U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 07:31 AM

33 posts, read 72,889 times

Advertisements

I spent the early part of my childhood and many, many of those family vacations on the beautiful lakes of Minnesota. Also, my father spent the last 20 years of his life as a photographer in I'Falls.
Once again, the wander lust bug has bit me! I may be 50 years old, but I LOVE adventure!
The Northeastern portion of Mn has always called to me.
Any advice on the Ely area?
Yes, no?
I have no personal baggage, such as family. Am a custom knife maker by trade, so am not afected by weather.
All I need is an internet connection!
Thanks for any HELPFUL advice.

Last edited by golfgal; 09-06-2007 at 07:00 AM.. Reason: removed ad link
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2007, 03:03 PM

987 posts, read 3,491,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbaknife View Post
I Am a custom knife maker by trade, so am not afected by weather.
Is that the trick? Custom knife makers are impervious to -50F?

No good advice to give, but I'm a sucker for small artisan trades. I think it'll be a great thing for Minnesota to have another small business move in and set up shop.

Old 08-16-2007, 05:37 PM

33 posts, read 72,889 times
Let me re-phrase that:
My livelihood is not affected by the weather.

Old 08-17-2007, 12:43 PM

242 posts, read 768,078 times
I haven't been to Ely in years but my aunt goes down there (from the Falls) several times a year for one festival or another. The Blueberry Festival is in Ely, right? So you might have a market for your knives there. Just a thought anyways.

Old 09-05-2007, 11:04 AM

143 posts, read 420,213 times
I visited Ely for the first time a couple of years ago while I was working on the Census and was very impressed.
It's a really cute little town with a lot of boutique type shops that should match very well with your trade.
If you are outdoorsy...you should love it up there.

This might answer any questions you have.
Ely, MN Chamber Of Commerce - Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness Outfitting, Lodging, Shopping, and Dining

Old 09-06-2007, 03:06 PM

102 posts, read 420,210 times
Well I'm the guy to go to if you want Ely info. I was born and raised there. I've spent the last 3 years in Minneapolis for college but other than that I lived in Ely my whole life. It's a unique little town with a lot to offer. I didn't like it growing up just because that's where I was born and I wanted to move to the city. But it's a very nice little town. Lakes everywhere surrounding it. Great for camping,fishing, and other outdoor activities if you're into that. I think there's a lot of small minded locals that live there but you will get that in any small town. I hated the winters there but I'm not a cold weather person at all. Winters are brutal in Ely. It doesn't get any colder than NE Minnesota in the US. But it all depends on what you prefer for weather and what you can handle. If the cold weather isn't too much of an issue for you I would recommend Ely.

Old 09-06-2007, 06:23 PM

58 posts, read 212,906 times
Default Ely is great!!!

I have been to Ely on a couple of occasions. The most amazing beautfil scenery in Minnesota. It's very close to the Lake Ely, has some absolutely gorgeous nature that I have ever seen in the world.

I think it's worth while moving for someone who like it calm, close to nature, it's a nice small nice community. Thumbs up.

Also, Ely is sort of a hunting/fishing land, so your knife business may become a popular place, who knows.!

Old 09-08-2007, 01:17 PM

106 posts, read 525,369 times
Ely is fabulous. But if you are looking at Ely, you may want to take a day or two to swing through Grand Marais. I think both places are great for artisans, and each has its own advantage (Ely is the gateway to the Boundary Waters with incredible inland lakes, and Grand Marais of course sits on Lake Superior -- could be a town on the coast in Maine).

If you want lakeshore living, you'll have high prices based on all of the summer home competition from people. If all you are looking for is a lot or piece of land near town, I bet you can find something pretty reasonable.

Old 09-19-2007, 04:26 PM

26 posts, read 162,761 times
I've lived in both Ely and Grand Marais, and am trying to figure out how to move back to one of those towns.....as others have said, if you can handle the winters, which are most definitely the coldest and snowiest in the whole U.S. (with the exception of interior/Fairbanks Alaska) then I'd say go for it. Remember the coldest temp. ever recorded in the lower 48 occured in Tower MN, 20 miles from Ely, and that was the official temp. Other non weather service designated sites were as cold as 72 below that year. But if you can tolerate it, or even better, love the cold and winter....go for it. I mean, if you've got a job/career, or are retired, Ely is a great town.

Grand Marais is a nice town too, but I think with you're work with knives etc, Ely would be a better choice!

Old 09-19-2007, 05:16 PM

50,683 posts, read 47,090,082 times
Hey, it's Jessica Biel's hometown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota