Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 08:34 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,240,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxx99 View Post
We understand, K-Luv. I spent a couple years in California (southern) on my journey to finally "settling" in Minnesota. I remember that while I was there, I hated how everyone chose to live 1 hour away from work (you would never consider living walking distance from places you needed to go). I couldn't understand how people were somehow OK with residing under the smog line... coming from a weekend in Mt. Baldy back down to LA where could see the smog hanging there under 3,000 feet, your stomach became sick that you actually lived in that air. I also recall how virtually nobody gave a dang about anything having to do with their city or state - they were just there having fun... let those political types run the show.

Now that I've been away for a while, my most vivid memories are the good ones. Bike rides on the beach in January. Being able to find a world-class restaurant within a few blocks of wherever you were. Bumping into Tom Hanks or Jerry Sienfeld at the store.

Every place is good and bad... glad to hear that somewhere in there, you might actually have a "nice list" for Minnesota.

And hey - the Bundt cake provided a living for many families and probably put many dozens of kids through college! Glad we have it in our state!
Well, that's SoCal for ya. For reasons which I don't think anyone knows, the coffee shop that you frequent just happens to be all the way across town, while the bar/club that you go to is all the way across town in the opposite direction, and your best friend lives two towns over while your favorite beach is three hours up the coast. It makes no sense, but that is just how it is.

I hear ya on the smog. I don't remember it being anything when I lived there 20+ years ago, but now I can't stand to be in it for more then three days. Once, while back visiting during a January, my mom commented on how overcast the sky was. I calmly had to remind her that overcast is grey, not brown

And, just so you know, Californians will give Texans a run for the money in the most fiercely loyal to their state. It is more prevalent in Nor Cal, though. Californians tend to think of themselves as Californians first, Americans second. Don't get me wrong, they understand that they are a part of the United States, but to them the United States means the west coast, Texas, New York and maybe Florida. As stated before, I have lived in MPLS for the last ten years and I still have a California state flag hanging in my bed room, as well as I start a sentence with "back in California..." on almost a daily basis.

I'm straying off topic...

Yes, I do love it here, deep within my core. I have found oppertunities here that I would never have dreamed possible back home in the Mother Land.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2007, 05:00 PM

865 posts, read 2,501,949 times
Default MN does have four seasons!

On the Portland, Seattle, Minneapolis comparo... The earlier post that said MN only has two seasons is nuts. The falls are gorgeous and the late spring thunderstorms a blast. Having lived in Portland all my adult life (after college in MN), I can honestly say Portland/Seattle is the true land of two seasons. Yes the summers are great - regularly into the 90's and low humidity, but there is no spring or fall - just one long gray dreary winter. It never gets quite cold enough to have snow for any extended period. If you like sunshine you'll definitely miss it; not a place for someone with SAD! Yes it's cold in MN in the winter, but at least the sun comes out fairly regularly to give you some cold crisp days. It's true Portland and Seattle probably offer more outdoor activities close by than anywhere else, but it's hard to get motivated to be out to enjoy it when it's so 'darn' gray and dreary.

Please keep in mind that this is coming someone who grew up in MT and AK, so I love the snow. Personally, I dream of living in Duluth!

Old 08-02-2007, 09:37 PM

184 posts, read 1,019,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roneb View Post
On the Portland, Seattle, Minneapolis comparo... The earlier post that said MN only has two seasons is nuts. The falls are gorgeous and the late spring thunderstorms a blast. Having lived in Portland all my adult life (after college in MN), I can honestly say Portland/Seattle is the true land of two seasons. Yes the summers are great - regularly into the 90's and low humidity, but there is no spring or fall - just one long gray dreary winter. It never gets quite cold enough to have snow for any extended period. If you like sunshine you'll definitely miss it; not a place for someone with SAD! Yes it's cold in MN in the winter, but at least the sun comes out fairly regularly to give you some cold crisp days. It's true Portland and Seattle probably offer more outdoor activities close by than anywhere else, but it's hard to get motivated to be out to enjoy it when it's so 'darn' gray and dreary.

Please keep in mind that this is coming someone who grew up in MT and AK, so I love the snow. Personally, I dream of living in Duluth!
Dont' forget about Portland's famous ice storms. At least we can shovel our snow. In Portland, you wait for 2 days for the ice to melt off all the streets.

Old 08-04-2007, 02:27 AM

1 posts, read 1,831 times
I wanna live in Minnesota when I'll be older. Live in Czech republic now. It's not too bad, but I wanna live out of there. Don't like this area much. Minnesota is the best choice for me. I love winters and summers are great in Minneapolis. Minneapolis is the best for families I think. I don't wanna have children who is growing up somewhere in LA crime and mexican population. Minneapolis - low crime, nice area for children... But now I'm only 15 now. When I'll done gymnasium, will work and study there. I'll try it with Green Card Lottery...

Old 08-07-2007, 08:38 AM

75 posts, read 477,105 times
Default Seattle???

Only move to Seattle if you like your car. You will spend a lot of time in traffic here.

Throw away your sunglasses - don't need 'em.

Sell your tennis shoes and any sports equipment you have. People hibernate here in the winter. And there are no indoor activities around.

Housing prices are ridiculous so make sure you make a lot of money.

Stay in Minneapolis or go to Portland. I wouldn't send my worst enemy to Seattle.

Old 09-05-2007, 11:02 AM

143 posts, read 456,846 times
I LOVE Minnesota and wouldn't dream of living anywhere else, although I have...briefly.

The weather here suits me just fine. Well, the summers are starting to have a few too many 'hot' days but, I'll adjust. Besides, complaining about the weather is one of our favorite pastimes.

Experiencing autumn in MN definitely makes having to go through winter worth it.
I'm not really an outdoorsy person so I don't appreciate all aspects of life in MN as much as some people but, I can't honestly say that I think having to stay indoors with the heat on in the winter is any worse than living somewhere you have to stay indoors with the AC on during the summer. Personally, I like living where I can put on enough clothes to stay warm instead of a place where I can't take off enough clothes to get cool. Well, and still go out in public anyway.

Minnesota Nice does exist but, be realistic in your expectation of what that is. If you stop us on the street and ask directions, we'll answer. If we don't know, we'll probably try and find someone that does. If we're headed that way, we'll ask you to follow us.
Our store clerks are generally pleasant and helpful but, you can probably ask anyone else shopping in the store and get help also.
Someone will probably engage you in conversation standing in line at the store too.
If you need a hand doing something and you ask, we'll more than likely try to help.

But, many of us are still hung up with long held Scandinavian traditions and upbringing. Meaning that, although we socialize at work or in other group settings, chances are we won't invite you home for dinner. Usually, in-home visits are limited to very old/close friends and family.

Most of MN is very community oriented and really care about their kids. Our high school sports events are easily as well attended and with as much enthusiasm as any major league game.

I love having 4 very distinct seasons. Each one has it's own unique beauty and I'd surely miss not having all of them.
There's so much here that we just take for granted cuz it's our 'normal'. I have one friend that visits from CA every year, mostly to see TREES. And hopefully, catch a thunderstorm.
And of course, you can't forget the aurora borealis...our own private lightshow.

I love that Minnesotans are environmentally conscious but, also practical in the way we manage things. Yes, it's great to protect the environment but, there are ways to do that and still allow people to make a living.

I love the quality of life we have here and the access to quality health care. We've been innovative in so many aspects of that and other cutting edge things.
And yeah, we pay more taxes than a lot of places but, we also enjoy the benefits that brings in community services.

I don't think there's many states that offer the variety of living experiences that MN does. You can go from high tech and cultural to small town or country living with ease.
And mostly, I love our wide open spaces...having elbow room.

Old 09-07-2007, 10:14 PM

26 posts, read 87,234 times
I really enjoyed reading this post from Auntie Bob. Nicely done!
We moved from Nothern CA and I have to admit it hasn't been easy settling here, I have to agree that education and healthcare are the BEST!
The school my son goes to is ten times better than many private schools in CA. I truly believe it will make huge differnce in his life. I couldn't find any decent doctor in CA that would see new patients, all of them were booked. And if you find one the most you get out of them would be one-two minutes of their time after waiting for an hour in the lobby.
Here almost any doctor I need to see is availble and I do have choices and they actually sit down and TALK to you and act like they care about you and your health. CA is going to become part of Mexico in a few years, just like good old times. MN is still part of USA, I like that too.

Old 09-07-2007, 10:28 PM

143 posts, read 456,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex1lake View Post
I really enjoyed reading this post from Auntie Bob. Nicely done!
We moved from Nothern CA and I have to admit it hasn't been easy settling here, .
Thank you. Glad you enjoyed it. Yeah, we are pretty proud of our schools. We're grousing now cuz the funding keeps getting cut but, We'll hold our own against anywhere else just the same.

BTW, here a trick for fitting in. Ya gotta fib a little. You have to tell folks that your Great Uncle, Ole Johanson was from the area. That way, you'll 'belong'

OK...I just made that up but...it might work, ya never know.

Last edited by Auntie Bob; 09-07-2007 at 10:47 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota