U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2011, 11:23 AM

1 posts, read 3,674 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I are looking to move into a house owned by his Grandpa. We are wondering if we legally need a lease made up for us to live there since it would be trade for services instead of paying rent. If anybody has any idea please let us know. We are currently renting from somebody else and are looking to move within the next 2-3 months if not sooner!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2011, 11:41 AM

1,114 posts, read 2,305,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blvsbabygirl View Post
My boyfriend and I are looking to move into a house owned by his Grandpa. We are wondering if we legally need a lease made up for us to live there since it would be trade for services instead of paying rent. If anybody has any idea please let us know. We are currently renting from somebody else and are looking to move within the next 2-3 months if not sooner!
My guess (and that's all it is) would be that you don't need a lease. In my association, I know several townhouses are technically owned by parents and college- or grad-school aged kids live there alone, and I never got the impression any of them had a formal lease agreement. However, the city did consider them rental units and they had to be inspected every 2 years.

That said, it may be a good idea to write up a simple lease, just to make sure everyone is on the same page regarding exactly what services you are providing, who is responsible for damage, maintanence, etc.

I'm sure someone else will chime in who knows whether it is legally necessary. It might vary depending on city and county regulations as well.

Old 04-22-2011, 02:26 PM

20,793 posts, read 58,932,863 times
You don't need a lease/rental agreement to live anywhere. They just provide protection for you and the landlord. Personally I would still GET a lease that outlines what your relative can and cannot do-and what you can and cannot do. You can buy them at Office Max, etc. and online.

Old 04-22-2011, 02:39 PM

10,629 posts, read 25,609,755 times
You don't need a lease, but depending on location you will still need a rental permit from your city. Here in Minneapolis a license is required even when renting to family members (and even, I believe, when there's no exchange of actual money), but the fee is pretty small. It wasn't that way in the past, but the gist of it is that the city wants to make sure that even family-rented properties are up to minimum safety codes. Just call the local city government to see what, if anything, they need to make it legal. They can hit you with a fine otherwise, and these days many local governments are really desperate for revenue.

I'd still get something in writing for the rest of it (the lease, I mean), just to make sure everyone is on the same page.

Old 05-25-2011, 04:35 PM

11 posts, read 17,028 times
I don't think legally you need to have a lease, BUT, being that family/friends can become enemies real fast based on an arrangement like this, I would definitely have something in writing just in case. People always say it will never happen, but things happen. You can find form leases, etc. on the internet and just change it around to apply to your relationship/situation.

My mother-in-law lives with us and well (she is beyond difficult so this may be just better for us) but we have a written lease that we all signed and she pays us rent for the two rooms in our home she has. So that there are no arguments over petty things, we have everything in writing. If your family is very laid back too, you can just chalk it up to the fact that hey, you want everything "legal." It helps so there are no misunderstandings.

I cannot even count on one hand how many times I've seen family members suing each other on one of those court shows. CRAZY.

Sandee

Old 05-31-2011, 04:26 PM

267 posts, read 525,215 times
You can find the Minnesota Standard Lease here - http://www.mnbar.org/sections/real-p...orms/rpf41.pdf

This document is the one the State Bar Association recommends using since it complies with all state statutes.

Old 05-31-2011, 07:37 PM

6,735 posts, read 8,995,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blvsbabygirl View Post
You do not need a lease...that's between you guys and your boyfriends grandpa. But he may need to get a rental license. On the other hand, there may be some property tax issues. So on second thought, if the city comes a knockin', just play stupid.

Old 06-01-2011, 11:45 AM

64 posts, read 213,526 times
My Mother and law rents the lower unit of our duplex. Even though everything is cool, we did find it a good idea to write out a formal lease. Again, you are all family and things are cool, but you never know down the road who may have heard something wrong and then it becomes "but you said this" and "But you said this" and then all hell breaks loose.

we simply found a lease agreement form online and then edited it to fit our needs. Things like no deposit given, monthy rent (or compensation for rent) utility responsibilities and all that are spelled out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota