasn't changed much since the Communist Party set up HQ in MN, in the NE Labor quadrant (the mining industry) back in the 1920's, and the DFL (Democratic Farm/LABOR) party is the ideological successor to that early Bolshevism. This has been chronicled by many histories of the area, yet it took me 50 years to find out the truth, even as a native MN'an. While I would vote for a candidate with a platform like Kennedy's in 1960, such a 'liberal' platform today is looked on as 'reactionary.' Umm, who moved the boundaries of political discourse, 'ever to the left'?

But when I mention this little 'dirty secret' to people with 'advanced degrees' at summer gatherings, church picnics, or graduation parties on Lake Minnetonka, their liberal programming (at the U of M? Carleton? Gustavus? Macalaster? Luther Sem.?) kicks in, and you'd swear I'd said something against 'The Party', comrade... as if we were living in 1970's Russia, and not Minne-stroika!

Now, even saying this on this forum (I guarantee you!- just watch) will generate a lot of 'H8' from those who can't think right of Mao on any social/political issue, ever. Why? I'm merely mentioning nothing but facts and statistics, and yet, 'educated minds' just seem to be so dumb, when it comes to thinking independently. But that's a statistic, too. The more education (not necessarily, educated- which is another think altogether!) one receives in the USA today, the more LEFTIST one becomes.

So, is it Education, or propaganda? That's my eternal query.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
View detailed profiles of: