Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 02:03 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,411,972 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure there is a difference between "plains" and "prairie," I know Marshall is certainly a Great Plains city. I was just saying that Morris, like Willmar, borders forested and lake-filled areas near Alexandria and Glenwood. It's not a true "prairie/plains" town like Marshall or Moorhead, or areas in South Dakota, so maybe the OP would like it better. I know Marshall is about 1 and 1/2 to 2 hours away from any significant tree cover.

Yes, Morris is colder than the Cities or SW Minnesota. One advantage to living on the west side of MN is that we get less snow than areas like the Cities and Winona. Plus, it rains a lot less.

Morris definitely seems like a cool town, though. I didn't know it was that much of a college town, but it does have a U of M campus there. People tend to overlook Morris when talking about western Minnesota.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2011, 02:52 PM

1,935 posts, read 5,831,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
Morris definitely seems like a cool town, though. I didn't know it was that much of a college town, but it does have a U of M campus there. People tend to overlook Morris when talking about western Minnesota.
Yeah, even when talking about "Morris" I tend to use the town name of "Morris" as being synonymous with the actual college, as it's what the town is probably most known for (this of course coming from a Morris alum). The town itself is pretty small- I think the population is 4000-5000, and the school itself has ~2000+ students, maybe more. The college is pretty well known in MN and regionally, and has been highlighted on a national level quite a bit for consistently ranking in the top 5 of 'best public liberal arts colleges' in the nation (US News & World Report), making many national top lists for 'best value', and the efforts to make the campus sustainable/reduce carbon footprint.

So yes, it should definitely be viewed as a feather in Western/West Central MN's cap.

Old 03-21-2011, 10:44 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,027,465 times
The first city I thought of was Duluth, which is obviously bigger, but has a lot of what you're looking for. But then you mentioned you don't want to go there.

And next I thought Morris. Everyone I know who lives there (most are college students, admittedly) were definitely current-day hippies. Most of the ones I know (not as friends, but through my high school and such) ended up spending a lot of time getting into progressive politics and smoking a lot of weed. Haha.

Old 03-22-2011, 09:36 AM

3,971 posts, read 9,676,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xandrex View Post
The first city I thought of was Duluth, which is obviously bigger, but has a lot of what you're looking for. But then you mentioned you don't want to go there.

And next I thought Morris. Everyone I know who lives there (most are college students, admittedly) were definitely current-day hippies. Most of the ones I know (not as friends, but through my high school and such) ended up spending a lot of time getting into progressive politics and smoking a lot of weed. Haha.
Duluth is a very 'hippy' town. It's very liberal with it being a larger city and a University town. I would often see dreadlock hair, very laid back hippy-like people. There are a lot of bluegrass/reggae festivals and venues. Although Duluth is a pretty big city, it's got a very very small town feel.

Old 03-22-2011, 11:21 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,027,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
Duluth is a very 'hippy' town. It's very liberal with it being a larger city and a University town. I would often see dreadlock hair, very laid back hippy-like people. There are a lot of bluegrass/reggae festivals and venues. Although Duluth is a pretty big city, it's got a very very small town feel.
Haha, oh I know. I moved to Duluth at the age of 4 and grew up through high school there. Definitely a hippie vibe. Lots of burnt out hippies in old Subarus and Volkswagen vans, always wearing sandals and weird jewelry, etc.

Pretty much walk into Amazing Grace at any given hour in Canal Park and you'll find more than enough hippies. And that's only one spot of many!

Old 03-23-2011, 08:29 PM

105 posts, read 477,885 times
I'm not familiar with small towns in Minnesota.

Based on stories from my sister-in-law, New Ulm sounds like a hippy small town so does Marshall. She grew up in both of these towns. She also attended college in Marshall before she found her job in St. Louis, MO.

Old 04-30-2011, 10:02 AM

4 posts, read 17,440 times
I would definitely suggest the Mankato-St. Peter area. It's less than 90 minutes from the cities. They have a great, paved bike trail off Highway 22 that goes on for miles & miles. Colleges in both STP and Kato will give you tons of people your age. I know St. Peter has a vegan Market right on hwy 169 called....uuhhh i forget, havent been in the area for years. But it was popular with the hippies. The only thing i must warn you about...there is a lot of high grade marijuana in the area. So lock the doors and hide your kids!

Old 04-30-2011, 12:44 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,411,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missourian11 View Post
I'm not familiar with small towns in Minnesota.

Based on stories from my sister-in-law, New Ulm sounds like a hippy small town so does Marshall. She grew up in both of these towns. She also attended college in Marshall before she found her job in St. Louis, MO.
New Ulm is very conservative.

Old 06-20-2015, 09:36 PM

1 posts, read 2,087 times
Currie is the town for you...it needs a health food store or a coop however, as well as an organic farm and a rock & roll band. Then I assure you life will be perfect....u can buy a farmhouse for 1000 down & 500 a month...plant your garden...corn, tomatoes, ganja, lettuce and anything else...bring your tribe with u, carefully selected...I wanna see happies working the soil. Currie Minnesota...a truly lovely town.

Old 06-22-2015, 10:39 AM

12,040 posts, read 8,414,540 times
Southwest of the town of Mankato is a pretty, little town - Good Thunder, with an eclectic mix of artists and farmers. Lots of trees, rolling hills, river and good bike riding. Access to organic food.

Hurry, though. Progressive policies and big business are making these things you seek increasingly scarce.

Well. Maybe except for the bike paths.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota