U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2011, 08:24 PM

8 posts, read 30,682 times

Advertisements

Hi all!

So, I am interested to learn more about the towns surrounding Winona. Does anyone have any knowledge/info regarding towns like Rollingstone, Altrua, Minnesota City, Stockton, etc..? Any info is greatly appreciated!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2011, 09:25 PM

106 posts, read 356,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnickson View Post
Hi all!

So, I am interested to learn more about the towns surrounding Winona. Does anyone have any knowledge/info regarding towns like Rollingstone, Altrua, Minnesota City, Stockton, etc..? Any info is greatly appreciated!
What type of information are you looking for? The 2010 Census numbers can be found on the new fact finder site. American FactFinder

Are you looking for places to live or visit? Winona, MN Tourism | Things to Do in Winona, Minnesota | Lodging, Shopping, Dining, Business Directory

Old 03-18-2011, 07:01 AM

Yes I am looking for information about availability of housing, jobs, what are the communities like? I will check out those websites too....

Old 03-18-2011, 10:31 PM

106 posts, read 356,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnickson View Post
Yes I am looking for information about availability of housing, jobs, what are the communities like? I will check out those websites too....
Here is a search for jobs from indeed
Jobs, Employment in Winona, MN | Indeed.com

Finding housing should not be a problem and I find it very reasonably priced compared to most other places I've lived. I guess this does depend on the specifics of what you are looking for.

In Winona the cities of Winona/Goodview/MN City and a few of the townships are all together in a sort of metro area with about 35,000 people. Outside of this area the cities are pretty small from less than 200 in Elba to about 3,500 in St. Charles. St. Charles is about half way between Rochester and Winona and offers the most services of any city outside Winona. Winona County as a whole is a strange mix with farmers, blue collar workers, a college town, and a far amount of artsy people. There are a lot of different valley's and small unincorporated areas that add to the uniqueness. The County as a whole offers a lot of recreation with 3 state parks, state forest, trout fishing, cycling, canoeing/boating, hiking, and many others.

The cities of Rollingstone, Stockton, Elba, and Dakota are all in valley's. Dakota is only a few miles from La Crosse so it has additional options for employment closer. Utica, Altura, Lewiston are all on the blufftops and do not have the same scenery as many of the other communities.

If you are looking for a very small city less than 1,000 I would look into Rollingstone (founded by Luxembourgers) or Dakota. The next option I would look at is St. Charles, which is very close to Whitewater State Park (Whitewater State Park: Minnesota DNR) or Lewiston. Both offer some basic services and a quick drive to Winona or Rochester.

City of St. Charles Minnesota - Gateway to the Whitewater Valley
City of Lewiston > Home

Old 03-19-2011, 11:58 AM

1,833 posts, read 3,151,283 times
If you were looking for a job that meant working at the Mayo Clinic and you like Winona, Mayo has buses that go between. I don't know all the places they stop, but I know there are lots of small towns that have pickups too.

Old 03-19-2011, 12:49 PM

Thanks so much this information has been incredibly helpful! I really feel like I have a good idea now of what to expect! It sounds great with all the outdoor activities....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota