U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2010, 02:25 PM

481 posts, read 1,737,153 times

Advertisements

Alright, this is going to be a bit cruel...

Imagine your boss has you attend a business conference in some city in Minnesota, and when you hear where it is you groan a bit on the inside because you know you'll be bored stiff. What would that city be?

The city will be required to have adequate transportation access, a hotel, and some place to have a modern business conference (probably the hotel, but it could be a country club or some other venue - anything short of a pole barn).

The drive up to the city would be flat out boring with nothing to see of significance. Once the conference is over you retire to a restaurant that is only adequate, and after eating you head to your hotel room to either sleep or watch cable TV or both, because there is nothing to see locally.

The city must have at least the potential to have developed into something pleasant and interesting, but due to apathetic city administration (or stingy voters) have so far squandered their opportunities.

Preferably it should be a city that you have visited, and it can't be some remote place with one stop light, a gas station, and maybe 100 people tops. It has to be someplace with at least a couple thousand (or more) people, and it should be a city most people have at least heard of. Would it be North Mankato? Faribult? Albert Lea? Marshall? Thief River Falls? Somewhere else?

(I got interested in this because I was reading an article somewhere that mentioned Podunk, Minnesota and I got curious about where that would be).
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2010, 03:47 PM

5,988 posts, read 12,643,397 times
Moorhead or St. Cloud. Probably Moorhead, because it's more isolated and on the Great Plains (I like the Plains, but most don't). East Grand Forks is another candidate.

Certainly not Mankato.

Old 10-24-2010, 10:47 PM

4,818 posts, read 10,365,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
Moorhead or St. Cloud. Probably Moorhead, because it's more isolated and on the Great Plains (I like the Plains, but most don't). East Grand Forks is another candidate.

Certainly not Mankato.
For northwest Minnesota my pick would be Crookston. Moorhead right next door to Fargo so certainly not lacking in things to do. St Cloud not flat and too much going on. EGF is where I live....but no hotels here and right across the river from Grand Forks which has stuff going on too.

Crookston would fit because it is very flat either side of the city as it is in the red river valley and it does have a couple motels there....one large enough for meetings (Northland I think the name is called) but yet far enough away from any larger city and not big enough to offer much in the exciting after hours stuff.

I am not knocking Crookston at all...as I like the place and it is home to Univ of Minn - Crookston. It is a clean place and does have an active downtown still.

Old 10-25-2010, 12:20 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,452,339 times
Worthington in the south or Thief River Falls up north I suppose. Roseau or Hibbing would be a heck of a drive up north as well.

Old 10-26-2010, 08:42 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,450,932 times
I was traveling through Long Island a few weeks ago and saw an exit sign for Hicksville...

Old 10-26-2010, 08:46 AM

20,793 posts, read 58,351,819 times
To me Podunk wouldn't have conference facilities or a hotel. They would be towns like Goodridge or Nimrod that are literally out in the middle of nowhere.

Old 10-26-2010, 08:54 AM

10,244 posts, read 15,008,224 times
Going by your description I'd say St. Cloud, Rochester and Mankato.

Old 10-26-2010, 05:57 PM

I can't speak for St. Cloud and Rochester, but Mankato has plenty of things to see and do. There's the University, Minneopa State Park, the Sakatah Trail, miles of Minnesota River Valley and prairie nature trails, waterfalls, cliffs, forest, grassland. The downtown area has plenty of interesting bars and restaurants. Lakes are just 10 minutes to the east.

Old 10-26-2010, 06:40 PM

10,244 posts, read 15,008,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
I can't speak for St. Cloud and Rochester, but Mankato has plenty of things to see and do. There's the University, Minneopa State Park, the Sakatah Trail, miles of Minnesota River Valley and prairie nature trails, waterfalls, cliffs, forest, grassland. The downtown area has plenty of interesting bars and restaurants. Lakes are just 10 minutes to the east.
After fully absorbing the tourism summary of Mankato I stand by my previous statement. If I was sent there for business the most difficult decision after my work day would be if I want to go to a slummy college bar to play Big Buck Hunter, go check out some grassland or see what movie channels my hotel room has.

They have a nice river going right through a historic downtown and what do they do? They occupy the space with a crappy railyard and 15 foot high stone walls....it's such a damn waste, where is the riverbank park and accompanying amenities? Also, when I talk to people from Mankato their argument for why shopping is great there is they have a mall near a bunch of big boxes and chains that you can find pretty much anywhere else. Wow, what a destination. Whoa, HBO in my hotel room? This may not be a bad business trip after all!

Old 10-26-2010, 06:49 PM

The retaining wall is there to protect against flooding. The only reason Kato didn't flood like Owatonna and Amboy is the retaining wall. If they removed it, downtown would be underwater. The railyard can't be relocated without spending billions of dollars. Also, there is a riverfront park called "Riverfront Park" near Old Town. I'm sorry you missed it.

You can't come to Mankato expecting Minneapolis. It's a small city in Minnesota's cornbelt. However, we do have a lot of things to do that don't involve "slummy college bars" (I can only think of three that would fit the description) or grassland (which is beautiful, especially in the summer).

As for shopping: what else are we supposed to have? A full-service mall with every type of store imaginable is pretty good for a town this size. I'm sorry we don't have Chicago's Magnificent Mile or NYC's 5th Avenue, but we do have decent shopping.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>