Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 03:03 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,407,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by barney_rubble View Post
Two questions have been raised here:
Is the current level of spending necessary to achieve these benefits?
Should some members of society be asked to contribute a greater percentage of their income to government than others?

Please provide evidence that the level of school funding you support is necessary to provide education.
States that skimp on school funding rank among the worst in the nation for education. For example, Arizona, Georgia, Texas and South Carolina spend little on schools, and they have abysmal education systems.

What's more, states that don't fund schools also have high crime and poverty rates. I'm not saying that this proves that poor schools cause crime (correlation doesn't prove causation), but I can't imagine that having an abysmal education system promote societal well being.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2011, 03:06 PM

326 posts, read 871,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar22 View Post
States that skimp on school funding rank among the worst in the nation for education. For example, Arizona, Georgia, Texas and South Carolina spend little on schools, and they have abysmal education systems.

What's more, states that don't fund schools also have high crime and poverty rates. I'm not saying that this proves that poor schools cause crime (correlation doesn't prove causation), but I can't imagine that having an abysmal education system promote societal well being.
You are correct that correlation doesn't imply causation.

In order to prepare a counterargument, could you please provide a source for your claims relating to the quality of education in different states?

Old 07-15-2011, 03:08 PM

455 posts, read 637,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar22 View Post

We have discussed this on numerous occasions on this forum, but demographic differences (racial make-up, primarily) accounts for the differences in test scores, etc. If you control for race, you will find that schools in Minnesota probably are not as "superior" as you think.

Old 07-15-2011, 03:45 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,074,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kooks35 View Post
Keep in mind that the rich got their money by providing someone a product at a better value than others were able to. They've already benefited society and there was no force involved.
Can you cite any kind of source for this assertion? Most of the folks with money that I know came from money.

Old 07-15-2011, 05:54 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barney_rubble View Post
You are correct that correlation doesn't imply causation.

In order to prepare a counterargument, could you please provide a source for your claims relating to the quality of education in different states?
Feel free to do a search on any type of educational standard-graduation rates, college testing scores, etc. and you will see that the southern states, who have low funding ratios, rank in the bottom 10% in every category related to education. States with high taxes and an educated population (MN, WI, IA, MA, VA have excellent schools, excellent results from their schools). Better yet, go spend a week in any of these low performing states-Missouri, Mississippi, Alabama and it won't take long to figure out that the schools there just are NOT very good.

Old 07-15-2011, 06:42 PM

47 posts, read 108,658 times
"Frickin' Republicans. Gov. Dayton has tried to work with them, has tried to compromise, and they just wouldn't budge on their far-right economic agenda."

That quote's enough to tell me not to read the rest of your comment. You can't be serious. The legislature gave the governor a balanced budget, which he agreed like 90% to...and he chose to veto it. He did not compromise on anything until the end when he saw public opinion was against him.

Old 07-15-2011, 07:37 PM

326 posts, read 871,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Feel free to do a search on any type of educational standard-graduation rates, college testing scores, etc. and you will see that the southern states, who have low funding ratios, rank in the bottom 10% in every category related to education. States with high taxes and an educated population (MN, WI, IA, MA, VA have excellent schools, excellent results from their schools). Better yet, go spend a week in any of these low performing states-Missouri, Mississippi, Alabama and it won't take long to figure out that the schools there just are NOT very good.
WingInstitute > NAEP Scores vs. Funding by State

The correlation is modest. But I can think of another factor that might explain it:

WingInstitute > Are Student Achievement and Poverty Related?

Old 07-15-2011, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Get real. Minnesota is plain vanilla compared to Mississippi and Alabama. You guys like to say you are progressive and say Southerners are racists and so on. The reality is that they are totally different worlds. To sit there and say that schools in those states can't educate people is ignorant. There are a lot more issues in those states. It's not low taxes. It's demographics. Why don't we compare the top students in all these states... I guarantee you (i.e., it is literally impossible) that you cannot find a single Minnesotan with higher test scores than I had, and I grew up in the South. I get really sick of listening to this crap. Minnesota doesn't even spend top money on their schools (compared to other states), so you can't attribute higher average test scores to more money spent on students.

If there is one thing that irks me to no end, it is Minnesotans bragging about how much better their schools are than everywhere else. It's called an inferiority complex.

Old 07-15-2011, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Can you cite any kind of source for this assertion? Most of the folks with money that I know came from money.
Even if all people with money inherited it, we would still benefit from having people who can invest large sums of money in enterprises which actually do make everyone's lives better. We actually need rich people in order to continue to progress as a society.

Old 07-16-2011, 01:09 AM

1,055 posts, read 1,868,064 times
Sure seems to be a lot of smoke being blown in Minnesota the last few years and politicos trying to convince us that the poison is just good old fashioned kool-aid. Minnesotan's are a level headed, independent and EDUCATED population on the whole, eventually they will remember the roots of their greatness and make the decisons that are right for themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
View detailed profiles of: