Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is your daily driver equipped with a remote starter?
Yes, it is, and I use it. 4 11.43%
Yes, it is, but I don't use it. 1 2.86%
No, I have a heated garage. 5 14.29%
No, and I don't have a heated garage. 25 71.43%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 05:41 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times

Advertisements

We don't have a heat system in our garage but it is well insulated and never gets below 40 degrees in there which is really nice. Back in our apartment renting days we didn't have a garage and it sure would have been nice having a remote starter. If you have one, just be careful, we had some friends that had one and their young son was playing with the keys and started their car that was parked in their garage. Fortunately no one got hurt/sick but it could have been bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2010, 09:21 AM

4,361 posts, read 6,528,616 times
No remote starter and Garage is not heated but has never let me down. I do however have heated seats now. Nice benefit before that engine can begin to pump some warm air.

Hey that reminds me, I have to make room in the garage to park again before the snow flys..

Old 09-20-2010, 12:11 PM

761 posts, read 3,414,477 times
We dont have auto starts, have a heated a garage but never use it. The garage stays ~40 all winter anyway due to insulation. I like to get "woken up" by the cold of starting a cold car anyway..

Old 09-23-2010, 03:51 PM

256 posts, read 585,873 times
No remote start. I park my car on the street. A remote start wouldn't keep me from scraping my car off, but would put an end to those really cole minutes before the heat kicks in.

Old 09-23-2010, 05:43 PM

4,818 posts, read 10,998,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumIguana View Post
No remote start. I park my car on the street. A remote start wouldn't keep me from scraping my car off, but would put an end to those really cole minutes before the heat kicks in.
Not necessarily....I know most of us at my work who have to park outside start their car about 20 min before leaving....giving it plenty of time. If you have a remote starter you can do this and leave the car locked if security is an issue.

Old 09-25-2010, 05:46 AM

64 posts, read 223,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
I hope you are not like many other drivers who do that------poking along as they try to peer thru a windshield that is fogging up.
ha ha ha! nope. I have found that if you wait untill the needle just starts to move off the "cold" and crack a window a few inches you dont get a fogged up windshield. Again, the needle is starting to come off "cold" wthin just a few inutes.

Old 09-25-2010, 10:44 AM

9 posts, read 17,005 times
Hi everyone, Just moved here and reading about heated garages....ours is not heated, should it be? I do have a remote starter. Have not experienced the MN winters...have read about people bringing their car batteries indoors?

Old 09-25-2010, 03:19 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,870,451 times
No, and even if I didn't have a heated garage I don't see the huge benefit of it. I get that it warms up the car for you before you get in, but I live in a high-rise right now and to even get the thing started I'd have to be downstairs and closes to the car anyways, and at that point I'd just rather get in and bear the coldness for 1 minute. If it was costly I'd probably never get one either....I rarely find my car so cold that I can't stand it.

Old 09-25-2010, 10:34 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,074,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by embee5629 View Post
Hi everyone, Just moved here and reading about heated garages....ours is not heated, should it be? I do have a remote starter. Have not experienced the MN winters...have read about people bringing their car batteries indoors?
Most unheated garages are fine, and they provide shelter for the car as well as an area for engine heat to warm the air. If you drive on a daily basis, you'll see a difference even with an uninsulated garage, I suspect.

My parents have an unheated attached garage, and we had an unheated detached garage in our Eden Prairie townhome. The only place I've had a heated garage was in the apartment complex I lived in for many years, and that was a very nice perk but not really a necessity.

Old 09-26-2010, 06:16 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by embee5629 View Post
Unless you do work in your garage you don't need a heated garage. If you have an attached garage it is most likely insulated and having an insulated garage door is a big bonus. Like I said in my previous post, our garage doesn't get below 40 degrees (insulated, not heated) even in the coldest weather and that is plenty warm for an easy start with the car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota