U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2017, 06:22 AM

10,573 posts, read 8,711,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota Spring View Post
An excerpt from Paul Douglas regarding Minnesota winters:
"Half a Winter. So - is this a good thing? There are exceptions to every rule, but MOST Minnesota winters are a pale imitation of what our parents muddled through back in the 60s and 70s. It doesn't get down to -25F or -30F in the metro anymore. Now 0F is a big deal and potentially headline-generating. Really? Our winters are no longer (consistently) cold enough for mostly-snow. 22 days with rain or glaze ice since November 1 in the MSP metro. The longest January Thaw since 1944. No wonder winter weather lovers are in a funk. A lot of people like the additional warmth and lack of persistently frigid air. Others lament the loss of something fundamental, part of Minnesota's identity. I see both sides - I'm just the messenger. But no, our winters aren't nearly as forbidding, on average, as they were a generation ago. That's our new reality."
I don't remember the 60s or 70s (much), but even the 80s and 90s winters were significantly more intense than what we get now.

And the current trend? Well, 40Fs today and looking at the extended forecast through 9-day forecast, the 'coldest' day is Wednesday with a forecast high of 34F, with 57F the following Sunday.

Makes me think about getting my bike out and ready for spring... I'll take it!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2017, 07:53 AM

23,784 posts, read 26,890,641 times
I've read posts from very smart sounding posters from other parts of the country who seem to know what they're talking about and who have stated that Minnesota winters last at least 7 months, so don't get your hopes up that spring will show up any earlier than Memorial Day folks

Old 02-10-2017, 10:09 AM

7,572 posts, read 8,539,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
I've read posts from very smart sounding posters from other parts of the country who seem to know what they're talking about and who have stated that Minnesota winters last at least 7 months, so don't get your hopes up that spring will show up any earlier than Memorial Day folks
I have lived in MN most of my life and we have never had winter for 7 months - gross exaggeration.

Old 02-10-2017, 10:59 AM

1,395 posts, read 2,485,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
I don't remember the 60s or 70s (much), but even the 80s and 90s winters were significantly more intense than what we get now.

And the current trend? Well, 40Fs today and looking at the extended forecast through 9-day forecast, the 'coldest' day is Wednesday with a forecast high of 34F, with 57F the following Sunday.

Makes me think about getting my bike out and ready for spring... I'll take it!
I'm getting my bike out this weekend!! It's only supposed to be 40 something tomorrow, but with no snow on the path, might as well. Next weekend I'll do an even longer trek I don't think I have been biking in February before, but this year I might get a lot in (could have probably done it during late February last year but I was in Hawaii).
BTW, I'm in SW Minnesota right now for work and it is currently 52 degrees and just about noon!

Old 02-10-2017, 12:42 PM

60 degrees now

Old 02-10-2017, 01:30 PM

23,784 posts, read 26,890,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota Spring View Post
60 degrees now

I just love how you folks living in the Minnesota Riviera are always rubbing it in the rest of our faces...

Old 02-10-2017, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
I just love how you folks living in the Minnesota Riviera are always rubbing it in the rest of our faces...
Well, if it makes you feel better, I'm just here for work today. I'm about to head back home to Carver County now where it's a bone chilling 50 degrees.

Old 02-17-2017, 06:13 AM

10,573 posts, read 8,711,395 times
The forecast high in the Twin Cities today (specifically, at MSP) is 61 F.

According to the National Weather Service, there have only been four days since record-keeping began in 1873 when a 60+ F temperature was recorded in February in the Twin Cities.

Paul Douglas has some other interesting tidbits for the weather-geeks out there...

Paul Douglas on Weather - StarTribune.com

Old 02-17-2017, 09:04 AM

7,572 posts, read 8,539,542 times
Unbelievable weather today -I'm getting an early start on some yard work. Never before in Feb.

Old 02-17-2017, 09:48 AM

4,315 posts, read 3,552,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
Unbelievable weather today -I'm getting an early start on some yard work. Never before in Feb.

I do recall about 20 years ago when a central MN farmer plowed a field in February because he said he had never heard it done and his grand kids will be amazed in the future.

He never hit any frost plowing that south exposed field.

But, a warm February does not correlate to an early spring.

My late mother-in-law used to say.........." never trust a month with an...r...in it "
(MaRch and ApRil will follow )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota