Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Greatest Minnesotan(s) ever?
The Andrews Sisters 0 0%
Michele Bachmann (businesswoman, politician) 3 10.00%
Ann Bancroft (explorer) 0 0%
Dennis Banks (activist, teacher, author) 0 0%
Earl Bakken (businessman (Medtronics co-founder)) 1 3.33%
Theo Bear (beer spokesbear) 1 3.33%
Patty Berg (athlete) 0 0%
Warren Berger (Supreme Court Chief Justice) 0 0%
Harry Blackmun (Supreme Court justice) 0 0%
Jim Brandenburg (photographer, journalist) 0 0%
Neal Broten (athlete) 0 0%
Albert Butz (businessman (Honeywell founder)) 0 0%
Ethan and Joel Coen (directors, producers) 1 3.33%
Colonel William Colvill (soldier, politician) 1 3.33%
William Orville Douglas (Supreme Court justice) 0 0%
Bob Dylan (song and dance man) 9 30.00%
F. Scott Fitzgerald (author) 0 0%
Judy Garland (entertainer) 2 6.67%
John Paul Getty (oil executive/philanthropist) 0 0%
Bud Grant (athlete/coach/philosopher) 2 6.67%
Billy Graham (evangelist) 1 3.33%
James J Hill (railroad tycoon) 1 3.33%
Sid Hartman (sports writer, curmudgeon) 0 0%
Hubert H. Humphrey (politician) 3 10.00%
Bruce Johnson (breathrite inventor) 0 0%
Garrison Keillor (author, entertainer, commentator) 2 6.67%
Ann Landers (columnist) 0 0%
Sinclair Lewis (author) 1 3.33%
Charles Lindberg (aviator, author, activist) 1 3.33%
John MacMillan, Jr (businessman (Cargill, Inc.)) 0 0%
Charles and William Mayo (physicians) 2 6.67%
Eugene McCarthy (politician) 0 0%
Walter Mondale (politician) 1 3.33%
Bronco Nagurski (athlete) 0 0%
Ole, Lena and Sven (Scandinavians) 3 10.00%
Scott Olson (inventor (Rollerblade, Inc.)) 0 0%
Jeannette Piccard (balloonist, scientist, priest) 0 0%
John Pillsbury (businessman, politician, philanthropist) 0 0%
Prince (artist) 1 3.33%
Richard M. Schulze (founder of Sound of Music/Best Buy) 0 0%
Richard W. Sears (businessman) 0 0%
Charles Schultz (cartoonist) 4 13.33%
Will Steger (explorer) 0 0%
Taoyateduta (Mdewakanton Dakota Chief) 1 3.33%
Dave Winfield (athlete) 1 3.33%
other 2 6.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 07:36 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,303,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Why isn't Benchwarmer Bob on this list?

Wasn't John Madden born in MN?
I was a huge Benchwarmer Bob fan growing up. I actually got to meet him a few years ago. A friend bought some jewelry from his wife (she is/was a diamond broker) and she had to bring something to her at their home and I happened to be along. He was having breakfast when we got there

I did not know Billy Graham was from MN.

edit: I looked up Billy and he is not "from" here but "lived" here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_Graham
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2011, 08:41 AM

3,971 posts, read 9,677,593 times
It's pretty ironic that Bob Dylan is so popular on this list

I agree that he's probably the most influential.

But... Bob Dylan actually resented Minnesota. He hated the close-minded, cold, boring lifestyles of the Iron Range. He complained that the only 'art' that was acknowledged was polka-dancing and country and western music on the radio. That's why he split to Dinkytown and eventually to Greenwhich Villiage

Old 02-11-2011, 09:22 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,054,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
It's pretty ironic that Bob Dylan is so popular on this list

I agree that he's probably the most influential.

But... Bob Dylan actually resented Minnesota. He hated the close-minded, cold, boring lifestyles of the Iron Range. He complained that the only 'art' that was acknowledged was polka-dancing and country and western music on the radio. That's why he split to Dinkytown and eventually to Greenwhich Villiage
I seriously doubt you could find one accurate quote attributed to Dylan supporting this that wasn't focused on his need to get out into the bigger world to make a name for himself. His early work was heavily influenced in country/western music and he acknowledged Hank Williams and Woody Guthrie as big influences. His first trip to New York was practically a pilgrimage to see Woody who was hospitalized with Hunington's Disease.

Even if it was true it is irrelevant to the poll's intent but since you mention it...BIG urban myth as there are plenty of interviews (or read his book) out there as to how he has come to embrace the Iron Range, Minnesota and Midwest for what they are.

from a 2007 Strib article...

Dylan: Still one of us? | StarTribune.com

I feel Minnesota more than I feel New York or L.A. My work reflects thoughts I had as a little kid that have become superdeveloped. That's where I feel rooted, you know. I feel more familiar with the landscape, the people and the earth, I think. I feel more at home there.

He has maintained a farm residence in Hennepin County for close to 40 years and while obviously not a full time resident, reportedly visits frequently, enjoying the relative solitude that he is afforded yet, reportedly still interacts with the community.

Old 02-11-2011, 09:28 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,371,609 times
Where's the love for Charles Schultz? I can't think of anyone I've met, including outside of the United States, who hasn't heard of Charlie Brown and Snoopy. I also can't think of anything bad to say about the guy either, he has entertained millions with his cartoons and his characters and works will continue to entertain people for years to come.

Just to relate to a recent event, last Saturday we went to St. Paul for the Winter Carnival and parade. When we got to Rice Park where the ice sculptures were displayed my wife (originally from Mexico) immediately pointed out the Peanuts characters statues that are placed around the park. I'm looking down this list now and I'm pretty sure the only other person on the list she would recognize besides Schultz is Prince.

Old 02-11-2011, 10:09 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,601,055 times
James J. Hill was an American capitalist in the finest sense of the word. He built the Great Northern Railroad without government assistance, raising money in the market. He made millions for himself and billions for the farmers, businesses, and consumers who benefited from the railroad.

Old 02-11-2011, 10:23 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,083,811 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
Bud wouldn't approve.
True. I'm sorry.

Old 02-11-2011, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
I seriously doubt you could find one accurate quote attributed to Dylan supporting this that wasn't focused on his need to get out into the bigger world to make a name for himself. His early work was heavily influenced in country/western music and he acknowledged Hank Williams and Woody Guthrie as big influences. His first trip to New York was practically a pilgrimage to see Woody who was hospitalized with Hunington's Disease.

Even if it was true it is irrelevant to the poll's intent but since you mention it...BIG urban myth as there are plenty of interviews (or read his book) out there as to how he has come to embrace the Iron Range, Minnesota and Midwest for what they are.

from a 2007 Strib article...

Dylan: Still one of us? | StarTribune.com

I feel Minnesota more than I feel New York or L.A. My work reflects thoughts I had as a little kid that have become superdeveloped. That's where I feel rooted, you know. I feel more familiar with the landscape, the people and the earth, I think. I feel more at home there.

He has maintained a farm residence in Hennepin County for close to 40 years and while obviously not a full time resident, reportedly visits frequently, enjoying the relative solitude that he is afforded yet, reportedly still interacts with the community.

Dude are you kidding me? I live 2 miles from his Hanover house, so don't try and school me about this.

Watch this DVD:, which I OWN.

Amazon.com: Bob Dylan - No Direction Home: Bob Dylan, Martin Scorsese: Movies & TV

The first half hour all he talks about is how "close-minded" the 'Iron Range' was/is. How narrow minded the people were back then. How he refused to play in MPLS for a long time because of the disrespect he got there.

I don't just make posts out of thin air man. All my posts on this website are backed with FACTS. Watch the DVD and then retract the statement you made that i bolded

Old 02-11-2011, 02:17 PM

alright, so I read your first sentence again and I kind of get it. I guess yeah, his animosity towards the 'range' and 'flyover country' was probably the result of him wanting to get out and experience more to make a name for himself.... So I guess I agree, but that still doesn't down play the fact that he never felt 'at home' on the Range or in Duluth.. maybe that's what he meant in "Like a Rolling Stone"

Old 02-13-2011, 10:53 PM

6,512 posts, read 7,548,631 times
Quote:
Why isn't Benchwarmer Bob on this list?

Benchwarmer Bob! He used to live down the block from me!

Old 02-15-2011, 04:11 PM

1,606 posts, read 3,342,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillWallace View Post
Based on your definition "exerted great influence over their peer group, has had the greatest local/regional/national/world impact or has achieved the greatest name recognition through their acts or the work they have produced" I voted for Billy Graham. My only reservation about voting for him is that he's not as well known as being "from" Minnesota as some of the others on the list.
I've never really identified Billy Graham as being a Minnesotan. I know he lived here in the early years of his ministry, and certainly his organization was based here for several decades, but did he really live here that long??

Anyways, I'm surprised that the Dayton family isn't listed. Given their influence in:
1. Retail: Growing Daytons, buying Hudsons and Marshall Fields, starting TARGET, and (I think) B. Dalton Booksellers
2. Development: Being involved with the development of Southdale and the other dales
3. Philanthropy: Didn't the Dayton's start the generous trend of giving back a % of annual profits to the community.

My vote goes to the Daytons. (I also like the Mayo Brothers and Charles Schultze). The beginning scenes of A Charlie Brown Xmas are pure Minnesota!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota