Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 05:14 PM

2,271 posts, read 2,650,650 times

Advertisements

I like odd, miscellaneous trivia like this. Personally, I've been through two passports (good for 10 years each) but now I'm done. It's not that I don't enjoy traveling, because I really do. I just don't like the direction the world is going these days, not to mention government invasiveness of travelers (and in general). I haven't flown since July of 2001.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2011, 08:22 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,170,667 times
Thanks for the info on the passport statics.

As some have mentioned and It slipped my mind is all the folks running away from winter, the folks going to Canada for prescription drugs and to go fishing.

I don't see many traveling because of these reasons listed below.

" a highly educated population that travels extensively. large international corporations headquartered here where employees frequently travel around the world.(what would that account for 200-300 folks)
Many school groups travel internationally ( to Mexico? for spring break?)as well as many college kids doing study abroad programs
(Again that is a small population and they could be from a different state.). I would say for every family I know, at least ONE person in that family has traveled internationally. "

To Canada or Mexico?
Yea, some also go to Scandinavia.

Mpls is on average is 5yrs behind the east or west coast and rural MN is about 7yrs behind the coasts.
From my 45+years of observation.

The internet has helped the "hicks" in rural MN keep up with the Jones's.

I don't see how this statistic makes us more refined or lowers our "hick" rating?

Every state has, a highly educated population, large international corporations, school groups & college kids doing study abroad programs.

Maybe we are seen as hicks for trying to see our selves as wordily?

What's so wrong with not being in the fast lane of the rat race? Sometimes you have to slow down and smell the blue berries, put your feet up on the porch sit back and be a hick.

Old 09-07-2011, 10:53 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,303,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
Thanks for the info on the passport statics.

As some have mentioned and It slipped my mind is all the folks running away from winter, the folks going to Canada for prescription drugs and to go fishing.

I don't see many traveling because of these reasons listed below.

" a highly educated population that travels extensively. large international corporations headquartered here where employees frequently travel around the world.(what would that account for 200-300 folks)
Many school groups travel internationally ( to Mexico? for spring break?)as well as many college kids doing study abroad programs
(Again that is a small population and they could be from a different state.). I would say for every family I know, at least ONE person in that family has traveled internationally. "

To Canada or Mexico?
Yea, some also go to Scandinavia.

Mpls is on average is 5yrs behind the east or west coast and rural MN is about 7yrs behind the coasts.
From my 45+years of observation.

The internet has helped the "hicks" in rural MN keep up with the Jones's.

I don't see how this statistic makes us more refined or lowers our "hick" rating?

Every state has, a highly educated population, large international corporations, school groups & college kids doing study abroad programs.

What's so wrong with not being in the fast lane of the rat race? Sometimes you have to slow down and smell the blue berries, put your feet up on the porch sit back and be a hick.
Well-let's see, my son's high school band went to China for spring break, 10 days, 100 kids, 20 chaperones so that is 120 kids from one school program alone. There were 50 parents that did a side trip at the same time. The choir went to France that same year with over 100 students/chaperones and another 50 or so parents. The Spanish classes took 50 students/chaperones to Spain that same year and the German classes took about 75 people to Germany. So, for those 10 days there were over 450 people just from our high school overseas somewhere that I know of off hand.

In my husband's old company from "rural MN", there were regular flights for various executives to Europe, Russia, China and Japan. There were usually 20 or so people on these flights, corporate plane with at least one flight going each month. Corporations like Best Buy, Target, 3M, etc. with plants and business all over the world have 100's of people flying to those countries each month.

I know of at least 2 other band programs that are going to China and Europe this year, similar sized groups most likely...

This of course doesn't take into consideration the people that just go abroad for vacations..

Old 09-07-2011, 03:51 PM

988 posts, read 1,828,243 times
I would guess it's a combination of factors that all contribute a bit to a higher percentage of passport holders (of which I happen to be one too): major airport that has some international connections, proximity to Canada, large number of corporations relative to the size of our population, pasty people wanting to be somewhere warm in the dead of winter, and probably a relatively higher income that lends itself to more extensive travel, be it leisure or school groups.

It may be true there are a number of corporations in most, if not all, other states but I believe there are a larger number of corporations here relative to the size of population of the state. While this is admittedly quickly picked for stats and perhaps are entirely representative, MN has 21 F500 companies here as compared to AR's 4. Yes, we have a larger population than AR but not 5-6X the population. Again, I fully admit this comparison is perhaps twisting statistics somewhat out of context but the point remains we have a fairly large number of corporations here, which would skew the percentage in our favor.

Old 09-07-2011, 03:54 PM

988 posts, read 1,828,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post

I would somewhat agree having or not having a passport does not in and of itself make you hick/not-hick. People talk about how we should be like Europeans and have passports and travel. I would counter if I needed a passport to get to Wisconsin or Florida a lot more of us would have them.

As far as us trying to be seen as worldly? Hmmm...I suppose possible but that doesn't seem in line with the stereotypical self-effacing Minnesota culture.

Old 09-07-2011, 07:18 PM

198 posts, read 483,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar22 View Post
Plus, Minnesotans and Wisconsinites have a more "Canadian" outlook than many Americans -- we're not afraid to travel to foreign countries, where many Americans would rather go to Disney World or Mt. Rushmore.
I'm not afraid to travel to foreign countries. But I'd still rather travel to Disney World or Mt. Rushmore.

Old 09-08-2011, 06:50 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,170,667 times
stereotypical .
That's kind of my point the old stereo type does not apply anymore.

There was a time that on a job interview that when you said you were from MN they thought you had a good work ethic, now not so much.

It's a nice statistic that mn hicks have passports but that does not make greater MN any more worldly or elite.

Good point, If we need a passport to go to WI or to go to any other state like Europeans need one to go to the neighboring country all of us would be well traveled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBCommenter View Post
I would somewhat agree having or not having a passport does not in and of itself make you hick/not-hick. People talk about how we should be like Europeans and have passports and travel. I would counter if I needed a passport to get to Wisconsin or Florida a lot more of us would have them.

As far as us trying to be seen as worldly? Hmmm...I suppose possible but that doesn't seem in line with the stereotypical self-effacing Minnesota culture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota