Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 05:46 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,826,490 times

Advertisements

I don't want to write a long rant about the black vs. white dichotomy in this country, but I think part of it is attitude and this sense of entitlement, or persecution complex. People who feel that they are slighted and are owed something and don't get the satisfaction they seek carry a lot of resentment. Poor folks of all creeds can make it in this country if they work hard and provide a better life for the next generation, but there really aren't many shortcuts or handouts to succeed.

On the other hand, I also believe that there is still some animosity amongst upper-class whites and many African Americans that may cause some "hand of slight", which is totally unfair. I don't think police officers target black people only by any means but they may be more targeted than whites. I DO think that some (maybe 20%) police officers are racist/prejudiced but I don't think it would be wise for them to wrongly prosecute somebody because of their skin color alone (lawyers would have a field day -- and they sometimes do!).

The President of the United States is black and Muslim (I think), which tells me America is one of the most fair countries in the world. The system isn't perfect YET but I think it's getting there. IOW, if someone is black, poor, and from a rough neighborhood, money and other resources should be the ONLY thing that can hold that person back from succeeding in life -- not prejudice.

I'm sure many disagree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2011, 08:02 PM

2 posts, read 3,047 times
Default Wow!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
The President of the United States is black and Muslim (I think), which tells me America is one of the most fair countries in the world.
After my classmates and I got through LOL at your post, I decided to sign on and respond.

First and foremost our president is not Muslim, but is of Muslim and Irish heritage. I have read this stream from beginning to end and I must admit your comment by far is the most amusing. I find it funny how some people can use their imaginative powers, to theorize other explanations (e.g. laziness, education, immigrants UFO’s etc) besides paying attention to the one that is clearly obvious. Minneapolis is greatly inflicted with racism. The data speaks for itself. Your fluffy dream and image of America, a place where anyone can achieve anything, by default is a majority population reality; and a goal that everyone else can obtain, but only if they have the strength of Samson and the patience of Mother Theresa. I am in my last year of law school and I had considered moving to Minneapolis, but looking at this data, and some of the narrow minded and just plain stupid comments from residents on here, I feel I might as well stay in the segregated dirty south where racism is more transparent and not subtle. No I’m not looking for a job to be handed to me, but having a fair shot would be pretty cool, almost American like.

The only difference between racist views in MN, versus Louisiana is that people from Minnesota got the memo that outward manifestations of racism is kind of lame and non progressive.

On another note, I love it how when there is a conversation about racism people bring up our president. I have a few reasons why Barrack Obama won the election and none of them have to do with his intelligence, Ivy League education and his integrity.

#1. After Bush left office; our country needed a serious facelift with national relations, someone similar to him would have fostered the stereotype of Americans thinking they are better than the rest of the world.

#2 Obama was running against McCain who made the biggest mistake ever by having Sarah Palin as a running mate. She was truly an embarrassment to the Republican Party and women in government. This made the McCain campaign a joke.

#3 Obama didn’t overlook the young population, unlike his more senior opponent that hired a “Genius” as a running mate.

4# Last but not least, God had Obama’s back. Many in the black community were just hoping he and his wife would actually make it to the ballots alive. The vehement anger in the south was unreal, and the KKK no longer wears white robes to identify themselves.

[/b]

Old 06-17-2011, 11:37 PM

3,504 posts, read 3,905,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaSmurfin2012 View Post
After my classmates and I got through LOL at your post, I decided to sign on and respond.

First and foremost our president is not Muslim, but is of Muslim and Irish heritage. I have read this stream from beginning to end and I must admit your comment by far is the most amusing. I find it funny how some people can use their imaginative powers, to theorize other explanations (e.g. laziness, education, immigrants UFO’s etc) besides paying attention to the one that is clearly obvious. Minneapolis is greatly inflicted with racism. The data speaks for itself. Your fluffy dream and image of America, a place where anyone can achieve anything, by default is a majority population reality; and a goal that everyone else can obtain, but only if they have the strength of Samson and the patience of Mother Theresa. I am in my last year of law school and I had considered moving to Minneapolis, but looking at this data, and some of the narrow minded and just plain stupid comments from residents on here, I feel I might as well stay in the segregated dirty south where racism is more transparent and not subtle. No I’m not looking for a job to be handed to me, but having a fair shot would be pretty cool, almost American like.

The only difference between racist views in MN, versus Louisiana is that people from Minnesota got the memo that outward manifestations of racism is kind of lame and non progressive.

On another note, I love it how when there is a conversation about racism people bring up our president. I have a few reasons why Barrack Obama won the election and none of them have to do with his intelligence, Ivy League education and his integrity.

#1. After Bush left office; our country needed a serious facelift with national relations, someone similar to him would have fostered the stereotype of Americans thinking they are better than the rest of the world.

#2 Obama was running against McCain who made the biggest mistake ever by having Sarah Palin as a running mate. She was truly an embarrassment to the Republican Party and women in government. This made the McCain campaign a joke.

#3 Obama didn’t overlook the young population, unlike his more senior opponent that hired a “Genius” as a running mate.

4# Last but not least, God had Obama’s back. Many in the black community were just hoping he and his wife would actually make it to the ballots alive. The vehement anger in the south was unreal, and the KKK no longer wears white robes to identify themselves.

[/b]

its not all whites, theres some internal issues with blacks here as well.

although i also believe if 2 candidates are equal the white will get the nod before the black most of the time if it is a white hiring manager.

of course this isnt all employers. the hiring manager at my place is white and many non whites work there.

the numbers are too great though for there not to be some institutionalized racism in play.

manufacturing is also a big problem as others have stated, and the education gap.

the education gap is a huge internal problem in the black community, where most families are only one parent.

you are beginning to see this problem with whites though, as more and more whites are born to single parent mothers.

i myself am half black, skin color is light brown.

i have never really had problems with finding a job.

i dont know if its because my skin is lighter, or that i dont conform to a stereotypical black which some whites fear or what.

Old 06-18-2011, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaSmurfin2012 View Post

[/b]

Hahahah...what a tool!

Are you from Louisiana? Tell me about the world, PLEASE, I really need to know from a lawyer with an agenda! Just f'ing try me! Try to tell me something I don't know about adversity or how life REALLY is......I can't wait to hear this bull $H1T!

Old 06-18-2011, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
its not all whites, theres some internal issues with blacks here as well.

although i also believe if 2 candidates are equal the white will get the nod before the black most of the time if it is a white hiring manager.

of course this isnt all employers. the hiring manager at my place is white and many non whites work there.

the numbers are too great though for there not to be some institutionalized racism in play.

manufacturing is also a big problem as others have stated, and the education gap.

the education gap is a huge internal problem in the black community, where most families are only one parent.

you are beginning to see this problem with whites though, as more and more whites are born to single parent mothers.

i myself am half black, skin color is light brown.

i have never really had problems with finding a job.

i dont know if its because my skin is lighter, or that i dont conform to a stereotypical black which some whites fear or what.
Look, despite what Mr. Law above thinks, I'm nor racist or ignorant. But I simply don't believe that if you are black and educated you are not getting good job offers. To the contrary, I think most companies are looking for such candidates. If you understand how business works, you know that money is king and the rest is not important. If you can bring money/talent to the workforce, you WILL be hired no matter what your race is. Now, this isn't ALWAYS true because yes, some racism does exist, but it's definitely not the norm. I think it's easy to use race as a scapegoat if you don't get a good job that you think you were good for. I have a white friend who told my Asian friend that he can "always use the race card", and that infuriated him to no end! He doesn't want to get the job because he's Asian, he wants to be the right fit for the company, and that's commendable and I'd do the same thing. I've worked for an all-black company/division before and I never once thought they hired me to fill a quota (is there a white quota?).....I think they hired me because I was good for the job. Some people need to get over it....just a little bit. The world is NOT out to get you, at least not ALL THE TIME.

Old 06-18-2011, 09:07 AM

5,984 posts, read 13,358,500 times
There is racism everywhere, but Minnesota is one of the least racist places I've ever lived. If you want to see real racism, go to Mississippi or Louisiana. Even places like Cleveland have more racist people than Minnesota, especially within the Twin Cities. Besides, the groups that probably face the most prejudice in Minnesota are Somalis and Native Americans, not black Americans.

I'm not white, and personally, I've never had trouble finding a job because of my race or ethnic background. I don't use the "race card" to get jobs. Employers care about my qualifications, not my skin color.

Old 06-18-2011, 10:54 AM

nah minny is not that bad.

Old 06-18-2011, 11:17 AM

Quote:
nah minny is not that bad.
Not at all. I've lived in the rural Deep South, in areas where it really is "that bad." I used to get crap about my race almost on a daily basis. Minneapolis is racial equality utopia compared to the rural South.

Old 06-18-2011, 12:05 PM

where do you live northstar

Old 06-18-2011, 01:51 PM

Quote:
where do you live northstar
Marshall, but I used to live in MPLS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota