Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 05:28 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,710,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSMCGirl View Post
Coincidence? I think not. Taxes increase (income or otherwise) = increased quality of life improves.
Please define "quality of life." Would you accept the premise that this might mean things to different people, or would you suggest that there is a standard definition of this term? Is it something that could be measured?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2011, 05:29 PM

3,769 posts, read 8,801,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retinoid View Post
I am from Florida and I don't think I would want an extra 7% to be taken out of my income. That is a lot for Minneapolis. Probably one of the reasons why Florida adds people almost every year.
Actually we moved from Florida and the income tax is still less than the private schools tuitions we had to pay in Florida.

Old 07-09-2011, 05:32 PM

3,769 posts, read 8,801,056 times
Quote:
When I moved here from California my income tax when up. So did my quality of life. You get what you pay for.
In my case - substitute Florida for California.

Old 07-09-2011, 05:32 PM

302 posts, read 727,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernsmoke View Post
Red herring - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Seriously, Minnesotans apparently love to justify their sky-high tax burden by pretending that it must mean that Minnesotans have better lives than people in states that are actually run efficiently.
Oh please. If it's so inefficient here, why do you stay? I certainly would not live some place that made me so miserable. Perhaps you'd enjoy life more in Alabama or Mississippi... you should run there as fast as you can!!

Old 07-09-2011, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StilltheSame View Post
In my case - substitute Florida for California.
I agree 100%, StilltheSame. My niece and nephew started school in CA and now live here in MN. The free PUBLIC schools here in Minnesota are equivalent to $30,000/yr PRIVATE schools in L.A. The schools here are amazing and I see it in the majority of kids I meet in Minnesota. VERY impressive.

Old 07-09-2011, 05:37 PM

39 posts, read 57,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StilltheSame View Post
Actually we moved from Florida and the income tax is still less than the private schools tuitions we had to pay in Florida.
Why the hell do I care about private school tuition I am 21yrs old? What real benefit would I have moving to Minnesota paying a 7% income tax vs. moving to New Hampshire or Texas and paying no income tax? I am glad you found a benefit.

Old 07-09-2011, 05:40 PM

Quote:
I agree 100%, StilltheSame. My niece and nephew started school in CA and now live here in MN. The free PUBLIC schools here in Minnesota are equivalent to $30,000/yr PRIVATE schools in L.A. The schools here are amazing and I see it in the majority of kids I meet in Minnesota. VERY impressive.
They say South Florida's schools are bad but I went to them and I would think I am not totally stupid for going to them...I was also in all AP classes and such.

You have to understand...the schools in Florida for instance are burdened as we get a lot of immigrants just like California does. Minnesota does not. So of course overall our schools look worse because there are many people who have immigrant parents (or who are immigrants themselves) and thus have issues facing them scholastically (not to mention the school districts do too). So it isn't because you pay a high state income tax, you are comparing two different things.

Old 07-09-2011, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
Please define "quality of life." Would you accept the premise that this might mean things to different people, or would you suggest that there is a standard definition of this term? Is it something that could be measured?
Well, if you Wiki it..."standard indicators of the quality of life include not only wealth and employment, but also the built environment, physical and mental health, education, recreation and leisure time, and social belonging." And I'd add things like clean cities, waking up to snow-plowed roads, accessibility to public libraries, crime management and public safety....

All things that Minnesota excels in.

Old 07-09-2011, 05:45 PM

Quote:
All things that Minnesota excels in.
The question is does Minnesota need a state income tax to excel at it? There are other states that do well and have no income tax or a lower income tax. Do you really think New Hampshire is a horrible place to live in vs. Minnesota? You can't really compare Texas and Florida to Minnesota because they are much larger and have more complex issues going on (as I said before immigration being one of them).

Old 07-09-2011, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retinoid View Post
They say South Florida's schools are bad but I went to them and I would think I am not totally stupid for going to them...I was also in all AP classes and such.

You have to understand...the schools in Florida for instance are burdened as we get a lot of immigrants just like California does. Minnesota does not. So of course overall our schools look worse because there are many people who have immigrant parents (or who are immigrants themselves) and thus have issues facing them scholastically (not to mention the school districts do too). So it isn't because you pay a high state income tax, you are comparing two different things.
Okaaaaay..... I disagree. Perhaps if CA had HIGHER taxes they'd be able to hire more teachers to deal with a bilingual society in schools (which IS the problem...NOT the "burden" of immigrants themselves but rather their lack of English skills).

I'll say it again...YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR. If you want everything for "free" you should expect a whole lot of crappy crap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota