Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2011, 06:30 PM

1 posts, read 2,154 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I've lived in Florida my whole life, however, after traveling to Minneapolis several times for the past 3 years due to a long distance relationship, I am looking to move up to the city soon. However, I need to have a job before I move up there. I've searched for jobs with all major companies and even local business, and have only ever had one phone interview come out of that. I feel as though when I apply for a job online, I'm putting my resume out into a black hole of applications.

Currently, I have a full time job where I live in Florida as a Fraud Analyst. I have an accounting degree from the University of South Florida and I have a bit of experience with accounting thanks to an internship. I have a strong academic background, excellent computer knowledge and I am going to go back and get a masters degree one of these days. I really do enjoy the job I have now as a Fraud Analyst, and getting something similar in Minneapolis would be ideal, but at this point I'm willing to take any job that I'm qualified to do.

I have nowhere else to turn, so I'm looking here. I've had some good luck when talking to people on forums and such, so I figure if I put out this open cry for help that maybe something will come of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2011, 02:54 PM

33 posts, read 115,683 times
Have you tried networking? You are never going to get a job just sending out online apps. You actually have to meet people or ask them about their jobs and then ask if they know of any openings at their company.

There are many large corporate headquarters here in Minneapolis. Try Target, Best Buy, General Mills, IBM (in Rochester), etc. I'm sure they all hire many accountants, or at least they did before the recession.

Old 06-04-2011, 09:52 AM

1,237 posts, read 3,448,948 times
I hate to break it to you, but most people who know about an open job are recommending their friends, family, or previous coworkers. Or more likely, everyone else is looking for something too.

You're going to have a hard time getting strangers to take pity on you...we all have our own job issues to deal with. Your best bet is to put your nose to the ground like everyone else.

Old 06-05-2011, 10:20 AM

3,769 posts, read 8,801,056 times
Being from SFL and a MN relocation - your post caught my eye. The thing that sticks out the most is that you area fraud analyst. Great job for Florida -but I am not certain there is as much a market for it here. Completely different culture.

Old 06-08-2011, 05:20 PM

2,105 posts, read 4,601,386 times
If you really want a job you can work day labor

Old 06-08-2011, 05:43 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,733,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by from_satellites View Post
Hi all,

I've lived in Florida my whole life, however, after traveling to Minneapolis several times for the past 3 years due to a long distance relationship, I am looking to move up to the city soon. However, I need to have a job before I move up there. I've searched for jobs with all major companies and even local business, and have only ever had one phone interview come out of that. I feel as though when I apply for a job online, I'm putting my resume out into a black hole of applications.

Currently, I have a full time job where I live in Florida as a Fraud Analyst. I have an accounting degree from the University of South Florida and I have a bit of experience with accounting thanks to an internship. I have a strong academic background, excellent computer knowledge and I am going to go back and get a masters degree one of these days. I really do enjoy the job I have now as a Fraud Analyst, and getting something similar in Minneapolis would be ideal, but at this point I'm willing to take any job that I'm qualified to do.

I have nowhere else to turn, so I'm looking here. I've had some good luck when talking to people on forums and such, so I figure if I put out this open cry for help that maybe something will come of it.
I get what you're doing, I did the same...it was a way of networking...ahem!

It worked out for me in that not only did I manage to get some leads but I started to get to know people better. However, one thing that is different is that I visited the forum in that area for months and months before I asked for help like this.

Still, it is worth a shot and I hope you find nicer, more helpful answers than the ones you have received thus far.

I would also say, it is very difficult to get a job in another location without being in that location. Everyone says, "have a job lined up before you go" but you have to be there to get the job, in many cases. So what do you do?

Save up money. Save up enough to live 6 months to a year. Rent, electric, phone, cable, gas, food, etc...save it up.

While you are saving it up, continue to search for jobs in the area you want to live.

If you still haven't found one by the time you have the money saved up, you will have a bit of a cushion to get up there and have a better chance of being hired.

And yes, most of the jobs I've ever had in my life, whether I relocated or not, were from "word of mouth" and not from an online application. It's possible, of course, but harder. Good luck.

Old 06-10-2011, 10:09 PM

3 posts, read 5,832 times
Hi from_satellites - Saw your post and thought I'd send out some info. Can't believe how rude some people are in their responses! Just ignore them! My husband and I have actually picked up and moved several times without having jobs first. If we like an area we will just go. It seems from reading a lot of forum posts from all over, that most people are scared and won't take the leap without being 100% certain. I think you can mitigate some of the risk by maybe saving up a little money, but if you truly want to be in Minnesota, you should GO FOR IT! Something that may help when you are applying for jobs is this: rent a mailbox in that city so you have an address. We use the UPS Store a lot. You can usually do it by phone, just explain you're coming up there and want to set things up ahead of time. They usually rent for around $20/month with a 3 month minimum. After that, you buy an inexpensive cell phone and a prepaid card for a month's service, I recommend Walmart's Straight Talk phone and service. I use them and love them. Never had any problems and I've moved a few times already. You just sign up for the number of the area you want to live in. So if you want to move to Minneapolis, find out their area code and tell that to the Straight Talk rep when you call to activate your phone. I think most employers are leary of out of state resumes. This way, you will look local and can at least get your foot in the door and maybe get more phone calls. Hopefully you'll be ready to fly out there at a moment's notice since I bet you'll get way more calls using this method. Best of luck to you on your journeys!

Last edited by robynbanks2011; 06-10-2011 at 11:14 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota