Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 10:56 AM

2,105 posts, read 4,600,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota Spring View Post
How far north do you have to go to be in "bear territory". I've lived in Minnesota for 30 years and have never seen a bear other than at the zoo.

Den Cam Updates (http://www.bear.org/website/lily-a-hope/live-den-cam.html - broken link)

http://www.bear.org/website/lily-a-hope/den-cam-video-clips.html (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2010, 12:02 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,677,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srsmn View Post
Sorry....I was being cynical: *I* don't care about hunting.

But, to each his own....
Yea... probably shouldn't have asked that in Minnesota... Hunting is in Minnesota culture just like hockey, our accents and hotdishes. The hunting society is a trademark left over from our ancestors of Germany, Finland, Sweden and Norway.

Plus, the MN DNR is incredible. they do such great things in preserving the nature of our state

Old 09-02-2010, 12:05 PM

Quote:
How far north do you have to go to be in "bear territory". I've lived in Minnesota for 30 years and have never seen a bear other than at the zoo.
I saw a bear the first week I lived in Duluth. Just sittin' there on the side of the road. Camping a few years back our campsite was raveged by a Black Bear. They're little cutie patooties though.

Old 09-02-2010, 12:39 PM

2,105 posts, read 4,600,736 times
I believe it was just a few months ago when out on Grand around the US bank that a black bear was tree'd and as it was getting down it ran across the street toward the hill and the trees. It made the local news

Also maybe 5 or 6 years ago?? down on the lake walk out toward the ped bridge near London Rd. unfortunatley a black bear was spotted and cornered on the rocks down near the water, and needed for public protection and the fact that the authorities claimed there was not available/or not enough time to wait for tranqulizer gun to show up, the bear was shot dead.

Old 09-02-2010, 01:06 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,659,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving123456 View Post
I saw one near North Branch before. That is the farthest south that I have ever seen one.
I'm kind of embarassed to admit it, but St. Cloud is the furtherst north in Minnesota that I have ever been which is about the same latitude as North Branch I suppose.

Old 09-02-2010, 01:11 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,659,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyageur View Post

I lived in the Woodland neighborhood of Duluth for all of eight months and saw a black bear in our yard three different times in that short time.

But they do find their way south to the Cities now and then:
Black Bear Sighting in Oakdale (http://www.myfoxtwincities.com/dpp/news/minnesota/black-bear-sighting-oakdale-apr-13-2010 - broken link)

Or even further south:
Black bear seen roaming northern Iowa

We had a moose spotted here in SW Minnesota once a few years ago. It had to be put down though as it had some kind of brain wasting disease, which I assume would be why it was this far south.

Old 09-02-2010, 02:33 PM

1,635 posts, read 2,657,093 times
Quote:
We had a moose spotted here in SW Minnesota once a few years ago. It had to be put down though as it had some kind of brain wasting disease, which I assume would be why it was this far south.
Goes for just about anybody around there...

Old 09-02-2010, 02:39 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,095,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
Yea... probably shouldn't have asked that in Minnesota... Hunting is in Minnesota culture just like hockey, our accents and hotdishes. The hunting society is a trademark left over from our ancestors of Germany, Finland, Sweden and Norway.

Plus, the MN DNR is incredible. they do such great things in preserving the nature of our state
Having a dad who was a transplant from Illinois and a mom from Southern MN where hunting isn't really that big of a deal sort of gave me a built-in immunity to the hunting itch....

I'll take baseball, hiking, and any of a number of things you can do on a lake as my Minnesota pastimes instead...

Oh, and the DNR is incredible!

Old 09-02-2010, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srsmn View Post
Having a dad who was a transplant from Illinois and a mom from Southern MN where hunting isn't really that big of a deal sort of gave me a built-in immunity to the hunting itch....

I'll take baseball, hiking, and any of a number of things you can do on a lake as my Minnesota pastimes instead...

Oh, and the DNR is incredible!
I think with all the Corn, Illinois has some of the biggest bucks around for deer hunting, but like you said, to each their own.

Old 09-08-2010, 05:33 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,600,888 times
Ghenghis many of the collared research bears also have brightly colored ribbons made of duct tape.

Sadly, one was killed over the weekend - a yearling. The Wildlife Research Institute researchers feel it would have been hard to miss those ribbons. The collar was turned in anonymously (left in the DNR mailbox, in fact). It's very, very sad because the WRI only has 13 research bears and has been studying this clan for a long time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota