Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 10:45 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,364,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Take the North/Eden Prairie school issues--everyone is up in arms that the EP families don't want to redraw district lines but the same issue at North for all practical purposes and it's just fine and dandy and we will keep a school open that is costing the district millions just so kids don't have to go out of their neighborhood to school--but it's not ok if the EP families want to keep their neighborhood schools????
How does this have any relation whatsoever to Wigger Wednesday?

Old 08-11-2011, 01:27 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,338,075 times
Quote:
No, I have "big picture understanding" and I understand the origins of the "joke". It is still kids being stupid. Kids act stupid in Minneapolis too.....
Don't get the situation twisted. Wigger is a white *igger. It's not a joke!

Would you be offended if men dressed as women and called it "Munt Monday"? I don't think you'd like women to be referred to as the "c" word just like I don't like blacks referred to as the "n" word.

I'm not a proponent of the lawsuit. My issue is people on this MB defending the word wigger.

Old 08-11-2011, 02:16 PM

1,935 posts, read 5,829,251 times
Quote:
REALLY???? I HIGHLY doubt it.

Take the North/Eden Prairie school issues--everyone is up in arms that the EP families don't want to redraw district lines but the same issue at North for all practical purposes and it's just fine and dandy and we will keep a school open that is costing the district millions just so kids don't have to go out of their neighborhood to school--but it's not ok if the EP families want to keep their neighborhood schools????
You're jumbling and mis-quoting two very separate issues- the EP redistricting issue is not related in the least. North has declining enrollment as a result of the closure of many of the schools that historically fed into it, issues with prior redistricting and marketing of the school, and the explosion of charter schools in the area (and to a lesser extent, open enrollment). And North IS being closed, unfortunately- and part of the issue with this is that traditional public schools are being replaced by charters that are held less accountable to a variety of standards. Not sure how you are comparing the two issues at all.

And yes- I'm going to suggest to some majority nonwhite schools in Minneapolis to start having annual Honkee Cracker-Ass Cracker Tuesdays, or "Oreo" Mondays- it's all just in good fun and "kids being kids", right? It's definitely an interesting phenomenon in our country- when boys misbehave, it's "just boys being boys" (vs. 'bad girls'), and when white kids misbehave- "they're just being normal dumb kids" (it's not their fault!). Maybe their ignorance isn't their fault, but that doesn't make it right/OK.

Old 08-11-2011, 02:32 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,920,807 times
What makes "Wigger" funny, is that the kids who qualify as such are black gangsta wannabes . . . they are ridiculous to begin with . . . that is the joke . . . I don't understand why people don't get it . . .

The reason the word is not objectionable (in my mind) is because kids that age, actually refer to themselves as *iggers . . . or *ig . . .so, in that context, it is not a bad thing . . .it's just making fun of white people who have a need to act the like black gangsta rappers.

If they dressed in blackface, that would be objectionable, but as it is, they are making fun of dumb white kids and since white people have cultural rank, that is "ok" - and what I mean by that is that no one is going to be hurt if white people are made fun of (as opposed to making fun of some minority groups outside of a comedy club - it's ok in the club, but outside it is a social commentary that is not tolerated).

Old 08-11-2011, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post
Don't get the situation twisted. Wigger is a white *igger. It's not a joke!

Would you be offended if men dressed as women and called it "Munt Monday"? I don't think you'd like women to be referred to as the "c" word just like I don't like blacks referred to as the "n" word.

I'm not a proponent of the lawsuit. My issue is people on this MB defending the word wigger.
Are you black? If so, tell us why you don't want white people made fun of. If you are not, I don't think you get to vote on the word *igger and when it is offensive.

Old 08-11-2011, 05:47 PM

455 posts, read 637,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
That would only be a fair comparison if those kids at North titled the day "Honkee Cracker-Ass Cracker Tuesday."
Sorry, but that comment is stupid.

Old 08-11-2011, 05:53 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,338,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
Are you black? If so, tell us why you don't want white people made fun of. If you are not, I don't think you get to vote on the word *igger and when it is offensive.
1/2. Nobody "voted", it just is...

Old 08-11-2011, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post
1/2. Nobody "voted", it just is...
Can you please say what your particular objection is? What is offensive to you? That white kids were being made fun of or something else?

Old 08-11-2011, 07:22 PM

1,935 posts, read 5,829,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
Can you please say what your particular objection is? What is offensive to you? That white kids were being made fun of or something else?
Your question has been answered multiple times in this thread already- go back and read earlier posts.

Old 08-11-2011, 07:35 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,364,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernsmoke View Post
Sorry, but that comment is stupid.
How so? The main reason that Wigger Wednesday was so publicized was due to the offensive name that was given to the event. A bunch of black kids dressing like preppy white kids at North can't be compared to what happened in Red Wing unless you include an offensive name given to the unsanctioned student event, no?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota