Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 09:06 PM

865 posts, read 2,501,554 times

Advertisements

What a load of you-know-what. What I find truly hypocritical is when someone tries to throw up a "We're all better off when we stick to our own kind" sentiment like the previous post and claim there's nothing racist at all about it. People fall in love for a variety of reasons. Curiousity about having sex with a different race might create an initial attraction, but it has NOTHING to do with falling in love. When you do meet that person that is right for you, you're not doing a "cultural heritage background check" to see if falling in love can be safely done without doing damage to or "abandoning" your people. Fact is inter-racial relationship have precious little to do with weakening cultural heritage. What about the Norwegian-Aleut in Alaska who still fishes for a living, raises and run sled dogs, belongs to the Sons of Norway, and worships in the local Russian Orthodox church? Isn't he honoring multiple heritages? How about my former student (mom's white, dad's from Nigeria) who travels back to Africa before returning to study at Cal-Berkeley?

If you want to look for a cause of cultural disintegration, look at the fact that we live in a much more transcient society today, where connections to elders are weaker. The family is weaker. Society places a huge emphasis on what's in it for me NOW and immediate gratification. Taking time to learn about your family's past is a slower process that doesn't have the appeal that it once did. NONE of these things are tied to race.

The truth is that the previous post positively smacks of isolationism and yes, racism. You honor your cultural heritage by learning about it and carrying on traditions, NOT by who you marry. Glad to see you're not in MN or my neck of the woods!

Old 09-04-2008, 01:41 PM

4 posts, read 10,210 times
Angry Wow!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangent View Post
I've seen more than a few posts like this and I'm not sure if they are even real people. I suspect it's highly likely someone might be starting these threads to get people all worked up. If they are real people there is some glaring hypocrisies and inconsistencies with their mode of thinking. Even more than the obvious ones, mind you.

Before I begin, I'm going to address racism. Many people hide behind it and attempt to slander a wide group of people with words like "backwards", "hateful", "ignorant", etc. There are definitely those things out there, no doubt. Personally, I disagree with vexing any person simply because of their race. When it comes to mixed race relationships however, every person should have enough pride, respect, and love for their own people, their own heritage, their own ancestors, and themselves to find a relationship within their own race. Mixed race relationships are dishonorable: plain and simple. Those with wisdom and understanding recognize this, and they are neither ignorant, hateful, or "backwards". It's the people who participate in, and encourage, interracial relationships who are ignorant, hateful, and "backwards".

No race of people is under any obligation to extend affection or acceptance to someone who is actively destroying their heritage by race mixing, or any other means for that matter. There is nothing more hateful than abandoning your own people and participating in their genocide because of an uneducated, ignorant, unnatural, and selfish desire to have sex with someone of another race. Interracial relationships do more to destroy any given particular race than hate groups do. It's well past time independent thinkers, and good men and women of every race, step up and start speaking out against these destructive social trends that are propagandized and supported by an equally destructive media and it's culture.

Now to the poster and assuming they are a real person. First off, why would any Caucasian person who's in a mixed race relationship want to move to an all Caucasian area? Be consistent, you've chosen a person of another race over your own. Move to an area where those people are a majority. They are good enough to abandon your own race, heritage, to have sex with, and bear children- but not to live in their communities? You want to bring them to an all Caucasian area and say; "Look what I've got my people! Embrace me and my decision to dishonor my heritage!" Then when people don't agree with your decision, it's them who has the problem- not you right? They are so "ignorant"!

Yeah, makes perfect sense. You hear there is a lot of racism in Minnesota, so naturally that's where you would "think a lot about moving out to". Not the many multicultural areas of the USA where your lifestyle would be embraced; but "think a lot" about a place with "a lot of rasicm". This is what makes me suspect these posts aren't real.

I was hoping that you didn't live in Minnesota...whew!! You live right where you are supposed to in good ol' Klan Valley, SC!! You are a certifiable idiot. I don't know what your heritage is but, you can bet your rear end that you are not 100% anything!! No one in the USA is 100% Italian, Swedish, Indian, African or other. And if you so happen to be for example, German, I applaud your family for doing a full heritage background check on everyone they may have come in contact with prior to having sex or getting married; obviously they were extremely bored and never married for love. OMG, I can't believe people with your mentality are still walking around in this day and age. You were obviously born into the WRONG GENERATION. I am thoroughly DISGUSTED!!!

Old 09-05-2008, 02:45 AM

12 posts, read 51,765 times
got to love how people are assuming white areas would be racist.

...isnt that racism?

Old 09-05-2008, 07:47 AM

4 posts, read 10,210 times
I feel the need to put my two cents in about the lady inquiring in the first place about racism in MN. For those of you who don't understand why the question was asked and get all bent out of shape about the question let me offer you this.

People in interracial relationships have a genuine concern for there children and how they will be treated at school by their peers, and how the entire family will be treated and spoken to. Lack of Diversity typically equals Ignorance. Once those kids grow up will they be able to date someone that may be of a different background? Are other parents not going to care about their children dating outside "their race"? These are genuine concerns and the reason some of you get all bent out of shape about it is because 9 out of 10 of you are caucasian, and by being caucasian race acceptance is not typically something that comes into play when moving to a different area. Who wants there children to possibly be exiled or ridiculed and made to feel different? No one, that is why people ask these types of questions. It is out of genuine concern, and I'm not making this a Black/ White issue it is a concern for most people.

Say for instance a caucasian family is being relocated because of employment from MN to ATL, well I can almost bet that most caucasians won't leave a forum asking about race relations in the ATL area but, I bet there will be some serious research on demographics of a neighborhood before you moved. Why would you research the area, because seeing someone like yourself brings a certain level of comfort. Most caucasian people would not live in an area where they would be .01% of the population.

Just food for thought, for those of you that think she was being ignorant in asking the question in the first place. It's not about racism and to go somewhere blind not knowing what is on the other end now that would be ignorant.

The other reason people ask is because unfortunately when interracial couples with children move into primarily caucasian areas the alert goes off because they want to know why there isn't diversity there and if there is why is the number so low. Which then signals the question IS there a problem? IS there going to be a problem? Are we going to be socially accepted? Gays and Lesbians ask the same kind of questions.

These are Legitimate questions no matter what type of relationship you are in.

Better safe than sorry!

Old 09-05-2008, 08:36 AM

214 posts, read 691,706 times
I worked at a large Minnesota corporation--on Nicollet Mall--with a Black lawyer. A professional woman and a fine human being. She told me how she was treated in Minneapolis, and in the company. No, in most instances racism in the work place cannot be proved--she felt unsafe.

My friend found a job out of state. She had encountered racism elsewhere, of course, but she was too uncomfortable in Minnesota to stay in the state; she had a young daughter you see.

It still happens, don't fool yourself into thinking it doesn't.

Old 09-06-2008, 02:21 PM

23 posts, read 78,924 times
Everywhere is going to have racism.. if you like it or not. People can't help but think that its the right thing to do. It's not right. But people do it anyways. They don't care.. but it seems like everyone is getting sick and tired of the racism thats happening everywhere. So, it's still going to happen when we're old and gray. Doesn't matter.

Old 10-21-2008, 05:50 PM

162 posts, read 229,578 times
Why would anyone want to have more than two children..............

Old 10-22-2008, 06:33 PM

73,007 posts, read 62,585,728 times
There is a difference between racism, racial prejudice, and bigotry. Racism is believing that one race is superior to another. Racial prejudice is prejudging a person before you even meet them simply because of one's race. Bigotry is taking racism and racial prejudice and acting on it through such means as creating unfair laws or doing such unsavory actions such as burning a cross or committing racially motivated murders at the extreme to name calling at the least.

This is racism anywhere you go. There are going to be people all over this nation(Minnesota included) who think one race is superior or inferior to another. If you are looking for a place where there is no racism, good luck. There are lot of people of generations X and Y who often say racism is dead and that it does not exist and that everyone is treated equal. I disagree. Sure the laws have changed. Sundown laws are no longer enforceable. This means if you are a minority and you want to live in any small town, legally you could do so and if someone told you otherwise you can take it to court(the federal court). With that said, don't expect for there to be absolutely no racism there. It happens because it is a sad fact of human nature. The question is "will you face racial prejudice and bigotry?" Racial prejudice is judging someone based on race before you meet that person. There are people who judge. It happens all over the country and it isn't just white people who do it either. There are blacks, Hispanics, Asians,etc. who will do the same thing. Bigotry is rarer but can still happen. It happens everywhere. It shouldn't happen. It is wrong, but it still happens.
My solution: If you want to move to MN, don't let anything stop you. Just remember that Minnesota isn't free of racism. It is there too. The question is, what will you do about it?

Old 10-25-2008, 07:03 AM

143 posts, read 456,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangent View Post
When it comes to mixed race relationships however, every person should have enough pride, respect, and love for their own people, their own heritage, their own ancestors, and themselves to find a relationship within their own race. Mixed race relationships are dishonorable: plain and simple. Those with wisdom and understanding recognize this, and they are neither ignorant, hateful, or "backwards". It's the people who participate in, and encourage, interracial relationships who are ignorant, hateful, and "backwards".

There is nothing more hateful than abandoning your own people and participating in their genocide because of an uneducated, ignorant, unnatural, and selfish desire to have sex with someone of another race. Interracial relationships do more to destroy any given particular race than hate groups do. It's well past time independent thinkers, and good men and women of every race, step up and start speaking out against these destructive social trends that are propagandized and supported by an equally destructive media and it's culture.
This actually sounds like it came straight out of the handbook of an Aryan Nations group.
Their base is in SC too, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota