Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 08:17 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,303,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
The MVTA system doesn't pick up and bring you wherever you go; I'm assuming that's either a reference to MVTA's flex route services (which are restricted to only certain areas), or the former dial-a-ride options (Transit Link), which were changed in 2010. It certainly won't pick you up and drive you anywhere you want to go. You're expected to use regular buses where available, and given that areas like Rosemount aren't hubs of activity and don't have a large bus-going population (unless you're mostly using it to commute to a downtown Mpls job during traditional hours), the options are pretty limited, especially when compared to other parts of the metro.

Maybe Rosemount is the right place for you, but from a public transportation standpoint (especially if you want easy access to the entire metro area) it would be a poor choice. Now if you have a job out there or have family in the area, or don't want easy access to a broad area, then I suppose it could work.

If you prefer a suburban location then I'd suggest somewhere like Edina; there are a lot of senior buildings and complexes out near Southdale, and they have good transportation connections as well as a lot of things within walking distance.
YES IT DOES. You keep coming on here an contradicting this information and you are just WRONG. I see this service in action EVERY DAY!!! There is VERY easy access to the bus system and the light rail from Rosemount and considering YOU HAVE NEVER BEEN HERE it gets old listening to you say otherwise. The one 55+ community in Rosemount is 2 blocks from the bus stop through paved walking paths and a park-lovely walk as a matter of fact. That bus stop can connect you with ANYTHING in the metro area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2010, 09:35 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,734,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
YES IT DOES. You keep coming on here an contradicting this information and you are just WRONG. I see this service in action EVERY DAY!!! There is VERY easy access to the bus system and the light rail from Rosemount and considering YOU HAVE NEVER BEEN HERE it gets old listening to you say otherwise. The one 55+ community in Rosemount is 2 blocks from the bus stop through paved walking paths and a park-lovely walk as a matter of fact. That bus stop can connect you with ANYTHING in the metro area.
Have YOU taken it recently? I think you are mistaking access to bus service with EASY access to the metro area. Not all bus service is created equally. I have no doubt that the trail to the station is lovely, and that there are buses that stop there (I know there are, as I've looked at the schedules for buses to Rosemount), but that doesn't mean that one can easily live without a car, especially if one wants to take advantage of "anything" in the metro area.

Sure, buses can connect you with anywhere in the metro area, but the OP says she doesn't want to spend a huge amount of time getting from place to place. I think those who don't take public transportation on a regular basis have different understandings of what that means. Transfers often require a lot of time waiting around, and Rosemount is NOT central. I haven't yet been to Rosemount (have been around and near it, and those trips always involve transfers and a lot of waiting around, with even more hassles and fewer options on weekends), and part of the reason I've been procrastinating on doing so is because it is SUCH a pain in the neck to get out there! Buses have odd schedules, and it's easy to waste a lot of time just trying to get a relatively short distance. Again, perfectly fine if you're spending the majority of time in the immediate area, but this poster wants to take advantage of metro-wide amenities, including those offered at night. She's not going to be able to easily do that as a non-driver in Rosemount. It's not that Rosemount has NO public transportation, just that it seems a highly impractical option for this particular poster.

There was an article about MVTA in the Star Tribune that may also be of interest:
Getting seniors on board for transit | StarTribune.com

If I'm wrong and one really can use dial-a-ride like a taxi service than I'm willing to admit it, but you really need to provide some information on where we can verify that information for ourselves. You're making it sound like one can just call up like it's a taxi and bring you wherever you go; that's simply not true, or at least there's absolutely nothing on line that suggests it is true, and if it is then it's a very closely guarded secret. At least tell us what specific program you're talking about so that those of us who depend on public transportation can figure out where to look. I thought you were talking about Transit Link (http://www.metrocouncil.org/transportation/TransitLink/TransitLinkRiderGuideJan2010.pdf - broken link)or else Rosemount's flex service. And while Transit Link is indeed a wonderful service, I can't imagine why someone would actively choose, knowing that they were going to be transit-dependent, and not having any particular reason to choose Rosemount over any other place, to place themselves in a position where they'd be making life much more difficult for themselves than it needs to be. Transit Link rides need to be reserved in advance, they're shared with others, and the pickup time frame is quite large -- half an hour, to be exact. There's also very limited (or non-existent) evening hours, and limited (and in some cases, non-existent) weekend service. Many trips also aren't eligible, or involve a ride to a transit center to catch another bus or train, as they're not designed to replace existing bus service. And while there's nothing wrong with transfers necessarily, they really do eat up a lot of time. So yes, that does count as public transportation (which is why I have never said that Rosemount does not have any bus service; of COURSE it does, just limited, and not door-to-door-anywhere-in-the-metro-area, which is what you seem to be claiming.)

Some of the areas out there -- Apple Valley, for one, have really come a long way in providing decent public transportation connections, but it's still a long way from ideal for those of us who use public transportation as our primary means of getting around (during many hours of the day, and to many different places), and who want to easily access a broad swath of the metro area. It's just not designed for that. And that's understandable; it would be unrealistic to expect that it would. There are pros and cons to living in that part of the metro area, but, generally speaking, steller public transportation for those who use it for regular, non-commuting purposes is not one of them.

Last edited by uptown_urbanist; 07-30-2010 at 11:29 PM..

Old 07-30-2010, 11:02 PM

Or, if you were thinking of DARTS, this is why I said that it doesn't pick you up and drive you anywhere:

"Transit Link service through DARTS began May 3. Transit Link is dial-a-ride minibus service for the general public that must be reserved in advance. You may reserve a ride for any purpose, based on availability. Transit Link service is curb to curb, with limited assistance. It is intended to serve areas where regular transit route service is not available. Riders can transfer between service areas and between Transit Link and regular transit routes."

Again, none of this is to suggest that residents of Rosemount don't have access to public transportation, just that in this case it doesn't sound like it's what the OP wants. These options are better than nothing, but compared to areas of the metro with much better bus service (in terms of both number of routes, frequency of schedule, and convenience to a broad spectrum of locations), it's very difficult to make the case that Rosemount would be a practical first choice for a non-driver.

Old 07-31-2010, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Or, if you were thinking of DARTS, this is why I said that it doesn't pick you up and drive you anywhere:

"Transit Link service through DARTS began May 3. Transit Link is dial-a-ride minibus service for the general public that must be reserved in advance. You may reserve a ride for any purpose, based on availability. Transit Link service is curb to curb, with limited assistance. It is intended to serve areas where regular transit route service is not available. Riders can transfer between service areas and between Transit Link and regular transit routes."

Again, none of this is to suggest that residents of Rosemount don't have access to public transportation, just that in this case it doesn't sound like it's what the OP wants. These options are better than nothing, but compared to areas of the metro with much better bus service (in terms of both number of routes, frequency of schedule, and convenience to a broad spectrum of locations), it's very difficult to make the case that Rosemount would be a practical first choice for a non-driver.
I totally disagree-smaller towns are MUCH more friendly to those with disabilities. Everything one would need on a day to day basis is IN TOWN, more elaborate shopping is just minutes away-with a door to door bus service whether you choose to believe it or not. One can get to the grocery store, hardware store, coffee shop, church, football game, what ever very easily. If she wants to go to Minneapolis, door to door service to the light rail or any bus transit station if she chooses. As far as transfers go, what's the difference between having to transfer in Minneapolis or Apple Valley, it's still a transfer. I think our community sounds EXACTLY what the OP is looking for.

Old 07-31-2010, 07:05 AM

But the OP doesn't WANT a small town, she said something about taking advantage of the big city. Yes, she can get to all the basics of life in Rosemount, but she sounded like she wanted easy access to the whole metro area, and again, she also said something about not wanting to have to be home by dark. Getting to and from Rosemount from many other parts of the metro area, especially on weekends or at night, is not that easy. Given that she wants access to the amenities of the bigger city, she might as well live somewhere where she can easily acess all of that. (and she can live in the heart of the city and get everything she wants, too; besides, Rosemount is not a small town.)

And I'm not trying to be difficult here, just trying to clarify for both myself and for any potential fellow transit-users; could you tell us where we can information about the door-to-door bus service (other than the Transit Link/DARTS option, which, as noted, has many restrictions) so that we can use it?

The difference between a transfer in Apple Valley and a transfer in Minneapolis is that usually (unless one is going to a small number of places) the transfer is not JUST in Apple Valley; it's a transfer in Apple Valley, and then another transfer elsewhere. Start to add in two, maybe even three, transfers and it starts to become a very long travel day.

Old 07-31-2010, 07:16 AM

Quote:
But the OP doesn't WANT a small town, she said something about taking advantage of the big city. Yes, she can get to all the basics of life in Rosemount, but she sounded like she wanted easy access to the whole metro area, and again, she also said something about not wanting to have to be home by dark. Getting to and from Rosemount from many other parts of the metro area, especially on weekends or at night, is not that easy. Given that she wants access to the amenities of the bigger city, she might as well live somewhere where she can easily acess all of that. (and she can live in the heart of the city and get everything she wants, too; besides, Rosemount is not a small town.)

And I'm not trying to be difficult here, just trying to clarify for both myself and for any potential fellow transit-users; could you tell us where we can information about the door-to-door bus service (other than the Transit Link/DARTS option, which, as noted, has many restrictions) so that we can use it?

The difference between a transfer in Apple Valley and a transfer in Minneapolis is that usually (unless one is going to a small number of places) the transfer is not JUST in Apple Valley; it's a transfer in Apple Valley, and then another transfer elsewhere. Start to add in two, maybe even three, transfers and it starts to become a very long travel day.
Call them and ask. I see these buses all over town, picking people up, taking them to the grocery store, to Apple Valley to shop, etc. There are also DARTS buses, which the OP would qualify for as well. You are being difficult because you can't imagine that someplace other than Minneapolis would provide car free living. The OP could also live in any number of townhomes here in town and not even need a bus to take her anywhere but since she prefers an adult community I gave her information on those. Also, it isn't like she would need to go to Minneapolis every day so what is the big deal? Again, she said she wanted amenities-we have everything here you could need, why is that so hard for you to understand?

Old 07-31-2010, 07:51 AM

Anyone interested in using DARTS would be wise to check out the Transit Link/DARTS bus website; it's not that easy. Transportation Services for Seniors and Others (http://www.darts1.org/trans.htm - broken link) (and if you also mean DARTS-provided Metro Mobility, I doubt she's able to qualify for that, as non-drivers able to use regular public transportation options are expected to use that)

I am not being difficult, I am simply trying to provide the perspective of someone who uses public transportation as my main means of getting around. Seeing buses is not the same as using them. And while I'm sure Rosemount is a perfect choice for many people, anyone who is transit-dependent and specifically wants to have easy access to the amenities of the "big city" is probably not going to be happy living there. To me, anyway, that means she doesn't just want the basics. If she wants big city amenities, then why not just live in a safe adult community in the big city? If she wanted a quieter suburban/"small town" area then sure, maybe Rosemount is perfect.

Obviously she (and any other potential relocating person) will want to check things out for themselves. But, based on her description, I just can't imagine how Rosemount could possibly come up high on the list. That's not a Minneapolis bias, just a public transportation bias. There are certainly other suburbs that have more extensive public transportation options as well. It's like telling someone who wants a three-car garage and a half-acre lot that they should focus their search on the city of Minneapolis. Sure, it CAN be done, but it wouldn't be the easiest option.

In any case, anyone wanting to test the waters and figure out a location based on public transportation (or for any other reason) needs to check it out for themselves, since obviously opinions vary. Tour some buildings, walk around the neighborhood, check out the bus schedules, take some rides. What works for one person won't work for another.

Last edited by uptown_urbanist; 07-31-2010 at 08:14 AM..

Old 07-31-2010, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Anyone interested in using DARTS would be wise to check out the Transit Link/DARTS bus website; it's not that easy. Transportation Services for Seniors and Others (http://www.darts1.org/trans.htm - broken link) (and if you also mean DARTS-provided Metro Mobility, I doubt she's able to qualify for that, as non-drivers able to use regular public transportation options are expected to use that)

I am not being difficult, I am simply trying to provide the perspective of someone who uses public transportation as my main means of getting around. Seeing buses is not the same as using them. And while I'm sure Rosemount is a perfect choice for many people, anyone who is transit-dependent and specifically wants to have easy access to the amenities of the "big city" is probably not going to be happy living there. To me, anyway, that means she doesn't just want the basics. If she wants big city amenities, then why not just live in a safe adult community in the big city? If she wanted a quieter suburban/"small town" area then sure, maybe Rosemount is perfect.

Obviously she (and any other potential relocating person) will want to check things out for themselves. But, based on her description, I just can't imagine how Rosemount could possibly come up high on the list. That's not a Minneapolis bias, just a public transportation bias. There are certainly other suburbs that have more extensive public transportation options as well. It's like telling someone who wants a three-car garage and a half-acre lot that they should focus their search on the city of Minneapolis. Sure, it CAN be done, but it wouldn't be the easiest option.
Take a day, come to Rosemount, see what is here, see how compact the town is, see what is here, watch the MVTA buses pick people up and take them places, watch people walk to the grocery store, coffee shops, kids ride their bikes to school, to the parks, to friends house and THEN tell me you can't live her without a car. Sure if you want to spend every day walking in downtown Minneapolis, no, living here isn't a good option, but wanting a place where you have EASY access to the grocery store, Target, a couple coffee shops or restaurants, Rosemount and a whole host of other suburbs are just fine-and safe. Just don't come this morning because the town is shut down for the community parade but heck, walk over to Central Park later for music and other festivities at the amphitheater and park. The whole town will be there.

Old 07-31-2010, 08:23 AM

9 posts, read 9,842 times
Kenwood Isles is exactly what I will be looking for.

Old 07-31-2010, 11:15 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,371,609 times
I looked at that Transit Link curb-to-curb service that serves Dakota County and it is extremely limited. It only offers service on weekdays from 6am-7pm (no weekends) and you have to call a week in advance....this hardly seems practical. There are busstops in Minneapolis where buses stop every few minutes from very early in the morning until 1AM 7 days a week. I'd call public transportation in Rosemount and other similar exurbs shoddy at best.

The OP is making a much more practical choice by looking into the Kenwood area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota