U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-21-2011, 08:36 AM
 
8 posts, read 30,556 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

Hi all- My boyfriend and I currently live in Minneapolis. We have the option to move to either Duluth, Winona, or Owatonna. We are leaning towards Winona because we love the scenery and we are very active outdoors. Does anyone have any suggestions or information regarding any of these cities? I am trying to get as much information as possible before we make a decision. We are looking for an area that has a lot to do outdoors, nice scenery, friendly people, and lots of room (we are sick of the tight space in the city!). Again-ANY info or advice will be helpful!

Thanks in advance!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-21-2011, 10:54 AM
 
Location: Home in NOMI
1,635 posts, read 2,483,152 times
Reputation: 740
Winona is a very pretty town, but economically it's the boonies. Do you have a job lined up there? If not, you should check the job market before you go.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2011, 12:16 PM
 
Location: Gladstone, MO
2,066 posts, read 4,776,784 times
Reputation: 880
Well Duluth does have a lot of space, very beautiful scenery(the best in the state in my opinion with its location right on Lake Superior), and Duluth is also one of the best in the state for outdoor activities.

Winona is very pretty, but it is a lot smaller. Both Winona and Duluth are roughly the same distance to Minnepaolis(according to Mapquest and Google Maps), so if you ever want to go back there to visit friends or shop or anything, either town you'll be roughly the same distance. The reason im strongly recommending Duluth so much is because, well based off the information you gave us, it sounds Duluth would be perfect for you, unless you're looking for something Smaller like Winona and are tired of Minneapolis and dying for something smaller, though Duluth is still a lot smaller then the Twin Cities.

Do you have a job offer in each of the 3 cities? Do they pay the same or does one pay more then the other? If you have a job offer in each of the 3 with roughly the same pay, I'd go to Duluth.

Haven't been to Owatonna in several years. No comment about that one.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2011, 12:22 PM
 
8 posts, read 30,556 times
Reputation: 10
Thanks for the advice! I think I'll really look into Duluth. No, I have no job lined up-I work as a bartender right now so I will probably just try and find something when I get there....
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2011, 07:20 PM
 
Location: Minneapolis
106 posts, read 353,977 times
Reputation: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnickson View Post
We are looking for an area that has a lot to do outdoors, nice scenery, friendly people, and lots of room (we are sick of the tight space in the city!). Again-ANY info or advice will be helpful!

Thanks in advance!
Personally I'd pick Duluth then Winona. Since I live in Winona I can answer some of your questions about Winona. Winona offers everything you mentioned and is about 10 degrees warmer than duluth. Winona has a pretty diverse industry base for a city it's size, but it's still significantly smaller than duluth. There seems to be plenty of low paying jobs and bartending jobs available. I also know some people that commute to La Crosse for a job since that is only 25 miles away. By car it's about 2 hours to Minneapolis and 4.5 to Chicago. It is also right on the Empire Builder Amtrak line, so you can take a train to Minneapolis or Chicago.

Check this site out for more information about Winona: Winona, MN Tourism | Things to Do in Winona, Minnesota | Lodging, Shopping, Dining, Business Directory
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2011, 08:13 PM
 
8 posts, read 30,556 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by akronbball View Post
Personally I'd pick Duluth then Winona. Since I live in Winona I can answer some of your questions about Winona. Winona offers everything you mentioned and is about 10 degrees warmer than duluth. Winona has a pretty diverse industry base for a city it's size, but it's still significantly smaller than duluth. There seems to be plenty of low paying jobs and bartending jobs available. I also know some people that commute to La Crosse for a job since that is only 25 miles away. By car it's about 2 hours to Minneapolis and 4.5 to Chicago. It is also right on the Empire Builder Amtrak line, so you can take a train to Minneapolis or Chicago.

Check this site out for more information about Winona: Winona, MN Tourism | Things to Do in Winona, Minnesota | Lodging, Shopping, Dining, Business Directory
Thanks for the great info! Can I ask why you would pick Duluth first?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2011, 08:38 PM
 
Location: Minneapolis
106 posts, read 353,977 times
Reputation: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnickson View Post
Thanks for the great info! Can I ask why you would pick Duluth first?
No real reason other than it is larger. Both Winona and Duluth offer advantages over the other. I'm more of a Big City person, yet somehow I ended up living in Winona, so at times I want to get away, but Duluth would still be too small for my preference. I can honestly say I like living here though and it has been way better than I thought it would be.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2011, 03:37 PM
 
Location: Gladstone, MO
2,066 posts, read 4,776,784 times
Reputation: 880
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnickson View Post
Thanks for the great info! Can I ask why you would pick Duluth first?
I'll chime in, Duluth is larger, lol. thats pretty much it, and its similar distance to Minneapolis if you want to continue visiting there after you move for visiting friends or shopping, etc.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2011, 07:21 PM
 
Location: MN
3,962 posts, read 9,154,340 times
Reputation: 2100
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnickson View Post
Hi all- My boyfriend and I currently live in Minneapolis. We have the option to move to either Duluth, Winona, or Owatonna. We are leaning towards Winona because we love the scenery and we are very active outdoors. Does anyone have any suggestions or information regarding any of these cities? I am trying to get as much information as possible before we make a decision. We are looking for an area that has a lot to do outdoors, nice scenery, friendly people, and lots of room (we are sick of the tight space in the city!). Again-ANY info or advice will be helpful!

Thanks in advance!
Well there is nothing that Winona has that Duluth doesn't. Duluth offers plenty of scenery and outdoors. Plus how can you go wrong with a city this great:

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/34673_687360647151_56000713_39046604_6623673_n.jpg (broken link)
http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/34495_687361530381_56000713_39046636_6218413_n.jpg (broken link)
http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/59047_700937923181_56000713_39552099_3118149_n.jpg (broken link)
http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/32100_679437944311_56000713_38725740_1877575_n.jpg (broken link)
http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v342/135/17/56000713/n56000713_34953231_25.jpg (broken link)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2011, 07:30 PM
 
Location: MN
3,962 posts, read 9,154,340 times
Reputation: 2100
Ok, ok. Don't get me wrong. Duluth isn't the best place in the world. It's a city that certainly has it's problems - poorly ran local government (deeply in debt), poor street, sidewalk and utility conditions. However, for outdoors, you certainly cannot go wrong. I lived there for two years and I did so many outdoor things I never thought I'd do - Snowboard, Snow-Shoe, XC skiing, hiking on waterfalls, running at dawn on the beach, kayaking in lake superior, fishing in St. Louis River, smelting in lake superior, swimming in lake superior, climbing rocks... I did all of this within city limits -

Duluth is great because you can live downtown of a 'kind-of' big city and be literally minutes from seclusion and wilderness. I could walk from my house to canal park and downtown, but also walk into Chester Park and go hiking amongst waterfalls. Or take my kayak town to the lake and go paddling.

Duluth does get cold in the winter, but if you're used to cold, it's alright. Duluth-Superior has plenty of young people with all the colleges - UWS, UMD, CSS, LSC.

Winona is an awesome city too. I love Winona. I kind of think of it kinda like a mini-Duluth. Plenty of Colleges in that area too for young kids...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top