Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 03:11 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,337,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
(1) It's not exceptional, but a lot depends on how you measure things. I know several people who have $millions in farmland, for example, but their actual ability to generate cash to go on trips, purchase gadgets, etc., is extremely limited. You can't spend land.

(2) Is wealth really the only definition of success?
(1) that wasn't the question. Net worth (by definition) isn't necessarily liquid.

(2) No, not the only thing (and I never claimed it was...but nice beginning for a straw man argument) , but it does demonstrate which families have the ability to recognize and utilize the great advantages this county provides to those that are willing to grab a hold and go for it...

Old 08-22-2011, 03:29 PM

1,635 posts, read 2,648,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalcityguy View Post
it does demonstrate which families have the ability to recognize and utilize the great advantages this county provides to those that are willing to grab a hold and go for it...
So, how do you feel about those healthy young inner city dudes that sit around on their bums all day sucking down weed and malt liquor on the welfare dime?

Does that also count as recognizing and utilizing all the bulls$t you're spewing about millionaire welfare cheats, and how it applies to my end of town? And if not, why not?

Old 08-22-2011, 08:42 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,015,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by audadvnc View Post
... to rip off the US taxpayer for $1.5 mil. If that's your idea of a sterling individual, it explains why your leaders are the moral midgets they are, and your society is in the predicament it's in. The fact that you give her a pass in the face of this blatant corruption shows how willing you are to bend your principles to get a scumbag like her elected.

Principles? Bah. It's all about power, isn't it?
How so?

Old 08-22-2011, 09:39 PM

455 posts, read 636,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
If she were a liberal, they would be building monuments to her!
Quite true. She is talented, extremely generous with her time and resources (as evidenced by taking in 20+ foster kids), and has continued to beat the odds for as long as I have been watching her career.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poletop1 View Post
It is easy to run businesses when you receive business welfare from the government, run fraudulent therapy, a high paying government job with the best possible benefits and have friends in high places. Even invalids like Bachmann can have high income.
This is a shining example of what liberals think it means to engage in a political discussion--irrelevant blather, vicious name-calling, and outright lies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Not a Bachman fan at all but you clearly do not understand how farm subsidies work and calling them "corruption" is actually quite bizarre.

Agricultural subsidy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
To be fair, he doesn't understand how many things work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota Spring View Post
None of this changes my opinion of her. She is still an incompetent, crazy ding-bat.
We can all thank the voters of her district for releasing her stupidity on the rest of us and making Minnesota a laughing stock.
Whatever...

Old 08-22-2011, 10:29 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,031,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalcityguy View Post
(1) that wasn't the question. Net worth (by definition) isn't necessarily liquid.

(2) No, not the only thing (and I never claimed it was...but nice beginning for a straw man argument) , but it does demonstrate which families have the ability to recognize and utilize the great advantages this county provides to those that are willing to grab a hold and go for it...
My grandfather, a skilled but not well-educated man, started a granite business in eastern South Dakota during the great depression and was able to send all of his kids to college. I have nothing but respect for that kind of drive.

There are thousands if not millions of hard-working people out here who never get recognition or credit for their efforts or their legacy. I will never forget that, or what my grandfather did to make my life better. Because of him, I was able to get a very good education, and I have no regrets at all about the direction I've chosen for my life.

He wasn't a politician. He never made millions. Does that lessen his work ethic?

Old 08-22-2011, 10:54 PM

455 posts, read 636,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
My grandfather, a skilled but not well-educated man, started a granite business in eastern South Dakota during the great depression and was able to send all of his kids to college. I have nothing but respect for that kind of drive.

There are thousands if not millions of hard-working people out here who never get recognition or credit for their efforts or their legacy. I will never forget that, or what my grandfather did to make my life better. Because of him, I was able to get a very good education, and I have no regrets at all about the direction I've chosen for my life.

He wasn't a politician. He never made millions. Does that lessen his work ethic?
To answer your question--obviously it is possible to have a strong work ethic without being a millionaire politician.

But I think I can speak for capitalcityguy in asking you why you are asking that question, as if capitalcityguy said that only millionaire politicians have strong work ethics... It seems like you are trying to set up an argument that isn't there.

Old 08-22-2011, 11:01 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,031,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernsmoke View Post
To answer your question--obviously it is possible to have a strong work ethic without being a millionaire politician.

But I think I can speak for capitalcityguy in asking you why you are asking that question, as if capitalcityguy said that only millionaire politicians have strong work ethics... It seems like you are trying to set up an argument that isn't there.
I'm just sick of people pointing out wealthy and/or flashy folks as paragons of the American way. It's bull****.

Look at some of what Bachmann is saying. That, coupled with her desire to be President, almost certainly indicates that there are some screws loosening up there. IMO. But that's true of everybody I've seen running thusfar, again IMO.

Old 08-22-2011, 11:06 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,801,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cold as ice 56 View Post
I heard this a few day's ago that Bachmann is worth 2.1 million dollars? Is this true? Does anyone know any info about this? Heck I just found out she is a tax attorney!!!! I live in Minnesota and must have my head in the clouds. Oh well!!!
Any opinions?
Peanuts my friend, mere peanuts...Nancy Pelosi is among the richest members of Congress,[107] with an estimated net worth of approximately $58 million, the 12th highest estimated net worth in Congress...now we are talkin some bucks.

Old 08-23-2011, 06:37 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,648,444 times
Libs, don't kid yourselves. The Dems are into corruption as bad as the Repugs are.

Old 08-23-2011, 09:56 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,337,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernsmoke View Post

Thx for the assist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
View detailed profiles of: