Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2011, 10:29 PM
M74

46 posts, read 114,950 times

Advertisements

I get a little kick out of reading this thread. I know your hot and by all accounts it is hot for you guys. I just chuckle to myself whilst melting away here in AZ. We've had a few 118 degree days so far ( bout right for this time of year but doesn't make it easier) and now it's "monsoon" season so we get the humidity too. But don't fret, you guys will cool off in a couple months and my wife will be cursing the heat and hoping we get below 100 before Thanksgiving. Of coarse this thread will turn to cursing snow by then.

Like I said, these weather threads are funny. Not just this one but others as well. Stay cool my friends!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2011, 02:06 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,869,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M74 View Post
I get a little kick out of reading this thread. I know your hot and by all accounts it is hot for you guys. I just chuckle to myself whilst melting away here in AZ. We've had a few 118 degree days so far ( bout right for this time of year but doesn't make it easier) and now it's "monsoon" season so we get the humidity too. But don't fret, you guys will cool off in a couple months and my wife will be cursing the heat and hoping we get below 100 before Thanksgiving. Of coarse this thread will turn to cursing snow by then.

Like I said, these weather threads are funny. Not just this one but others as well. Stay cool my friends!
What's even funnier is during the winter time and places like New York or even Nashville will "get below 20 degrees" and people just lose their minds....while the HIGH temp in Minneapolis may be -5. That's a 25 degree difference. If you include the heat index (which I think is relavent), then Phoenix's 115 "feels like" 110, and Minneapolis' 95 "feels like" 105 -- then we're talking about a 5 degree difference here....nothing close to the 25 degree difference during the winter time.

That's the thing....the Twin Cities CAN get almost as hot as anywhere (almost), but almost nowhere gets NEARLY as cold as we do. I will give you desert-dwellers and Southern boys some credit though: being over 90-95 daily for weeks or months is MUCH MUCH MUCH more difficult to deal with than a small string of 90's like we have here. I think the impact is felt more the longer it beats you down (like winter does here).

Old 07-13-2011, 03:07 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,278,608 times
Heat indexes for the weekend and at least through early next week 115 .

Old 07-13-2011, 05:57 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,869,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Heat indexes for the weekend and at least through early next week 115 .
I know! I call a 100+ reading TWICE more before July ends....you heard it here first!

Old 07-13-2011, 06:39 PM
M74

46 posts, read 114,950 times
It's agreed then? Being hot S**KS.

At least you guys get to find reprieve in the lakes. If we jump in... well it's a dirt sandwich. Unless you attempt the man made ones, well, then bring your Hazmat gear!

Seriously though, I bet all those transplants from AZ are seething a bit. "We just left this! Nooooooooooooooooo!"

Old 07-14-2011, 09:00 AM

5,984 posts, read 13,406,945 times
I've had enough of summer, bring on fall! There's nothing like fall in Southern Minnesota.

At least it's not snowing.

Old 07-17-2011, 10:46 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,031,245 times
must be a hundred-and-twenty out...way too hot to mow

Old 07-17-2011, 11:11 AM

3,971 posts, read 9,671,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M74 View Post

Arizona heat is nothing like Minnesota heat. You'd know that had you ever been here.

I also scoff at your 'monsoon' humidity.

Old 07-17-2011, 11:12 AM

3,971 posts, read 9,671,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
What's even funnier is during the winter time and places like New York or even Nashville will "get below 20 degrees" and people just lose their minds....while the HIGH temp in Minneapolis may be -5. That's a 25 degree difference. If you include the heat index (which I think is relavent), then Phoenix's 115 "feels like" 110, and Minneapolis' 95 "feels like" 105 -- then we're talking about a 5 degree difference here....nothing close to the 25 degree difference during the winter time.

That's the thing....the Twin Cities CAN get almost as hot as anywhere (almost), but almost nowhere gets NEARLY as cold as we do. I will give you desert-dwellers and Southern boys some credit though: being over 90-95 daily for weeks or months is MUCH MUCH MUCH more difficult to deal with than a small string of 90's like we have here. I think the impact is felt more the longer it beats you down (like winter does here).

Exactly. just think, 5 short months ago it was -10. It was just 103 a month ago.

113 degree swing in 4 months? That's not even including index (110) and wind chill (-20)

Old 07-17-2011, 11:31 AM

275 posts, read 331,915 times
I have to say I prefer winter over summer in Minnesota. I have never liked the summer. The humidity is just too strong, especially now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota