Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 11:23 AM

15,945 posts, read 12,285,067 times

Advertisements

love driving threads.. so many different driving styles come together and that whole notion of the world being 'boring' if everyone did things the same goes out the window for me. From speed nazis who slam on the brakes on the interstate and insist on going 55 in a 65 and holding everyone up, to people who insist on going 95 to 100, or think that riding 6 inches from someone's bumper will speed things up.. to that I say, you better have good insurance.. as I tap the brakes and the fault goes to you. Chuckle. I must admit to complete ignorance to zipper merging.. I always thought that people waiting to merge until the last second was just rude cocky behavior, but I have been enlightened thanks to this thread. Don't assume to take it personally, some just don't know better. It is not a 'common sense' rule.. it needs to be spelled out and explain as to why it's logical. With that said, you assume the risk of doing so with so many people thinking it's rude behavior.. don't be surprised if you have trouble getting in after flying by everyone in the other lane, as logical as the process may seem or not.

Even then.. the chain is only as strong as the weakest link. One person going 35 worried they're going to die on a busy one lane interstate, is a recipe for disaster. A little sprinkle thrown into the mix or a slow flurry, watch out! People will be at a standstill.

Old 06-17-2011, 12:46 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,875,397 times
My sister-in-law from Cleveland told me that she thought Minnesotans will pass somebody on the right instead of tailgating them so they move over out of the faster lane of traffic. I never thought about that before. I know that when somebody is going 55 in a 60-zone IN THE LEFT LANE and I'm approaching them, if they don't move over PRIOR to me getting close to their a$$ I will usually just pass them on the right. Rarely do I patiently wait for them to figure out what they are doing is wrong and illegal and tailgate them the whole time while doing so.

The funniest part of this is that even if I DO NOT tailgate them and simply pass them and move on with my journey, SOME PEOPLE will actually get mad that I didn't wait behind them like some kind of sheep and they will flash their high beams to vent their frustration! I don't get it -- are they mad that I didn't "follow the leader", or that I'm "breaking the law" by passing them on the right, or what??? It's funny though -- passive aggression in its most ironic form!!

Old 06-17-2011, 03:10 PM

1,635 posts, read 2,656,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
I know that when somebody is going 55 in a 60-zone IN THE LEFT LANE and I'm approaching them, if they don't move over PRIOR to me getting close to their a$$ I will usually just pass them on the right. Rarely do I patiently wait for them to figure out what they are doing is wrong and illegal and tailgate them the whole time while doing so. -- passive aggression in its most ironic form!!
Let's roll out your argument. You are saying that doing 55 in a 60mph speed zone is wrong & illegal.

According to MN statute 169.18 (passed in 2009), MN now has a "keep right" rule.

You also infer that you are justified in tailgating them - even though tailgating itself is illegal.

What Minnesota laws relate to tailgating?

According to Minnesota law, drivers who tailgate may be cited, whether or not a rear-end collision occurs, for following vehicles too closely.

169.18 Subd. 8 Following vehicle too closely.
(a) The driver of a motor vehicle shall not follow another vehicle more closely than is reasonable and prudent, having due regard for the speed of such vehicles and the traffic upon and the conditions of the highway.

When tailgating, and if "conditions" warrant, an officer may cite a driver for reckless or careless driving.

169.13 Reckless or careless driving.
Subdivision 1. Reckless driving. Any person who drives any vehicle in such a manner as to indicate either a willful or a wanton disregard for the safety of persons or property is guilty of reckless driving and such reckless driving is a misdemeanor.

Subdivision 2. Careless driving. Any person who operates or halts any vehicle upon any street or highway carelessly or heedlessly in disregard of the rights of others, or in a manner that endangers or is likely to endanger any property or any person, including the driver or passengers of the vehicle, is guilty of a misdemeanor.

Last edited by audadvnc; 06-17-2011 at 04:39 PM..

Old 06-17-2011, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audadvnc View Post
Let's roll out your argument. You are saying that doing 55 in a 60mph speed zone is wrong & illegal.

According to MN statute 169.18 (passed in 2009), MN now has a "keep right" rule.

You also infer that you are justified in tailgating them - even though tailgating itself is illegal.

[LEFT]What Minnesota laws relate to tailgating?

According to Minnesota law, drivers who tailgate may be cited, whether or not a rear-end collision occurs, for following vehicles too closely.

169.18 Subd. 8 Following vehicle too closely.
(a) The driver of a motor vehicle shall not follow another vehicle more closely than is reasonable and prudent, having due regard for the speed of such vehicles and the traffic upon and the conditions of the highway.

When tailgating, and if "conditions" warrant, an officer may cite a driver for reckless or careless driving.

169.13 Reckless or careless driving.
Subdivision 1. Reckless driving. Any person who drives any vehicle in such a manner as to indicate either a willful or a wanton disregard for the safety of persons or property is guilty of reckless driving and such reckless driving is a misdemeanor.

Subdivision 2. Careless driving. Any person who operates or halts any vehicle upon any street or highway carelessly or heedlessly in disregard of the rights of others, or in a manner that endangers or is likely to endanger any property or any person, including the driver or passengers of the vehicle, is guilty of a misdemeanor. [/LEFT]
Oh no -- guess I'm busted!!

No, it's illegal to not move out of the way of faster moving traffic, especially if you are in the left lane. You are allowed to pass on the right if you can safely pass someone moving in the same direction that is going slower than you. I also said I try NOT to tailgate them, instead, I just pass them. If you are one of these fools who hangs in the left lane and tries to dictate the speed that everyone else is going, that's "aggressive behavior" and you yourself could get a citation for that. It's becoming an issue in Chicago and traffic patrol are pulling people over for going too slow in the left lane of traffic.

Two wrongs don't make a right in this case, but if somebody is going too slow in the left lane do you really expect myself or anyone else for that matter to just sit there and put up with it? Sorry, it won't happen. In fact, you're likely going to cause road rage and get tailgated or bumped by another driver.

Old 06-17-2011, 03:26 PM

I can't believe you wasted your time looking that up! Are you a lawyer or something?

Old 06-17-2011, 04:39 PM

1,635 posts, read 2,656,764 times
Just trying to get some facts in the middle of this BS storm you guys are spewing...

Old 06-17-2011, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audadvnc View Post
Just trying to get some facts in the middle of this BS storm you guys are spewing...
What BS? What was false about what I had said? In fact, I don't think I stated ANY facts, just my take on driving and how I react in certain situations.

Seriously....are you one of those people who tries to block others from passing them and slows down traffic? I sincerely hope not!

Old 06-18-2011, 05:05 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,303,679 times
Ok, after a quick 5 state swing this weekend and encountering a LOT of road construction, NONE of the construction spots used zipper merging--where exactly is this the norm?? No zipper merging in Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana, Missouri or Iowa. Illinois and Indiana have big, blinking arrows about a mile and a half from the lane shut down spot telling people to merge right there--and to the trucker that was blocking the shut down lane 2 MILES before it was closed, you realize you were causing an unnecessary back up for a short road closure over a bridge .

Old 06-18-2011, 12:10 PM

455 posts, read 638,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
and to the trucker that was blocking the shut down lane 2 MILES before it was closed, you realize you were causing an unnecessary back up for a short road closure over a bridge .
That's the whole point of zipper merging. When a whole lane is not being used (when it could be used), it causes an unnecessary backup.

Old 06-19-2011, 10:47 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,371,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernsmoke View Post
That's the whole point of zipper merging. When a whole lane is not being used (when it could be used), it causes an unnecessary backup.
I think Golfgal's point is that the unwillingness to zipper merge isn't just a Minnesota problem but it extends to several other states in the midwest as that is what she witnessed on her recent roadtrip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota