Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2007, 02:17 AM

24 posts, read 133,835 times

Advertisements

People are friendly here most of the time. If you have car trouble, you will probably have a stranger offering help. If you need directions, someone is happy to give them to you. Likewise, strangers aren't afraid to say hello or have a short conversation at the gas pump. Strangers even wave if you're driving in the right part of the state. People in Minnesota are pretty friendly to strangers.

Quite a few people here though, should be considered "Minnesota Passive." By this I mean that there are a lot of folks that will assist you if you need help basically because they just don't mind.

Old 08-06-2007, 04:10 AM

8 posts, read 27,140 times
I love Minnesota and the people are the best...I was married to a man from Mankato.We lived in Eveleth, Iron Range and was sorry we moved to Australia.
God bless all people in Minnesota!!!!!!!

Old 08-24-2007, 02:35 PM

131 posts, read 616,183 times
"By this I mean that there are a lot of folks that will assist you if you need help basically because they just don't mind"

Finally someone who gets it. LOL

Old 08-28-2007, 12:57 PM

3 posts, read 12,374 times
I stumbled on this website today. It just so happens that I helped a young woman push her stalled car off a railroad track 2 days ago-there were people driving past everywhere and nobody stopped but me, and I'm a 36 year old woman myself. It was comical, I'm sure to see 2 small women pushing a huge car off railroad tracks- but nobody else stopped. I guess "Minnesota Nice" in my opinion, is still good old fashioned up-bringing, because there is unfortunately many "Minnesota Grumpy" people out there too!

Last edited by ooolissa; 08-28-2007 at 01:02 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 08-28-2007, 01:20 PM

73,004 posts, read 62,578,805 times
If I ever do move to Minnesota, I would love the "nice" in people. At the same time, honesty is very good too.

Old 08-28-2007, 04:25 PM

539 posts, read 1,923,736 times
It's not just Minnesota, it's that entire part of the country (MN, IA, NE, WI). The Upper Midwest (beyond Chicago) is probably the friendliest part of the entire country, and I say that as somebody originally from Alabama, a place that supposedly has lots of southern hospitality. However, I find the Midwest to be a much friendlier place than the South ever was.

Old 08-30-2007, 06:08 PM

68 posts, read 276,862 times
I have lived here 10years and would have to disagree with this being the friendliest part of the country. I'm from Western PA and there isn't any place I've been with friendlier, down to earth, helpful caring people than there. I've traveled the country for work for years and do not think that of this area.

Although, I did just get back from a vacation in SD and I must say the Black Hills folks were wonderful and friendly. Was such a welcome change of people than here in MN. Would have been a perfect trip had it not been for all the Minnesotans visiting there too

My husband and I do agree though that the older Minnesotans we have meet do seem to have a "nice" genuine quality about them. This is not true of the 30-40 age crowd we hang out/live by though. That seems to have escaped this MN generation.

Old 08-31-2007, 09:23 PM

Ok, for all of you not originally from here in MN, there is no such thing as MN nice. It's a big hype by the media. We will stop to help you on the road but if you ask to use our jumper cables we'll say no cuz we don't want to run out car battery down for the long cold winter.

Old 08-31-2007, 09:58 PM

143 posts, read 456,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kim825 View Post
My husband and I do agree though that the older Minnesotans we have meet do seem to have a "nice" genuine quality about them. This is not true of the 30-40 age crowd we hang out/live by though. That seems to have escaped this MN generation.
I think it depends a lot on what part of MN you are talking about. Minnesota nice is definitely a thing of the past if you are anywhere near the Twin cities. On the other hand, I think it's alive and well in the northern part of the state.
Basically, anywhere you have a large part of the population that isn't originally from Minnesota...for generations....MN nice doesn't exist anymore.

Old 09-01-2007, 09:16 AM

Auntie Bob said "Basically, anywhere you have a large part of the population that isn't originally from Minnesota...for generations....MN nice doesn't exist anymore."

I think that may be part of the problem, people who aren't originally from here. Cultural and social differences don't mix well sometimes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota