Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 09:33 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,089,277 times

Advertisements

Just ran across this and thought it was interesting:

What Are the Happiest States in the US? - Yahoo! News

Hawaii is #1. What a shock.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2011, 10:11 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,375,702 times
North Dakota is #2? I'm going to go ahead and declare shenadigans on this one.

Old 08-22-2011, 10:13 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,089,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
North Dakota is #2? I'm going to go ahead and declare shenadigans on this one.
I know people who live in North Dakota and who love living there. FWIW.

Old 08-22-2011, 10:28 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,375,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Obviously there are people who do, otherwise there would not be 672,000 living there. This was just my attempt at a joke. Although admittedly I would never go out of my way to live there either...it's probably near the bottom of my list.

Old 08-22-2011, 12:02 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,314,203 times
I know a lot of younger people that are heading toward ND for jobs. They are crying for workers up there, especially with the oil industries. Simple customer service jobs are offering full relocation packages and nice, NICE starting salaries. ND is actually a very pretty state.

Old 08-22-2011, 03:25 PM

1,635 posts, read 2,657,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
I think that the fact that it has a lower population now than 100 years ago should be taken into consideration.

Old 08-22-2011, 09:52 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,028,467 times
If you can get a job in Fargo, then North Dakota is a great place to live. A lot of the growth is out by the oil, which is farther north and west, however. From what I hear, you can make pretty decent pay, but there's a severe housing shortage and many people end up in trailers.

That said, when I was in Fargo for school one year, it was a really nice place. Despite not typically liking places like that (very sprawled, car-oriented, quite a few of the weird developments with too many cul-de-sacs), I have a certain soft spot for the city and would certainly at least consider settling there.

Old 08-26-2011, 08:40 PM

Location: Moved to Gladstone, MO in June 2022 and back to Minnesota in September 2022
2,072 posts, read 5,064,137 times
Well, most likely the people who live there, live there because they like it. Or they have a really good job. People who don't like it or people without jobs, leave. I have an aunt who lives in ND and likes it, but if she were to lose her job or get laid off, which isn't going to happen, but hypothetically if she did she'd have to move because there is no way she'd be able to find another job there that'd be comparable to her current job there. You can even say the same for smaller places in Minnesota, like Marshall for example. If someone lost their job at Schwans(again, hypothetically) then where else in Marshall or any of the surrounding towns would they find a comparable job? They'd probably have to leave.

That's probably also the reason why states like North Dakota have low unemployment rates as well.

Old 08-27-2011, 06:28 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,314,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical_Car View Post
Well, most likely the people who live there, live there because they like it. Or they have a really good job. People who don't like it or people without jobs, leave. I have an aunt who lives in ND and likes it, but if she were to lose her job or get laid off, which isn't going to happen, but hypothetically if she did she'd have to move because there is no way she'd be able to find another job there that'd be comparable to her current job there. You can even say the same for smaller places in Minnesota, like Marshall for example. If someone lost their job at Schwans(again, hypothetically) then where else in Marshall or any of the surrounding towns would they find a comparable job? They'd probably have to leave.

That's probably also the reason why states like North Dakota have low unemployment rates as well.
US Bank, Southwest MN State, Avera Medical Center, North Star, to name a few...

Old 08-27-2011, 06:47 PM

7,507 posts, read 4,400,032 times
I am happy and content living in Minnesota.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
View detailed profiles of: