Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 07:46 PM

2,271 posts, read 2,650,650 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
I don't think that racism of the personal variety is very common these days, but I also think it probably does still exist, and likely does play a role in some hiring practices. I'm a woman, and have personally encountered blatant (and illegal) sexism on the job. It overall hasn't hampered my professional life, but I know it's still out there, even among people who I think should know better.
Sadly, forms of racism do still exist. And I have no doubt that it's a factor with a few hiring managers still.

Sadly, as you suggested, I see more sexism than racism in the workforce. Women, no matter what their race is, have to be extremely tough and intelligent to climb the corporate ladder. There's more demand on women to prove themselves. At the companies I worked for, women in higher level positions have had to be hard-nosed, almost losing their femininity in order to succeed.

In recent years, due to the world climate and economy, I'm seeing those harsh demands being put on both men and women in middle management. The demands to make a profit and keep the higher-up's bonuses flowing are nauseating. They're worked to death and the levels of stress that they have to deal with are inhumane. I sympathize greatly for anyone in middle management.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2011, 11:45 AM

36 posts, read 112,460 times
Some of these posts must be a joke.... Look at the current Black kids walking the streets, pants hanging off their ass with their hats sideways wanting to play gangster. They don't finish school. They have criminal records that their white counter parts don't, and it's do to profiling??? Guess what, if he commited the crime, it wasn't because it was profiling you ******* idiots! It's because they commited a crime! I hate liberals that blame profiling for blacks having criminal records.
Hmmm, it must be racism if a company doesn't want to hire them.
Not all Black people are like this, and guess what, they get hired!
Strange how that works.

Old 07-09-2011, 07:02 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,877,648 times
Stop hitting yourself!

Old 12-28-2021, 12:31 PM

1 posts, read 1,031 times
An AA male here and I've realize that many AA post about racism you have to take with a grain of salt. Yes there is racism everywhere but good grief its the same olé depressing talk- its always others and not us! AA --->we are our own worst enemy.

Old 12-28-2021, 02:04 PM

1,375 posts, read 1,202,163 times
With affirmative action policies making it twice as hard for white men to get jobs - there really isn't any reason they can't find legitimate work .... if they want it. AND just because they have no on the books jobs - it doesn't mean they aren't making money doing other things that are not taxable.

Old 12-28-2021, 08:42 PM

3,816 posts, read 6,446,754 times
C’mon people, the Minnesota forums are a big enough racial quagmire without 10 year old threads about it being revived.

Old 01-27-2022, 08:47 AM

1,348 posts, read 882,136 times
The huge refugee population probably is a huge factor.

Old 01-27-2022, 01:40 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,210,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaszilla View Post
The huge refugee population probably is a huge factor.
It’s probably the largest factor. Refugees aren’t immediately equipped nor expected to get a job right off the bat and get certain benefits that expire after a set period of time after which they are expected to find employment. Since MN is a big refugee destination for individuals from Africa it makes sense that a larger number of blacks are unemployed at any given time for this reason.

Old 01-28-2022, 03:42 AM

1,026 posts, read 447,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
How offensive. There are plenty of people out there who "want" to work. I agree that discrimination on the part of hiring managers is probably not the problem; the bigger issue is that there is a similarly large racial education gap in the Twin Cities (including a much larger dropout rate among black teens than white teens) which inevitably leads to economic disparities. There's also been much written about issues like access to jobs, that sort of thing, and that disproportionately impacts lower-income black residents.

Camden Northsider might weigh in here; he's had some great posts on this in the past (and works with these issues for a living, so is very current on the topic.)
Wow, it looks like Minneapolis has become the poster-city for racism the past couple of years.

Is the labor shortage an issue in Minneapolis? One would think this national labor shortage would alleviate some this racial employment disparity on a national level and in places like racially troubled Minneapolis.

Last edited by MPK21; 01-28-2022 at 03:57 AM..

Old 03-15-2022, 09:24 AM

2 posts, read 1,966 times
Default slavery

because the males are a protected class of criminals
the women and their children become
the enslaved or recruiters
cycle of abuse
parasitic
to break the trend
is a life dedicated to trauma
And to speak against it certain people become
crazy to discredit the narrative that goes against the latter
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota