Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 01:13 PM

378 posts, read 707,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
So, in your view, the primary advantage that public schools have over homeschooling is that they provide an efficient means of warehousing our children, enabling both of their parents to participate in the workforce, with the end result being, "growth in economic output." I think that's a rather frightening view of the place that individuals have in society. Even if one were to accept these rather cynical standards, the higher productivity of the more accomplished home-schoolers is not factored in.
Public vs. private schools is debatable, I'm not making a case for either one there.

You can try to make it sound bad, but this isn't different from any other choice people make. Families can grow their own food, build their own furniture, teach their own kids, etc if they want to. Most people don't b/c they can get more and better goods/services by specializing their skills and purchasing what they don't make themselves from a marketplace.

Parents who homeschool clearly care about their kids and want them to excel academically. These factors make a huge difference. I'd guess that public/private school kids from similar households probably do well too. You're free to disagree with this conclusion, though I'd be interested to know why.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2011, 01:18 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,705,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2018 View Post
Public vs. private schools is debatable, I'm not making a case for either one there.

You can try to make it sound bad, but this isn't different from any other choice people make. Families can grow their own food, build their own furniture, teach their own kids, etc if they want to. Most people don't b/c they can get more and better goods/services by specializing their skills and purchasing what they don't make themselves from a marketplace.

Parents who homeschool clearly care about their kids and want them to excel academically. These factors make a huge difference. I'd guess that public/private school kids from similar households probably do well too. You're free to disagree with this conclusion, though I'd be interested to know why.
Because not all benefits are tangible and individuals are properly valued for deeper reasons than their ability to produce goods and services.

Old 07-26-2011, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Because not all benefits are tangible and individuals are properly valued for deeper reasons than their ability to produce goods and services.
I was referring specifically to the issue of achievement, any comment there?

This isn't a normative argument. Debating values on the internet doesn't end well, I'm not telling you what I believe is right and I won't morally judge what others value. All I'm doing is making a realist case that expanding homeschooling to include most of society would reduce efficiency and labor force participation, shrink output, and lower the economic standard of living. If you think the intangible benefits outweigh that cost, cool. We might agree more than you think on that issue.

I write my posts kind of fast, if I mistakenly used language earlier that implied I was making a moral judgment I apologize. That was not my intent.

Old 07-26-2011, 01:44 PM

Quote:
I was referring specifically to the issue of achievement, any comment there?

This isn't a normative argument. Debating values on the internet doesn't end well, I'm not telling you what I believe is right and I won't morally judge what others value. All I'm doing is making a realist case that expanding homeschooling to include most of society would reduce efficiency and labor force participation, shrink output, and lower the economic standard of living. If you think the intangible benefits outweigh that cost, cool. We might agree more than you think on that issue.

I write my posts kind of fast, if I mistakenly used language earlier that implied I was making a moral judgment I apologize. That was not my intent.
We likely just have our wires crossed. I also apologize for any offejust given. I was just arguing for free choice in the matter, not necessarily one method over another. I suspect that we'd agree that families can and should decide for themselves whether the potential benefits of a private education or homeschooling outweigh the economic costs.

Old 07-26-2011, 01:49 PM

Quote:
We likely just have our wires crossed. I also apologize for any offejust given. I was just arguing for free choice in the matter, not necessarily one method over another. I suspect that we'd agree that families can and should decide for themselves whether the potential benefits of a private education or homeschooling outweigh the economic costs.
Absolutely, I support choice in this area and I'd be interested in hearing more about proposals to expand the options available.

My position is just that the costs of homeschooling are high enough that there will probably always be a broad need for education services. Whether public or private, I think society has a strong interest in seeing that schools are high-quality and cost-effective.

Old 07-26-2011, 01:57 PM

9,741 posts, read 11,152,452 times
Quote:
So, in your view, the primary advantage that public schools have over homeschooling is that they provide an efficient means of warehousing our children......
I love economics.

I have shifted my view points after reading 2018's analysis. I did a detailed cost benefit analysis on home schooling versus public schools and I discovered even more waste. After modeling the data, I verified that my initial hypothesis did in fact yield the results that I predicted.

In conclusion I was able to enhance my income projections substantially by avoiding procreation altogether. In layman's terms, you can keep more money if you don't have kids. I suspect I can save even more if I terminate my pets.

Old 07-26-2011, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield
So, in your view, the primary advantage that public schools have over homeschooling is that they provide an efficient means of warehousing our children......

I love economics.

I have shifted my view points after reading 2018's analysis. I did a detailed cost benefit analysis on home schooling versus public schools and I discovered even more waste. After modeling the data, I verified that my initial hypothesis did in fact yield the results that I predicted.

In conclusion I was able to enhance my income projections substantially by avoiding procreation altogether. In layman's terms, you can keep more money if you don't have kids. I suspect I can save even more if I terminate my pets.
My quote was, in retrospect and after hashing it out together, an unfair characterization of 2018's position.

Old 07-26-2011, 03:07 PM

9,741 posts, read 11,152,452 times
Quote:
My quote was, in retrospect and after hashing it out together, an unfair characterization of 2018's position.
I didn't hit "post" until after he responded a couple times (I didn't see his rebuttals).

I too withdrawl my earlier conclusion. His later posts seem sound.

Old 07-26-2011, 03:15 PM

Edited

I wrote this prior to post #68. I'll just leave the part that is relevant now. It's nice to see that we can all agree and get along

My message - which has turned into a bit of a tangent - is that the success of some homeschool families shouldn't be used as an excuse to avoid looking for ways to improve the quality and cost-effectiveness of our school systems.

Old 07-26-2011, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Edited

I wrote this prior to post #68. I'll just leave the part that is relevant now. It's nice to see that we can all agree and get along

My message - which has turned into a bit of a tangent - is that the success of some homeschool families shouldn't be used as an excuse to avoid looking for ways to improve the quality and cost-effectiveness of our school systems.
That makes perfect sense to me and I agree with you completely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
View detailed profiles of: