Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 12:35 PM

765 posts, read 2,128,922 times

Advertisements

Sure, the plot of the movie is about a kidnapping gone wrong, but the movie is just as much a commentary on Minnesotan culture as it is an interesting story. How accurate do you think is the portrayal of Minnesotan culture as polite, trusting, reserved, and perhaps repressed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2011, 12:45 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,054,423 times
You've missed the point of the movie completely. The Coens were displaying us as the stupid, coniving, mean-spirited, phillandering, out-doorsey, criminally-bent, homicidal, pancake-eating, IDS-Tower-loving, nut jobs that we are.

Old 09-28-2011, 12:50 PM

927 posts, read 2,466,566 times
Agreed with Ghengis. Whenever I watch the movie, I feel like the Coens are mildly making fun of their home state.

The real life event was in Ohio, not MN... they picked to location and time of year for a reason.

Old 09-28-2011, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyoma02 View Post
Agreed with Ghengis. Whenever I watch the movie, I feel like the Coens are mildly making fun of their home state.

The real life event was in Ohio, not MN... they picked to location and time of year for a reason.
Actually, sorry to burst your bubble but there was no real life event. They made up the whole story, and just put the "this is a true story" prelude to mess with people. And the two kidnappers were actually not from MN, so whatever they did would not be a remark on Minnesota culture.

Old 09-28-2011, 02:39 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,054,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGuyFromCleveland18 View Post
Actually, sorry to burst your bubble but there was no real life event. They made up the whole story, and just put the "this is a true story" prelude to mess with people. And the two kidnappers were actually not from MN, so whatever they did would not be a remark on Minnesota culture.
wrong about the made up part as the Coens' state in the special ed DVD that it was base on this 1986 murder...

Helle Crafts - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

and just where would you suppose Gaear Grimsrud might be from if not Minnesota as it clearly seems to be he knows his way around the business end of a wood-chipper like any true Minnesotan would.

Old 09-28-2011, 02:50 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,497,759 times
i havent seen the movie fargo but when larry the cable guy came to Ely for a episode of Only in America (History Channel) He gave a good job on showing the viewer of the show of the cultures on a Northern Minnesotan. His main idea is that we are loving fun people who can have a good time outdoors in any condition.

Old 09-28-2011, 03:26 PM

927 posts, read 2,466,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGuyFromCleveland18 View Post
What are you talking about?

The Coen brothers claim that many of the events that take place in the movie were actually based on true events from other cases that they threw together to make one story.

The Coens claim the actual murders took place, but not in Minnesota. The main reason for the film's setting is the fact that the Coens were born and raised in St. Louis Park, a suburb of Minneapolis.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fargo_(film)

Old 09-28-2011, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
wrong about the made up part as the Coens' state in the special ed DVD that it was base on this 1986 murder...

Helle Crafts - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

and just where would you suppose Gaear Grimsrud might be from if not Minnesota as it clearly seems to be he knows his way around the business end of a wood-chipper like any true Minnesotan would.
The murder with a woodchipper was based off of something that happened, but the car dealer, wife kidnapping, $million ransom, and Margie the police woman were all made up. And Gaear Grimsrud is clearly Swedish (the name is a dead giveaway).

Old 09-28-2011, 07:21 PM

137 posts, read 611,965 times
I'm a transplant to Minnesota from Illinois, but I've been here for almost twelve years. I can honestly tell you that some actors did an awesome job, although over done, at the Minnesota accent. Frances McDermott had the rhythmic pattern and inflection perfect. Even though I've only lived in Minnesota for a little more than a decade, I've lived in both the metro and outstate. The accent is very strong in northwestern Minnesota-- and actually quite adorable!

Some actors in the movie, the characters of Norm and the cop who got shot, didn't nail it as well. They sound more German rather than Minnesotan.

People talk differently throughout the US. Heck, people still claim I have an Illinois (downstate) accent. Nothing wrong with that! Minnesotans should celebrate their accent. We all have accents based on where we live. Don't ridicule this movie; I think it is something to be proud of!

Old 09-29-2011, 07:18 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,657,093 times
"Fargo" is to Minnesota what "Jersey Shore" is to New Jersey. As in, maybe a little truth woven into a ridiculous story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota